996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rofl, BIG daddy brakes ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Ok, is there something you have not done right on your car?
LOL
Next are the ERP solid mounts and subframe bushings... and billet upper/lower control arms.. all on the way... Then IM OFF to Tulsa for a 1/4 run...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-29-2007, 03:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
LOL damn, my big yellow's are big enough!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Marksi's a Pimp. We all know it!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
More pistons doesn't even remotely = more power. Braking power is a function of Pressure, (force applied by pistons x pad area), rotor size, and pad compound. To a certain point additional pistons will aid in cooling capcity, but not as much as you would think.

Honestly I think those 12 piston calipers are a joke. You would enounter so much caliper flex it wouldn't even be funny.

I'd be willing to bet a brembo GTR monobloc (8 piston) or even a baer/brembo 6 piston monobloc would dominate those foo foo tinker toys in a real race environment.

Look at what the alms/GT/GT2 cars run... monster brembo/AP/Alcon 6-8 piston monobloc calipers with full recirculating fluid system.

12 piston makes you think your is bigger.
bad *** Alcon monobloc really DOES make it bigger.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM
mitchmarket is infamous around these parts
Yeah but, everybody looking at those 12 piston calipers is thinking, "Hey, that's sick, I want a set!"

So, the Brembo monster race set is probably marginally better for all out endurance racing (@ twice the price) but, these 12 pistons are amazing to look at. Let all be honest, we all like making our 996 Turbo look great; this is just something new that people will buy. :-)

Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Do you need a bigger clutch cylinder to move all that fluid? It seems without that you will get the spongiest brake pedal.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:27 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Jean and Marski

What's the weight of the whole assembly. Can you still use Pagid pads?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Which is the "right" direction for rotors. If you look at the M5 pics, you see how the direction of the drilled holes are? On some cars, I see them spread outwards towards the rear but on the M5, the holes lead toward the center.
Is there a difference?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Good looking brakes....

but I've always understood the weak link in stopping quickly is the contact patch of the tire on the pavement. Thus if the standard pad / piston set up has enough braking torque to lock the wheels (or take it to the point of ABS cutting in) I'm puzzled as to how this monster set up could help that much ?
Also I wonder how it affects the unsprung weight ?

A case of 'brake bling' perhaps ???

Last edited by timf; 01-29-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
At what HP level are the stockers no good?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vicious
Honestly I think those 12 piston calipers are a joke. You would enounter so much caliper flex it wouldn't even be funny.
ROTORA MADE IN CHINA... might be taiwan...they wanted to put stuff on my car 3 years ago.. i was like f-ck no... ALCON ROCKS... i got stoptech right now on the GT-R...but will transfer to Brembo or Alcon soon...

Originally Posted by Vicious
12 piston makes you think your is bigger.
bad *** Alcon monobloc really DOES make it bigger.
DAM RIGHT... +9 for that

Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
At what HP level are the stockers no good?
There is no level. HP doesn't matter.

As Timf said earlier, the weak link in stopping ability is the contact patch of the tire on the pavement. If the standard pad / piston set up has enough brake torque to lock the wheels, or take it to the point of ABS cutting in (it does both), you won't stop any quicker unless you have taken your brakes to the point of fade failure (like on a track, for instance).

That having been said; there are other benefits of an aftermarket brake system that makes them attractive. More resistance to fade and better feel are the primary ones, IMO. Less weight is another one.

Mark, Jean (or anyone)...do you guys know the maximum size calipers I can install on my car with my 18" BBS RS-GT's? Just for the improvements in feel and reduction in weight, I may be looking at an aftermarket setup down the road.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 01-30-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 AM
E46MTrizy is infamous around these parts
I havent posted much on this site since im still looking for my 996TT but I saw this thread and HAD to post!
I had the 355mm Rotoras 6Piston Front and 4 Piston Rears on my e46 M3.
These brakes are the reason Y i sold the car, after doing the upgrade and following the proper break in I had serious vibration problems resulting from the pads/rotors ... After speaking to Rotora I was advised to attemp to have the Rotors Cut, which just made the problem worse... Rotora then sold me new front rotors rings and new street pads to go with it. Within 3 months the same problems started again. I did not track my car at all and these problems resulted from daily driving. This in the end was the reason I sold my car... I was so fed up with these problems I parted out my car and sold it.

I regret not spending the extra money on StopTech or Brembos!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Wow. That's some great info, Trizy.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 AM
E46MTrizy is infamous around these parts
Here are some pix of the rotor....
Im going to even assuming that the 996TT 355mm kit is identical to the e46 M3 kit with just a diffrent hat's and mounting brackets! Buyer Beware

BTW there is about 3000 miles on these rotors

Last edited by E46MTrizy; 01-30-2007 at 01:24 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rofl, BIG daddy brakes ...