996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weight Savings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
So is it or is it not the same piece that CJV mentioned that saved almost 50 lbs? Also how did you get 7lbs from the Wiper delete when most people get 3lbs?
When S Car Go Racing installed the Tilton clutch for me about three years ago I was told they removed the accuator and to the best of my knowledge it reduced approx. fifty pounds. I also stated above that if anyone called Rob at S Car Go Racing he could give you all the particulars.

Did anyone call him?

Last edited by cjv; 01-29-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:06 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
heres the one for straight pipes:

996 Twin Turbo Sports Imported Racing Catalytic Converters with
Muffler Bypass Pipes $1,995/set click to enlargeDescription:
  • All 996TT/X50/GT2 Products
  • Imported sports racing catalytic converters with straight pipes that eliminate the bulky heavy stock 997TT factory exhaust system. Essentially your 996 Twin Turbo you will have sports race catalytic converters connected to straight pipes to your tips on both sides. Very aggressive sports car exotic sports car sound like a 935 and 962. Street and 50 state emissions legal and complies with factory Porsche warranty. Very cool and very aggressive sound.
  • Saves 50lbs versus stock 996TT exhaust system.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:07 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
yeehaaa i get a thread of mine to be a sticky! come on guys lets do this !

Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 AM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
You guys come up with an accurate, comprehensive weight savings list and I'll make it a sticky.

FYI...my RWD conversion saved me 120 lbs. That's front axles, driveshaft and diff guts.
How did you weigh this stuff scott?
I took 4 parts,
1. the heavy cast differential,
2. the light drive shaft,
3. R front axle
4. L front axle.
I weighed myself on a very accurate scale then held each individual piece and weighed mysel again and subtracted the difference. The total was about 68 lbs. Am I missing some parts that you weighed and I didnt?
Tom, I did the same with the rear wiper assembly and got 3.2 lbs.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
here is some interesting reading on weight loss nuts from "another" forum

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=122709
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=186640

also remember a gallon of gas weighs 6.25 pounds so 8 gallons or half a tank is another 50 pounds and a full tank during a race is an extra 100 pounds!!

figure each decrease in 10 pounds is about an additional hp!

Remember YOUR results may vary!

Last edited by tom kerr; 01-29-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I just removed the spare tire and other associated components, as well as the rear wiper and associated parts.

Weights on my scales (3 different sets) were as follows:

Spare tire and wheel was 28 lb 8 oz. Jack assy., tool pouch, inflation pump, wheel well cover and
wing bolt with washer was 10 lb 10 oz.
TOTAL for wheel well contents was 39 pounds 2 ounces.

TOTAL for wiper assembly and all related components was 3 pounds 13.5 ounces.

Last edited by Al Norton; 01-29-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
I just removed the spare tire and other associated components, as well as the rear wiper and associated parts.

Weights on my scales (3 different sets) were as follows:

Spare tire and wheel was 28 lb 8 oz. Jack assy., tool pouch, inflation pump, wheel well cover and
wing bolt with washer was 10 lb 10 oz.
TOTAL for wheel well contents was 39 pounds 2 ounces.

TOTAL for wiper assembly and all related components was 3 pounds 13.5 ounces.
Thx. So are you going to be going without your spare now? Ive thought about doing so as well but what about getting a flat?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
Thx. So are you going to be going without your spare now? Ive thought about doing so as well but what about getting a flat?
I am only going to remove mine in preperation for track days. For street driving it will stay in the car.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Dont 997tt's come without a spare?

Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rwm514
I'll simply call AAA for the tow. Just kidding. I took everything out to weigh it since we didn't have an accurate total for the contents in the spare tire well. I'm enjoying this assemblage of data and I want to help it be as accurate as possible.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:45 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
my cayenne has no "spare" as do many other cars these days. But best bet is to just take it out at the track.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by F**K
Wow, this is exactly what I've been wanting to do. My sunroof does nothing but rattle, steal headroom, and **** me off!

How'd it work out, any fitment or other installation issues? Is a carbon roof safe for street use? Would it break up in a rollover?
fitment was good, i have a roll cage for the above mentioned risk on the street.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 AM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
but how heavy are speakers and door paddings?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 AM
alenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to all
Originally Posted by wirx
but how heavy are speakers and door paddings?
If you mean the sound isolation, it's not worth taking it out. But if you mean the whole inside of the door, then we're talkin'.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:49 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
For What it's Worth I remove a couple of items and weighed them last weekend: Figures from my C2 - Space saver spare, w/ toolkit an jack was 34.5 lbs

My rear seats and associated hardware were just about 22 lbs on the nose.

I have yet to remove the rear belts and buckles but when it warms up again I'll post exact weights for them.

C2 may be a bit different from turbo...but it seems like the accurate weight for the spare and tools should be 34-38 lbs

Accurate weight for seats 21-25 lbs.

***Also for those of you that head to the track...a full windsheild washer resivoir will weight a pretty penny. Making sure it's empty will save you 10 lbs or so***

-Andy

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 01-31-2007 at 11:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight Savings