996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
Just scaled the car after a host of upgrades.

3246 with a full tank of gas. Still have heavy factory sport seats, airbags, bumper supports to go as well as some undercoating and sound deadening material which we'll tackle when we do the cage install in the coming weeks.
What exactly is your weight loss list? 3246 is very light to still have factory seats. Are you RWD.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
What exactly is your weight loss list? 3246 is very light to still have factory seats. Are you RWD.
It's a factory no-sunroof car, ttill AWD with Factory seats (we'll be installing Status CF buckets next week along with a GMG rollbar and Status harness. We'll probably get rid of most of the interior airbags, some sound deading material and the factory seat belts when we do this.

Gone :
-Spare and Tools, rear seat,
-factory wheel and airbag (replaced with a OMP wheel)
-factory changer/nav unit and cd player removed and replaced with
-factory brakes changed to stoptech BBK front and rear
-factory hood replaced with MA Shaw Carbon Hood
-Rear Decklid removed and replaced with MA Shaw CF version with RS Wing
-Tilton Clutch/Flyhweel setup in the car which saves a TON of rotational mass and removes the accumulator.

I'm probably forgetting something but that's a good start.

3,246 was with a full tank of gas, ultimately I'd like to get it lighter and retain AWD, but RWD and the 75lb savings is really sound good now, just not as good for some of the highway rolls we want to do.

Last edited by onelove; 02-26-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Wes, thanks for the info. If you have a chance to weigh some of the parts as you take them out, that would be awesome. I'm interested in knowing what the stock seatbelts weigh and what a fine tuned nit picking of the interior would do. I think there is 50-70 lbs in there that can be taken out without a gutting, and this is not including the rear seats, sub, floor mats or front seats.

More details on that OMP wheel please. How much is it? did you weigh it vs the stock one?

I think you can keep a creature comfort TT with AWD and get down to under 3100 lbs without spending a fortune. The things I would do with a car like that!!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Wes, thanks for the info. If you have a chance to weigh some of the parts as you take them out, that would be awesome. I'm interested in knowing what the stock seatbelts weigh and what a fine tuned nit picking of the interior would do. I think there is 50-70 lbs in there that can be taken out without a gutting, and this is not including the rear seats, sub, floor mats or front seats.

More details on that OMP wheel please. How much is it? did you weigh it vs the stock one?

I think you can keep a creature comfort TT with AWD and get down to under 3100 lbs without spending a fortune. The things I would do with a car like that!!!!
The OMP Wheel setup we got from CDOC, I unfortunately did not weight it but it definitely saved a few lbs. I'm not big fan of having an airbag blow up in my face when I'm strapped in tight with 5 point harnesses, and we added the life-lock release for easy removal of the wheel as well. I think the entire seutp runs about $600 or so, if you don't do the release it's quite a bit less.

We're having a blast with the car, it's going to be used for all sorts of events and pushed to the limits.

Last edited by onelove; 02-26-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of

Keeping it esthetically pleasing without hitting a good lick to the pocket book will be hard to do IMO. I also have a non sunroof car as you remember and I've removed a lot of stuff but the car is still at around 3250 with a half tank.

I think you need to leave at least the front seat belts in to be legal in GA. 5/6 pointers are not DOT approved. Fine to wear them both on the street but I think you're illegal without the OEM setup.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Wes, I went with the Sparco wheel. also going with front and rear lexan. car is being gutted now and the roof cut off!! you are going to have to keep up with me!!

PS I have broken two wastegate actuator rods at the track so far so beware!!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Wes, I went with the Sparco wheel. also going with front and rear lexan. car is being gutted now and the roof cut off!! you are going to have to keep up with me!!

PS I have broken two wastegate actuator rods at the track so far so beware!!
also wondering why I have the a/c unit in still?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Keeping it esthetically pleasing without hitting a good lick to the pocket book will be hard to do IMO. I also have a non sunroof car as you remember and I've removed a lot of stuff but the car is still at around 3250 with a half tank.

I think you need to leave at least the front seat belts in to be legal in GA. 5/6 pointers are not DOT approved. Fine to wear them both on the street but I think you're illegal without the OEM setup.

Al, I think your engine build has something to do with that. My car weighs what your does and my list is very simple and inexpensive. I have a sunroof too, granted I had only one seat in at weigh in. Your biggest expenses will be wheels, rotors, seats, hood and decklid. Pretty much everything else will be DIY or lost costs (battery, straight pipes etc.)

From 3250 I'll tell you how I could get to under 3100:
(mind you this is with one seat in the car)

- Wheels - 18 lbs ( Ex: New OZ wheels $1875 shipped)
- Bumper Supports - 40 lbs DIY
- CF Hood - 24 lbs($900-$1100)
- Rear sound deadening/ rear seatbelts (not including sub) - 26 lbs DIY
- Four Speakers (per your weights) - 18 lbs DIY
- Aluminum Hat Rotors (front only ) - 15 lbs ($1100 initially, but only $300 for replacements)
- Sunroof Panel Removal - ~ 35 lbs ( ??? but not too expensive)
-Rear Wiper Removal 3.5lbs $75 (Bumper Plugs)

Weight 3071.5

Here's what the total cost of buy items would be starting from stock:

Wheels $1875
1 racing seat ($700)
Straight Pipes $275
CF Hood $1000
Rotors $1100
Battery $200
Rear Decklid (minus selling core) $1200 tops (less used)
Sunroof Panel removal $1000 ( tops)

Total: $7,250 (if you can DIY the easy stuff)

- considering most of us already buy wheels, exhaust and body parts anyways, this is only a couple grand more than you would have spent anyways.

- With 25 lbs to spare I could have kept the bumper supports and just drained the washer fluid for about 12 lbs.

This car still has:

-Interior intact (minus one seat)
-Air Conditioning
-More than enouhg gas for one session (except maybe a whole last of day Chin session)
-Radio with some of the crappy speakers still
-The ADDED (35 lbs) of a GMG roll bar
-AWD

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-27-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
From 3250 I'll tell you how I could get to under 3100:
(mind you this is with one seat in the car)

- Wheels - 18 lbs ( Ex: New OZ wheels $1875 shipped)
- Bumper Supports - 40 lbs DIY
- CF Hood - 24 lbs($900-$1100)
- Rear sound deadening/ rear seatbelts (not including sub) - 26 lbs DIY
- Four Speakers (per your weights) - 18 lbs DIY
- Aluminum Hat Rotors (front only ) - 15 lbs ($1100 initially, but only $300 for replacements)
- Sunroof Panel Removal - ~ 35 lbs ( ??? but not too expensive)
-Rear Wiper Removal 3.5lbs $75 (Bumper Plugs)

Weight 3071.5

Here's what the total cost of buy items would be starting from stock:

Wheels $1875
1 racing seat ($700)
Straight Pipes $275
CF Hood $1000
Rotors $1100
Battery $200
Rear Decklid (minus selling core) $1200 tops (less used)
Sunroof Panel removal $1000 ( tops)

Total: $7,250 (if you can DIY the easy stuff)

- considering most of us already buy wheels, exhaust and body parts anyways, this is only a couple grand more than you would have spent anyways.

- With 25 lbs to spare I could have kept the bumper supports and just drained the washer fluid for about 12 lbs.

This car still has:

-Interior intact (minus one seat)
-Air Conditioning
-More than enouhg gas for one session (except maybe a whole last of day Chin session)
-Radio with some of the crappy speakers still
-The ADDED (35 lbs) of a GMG roll bar
-AWD[/quote]

I retract my statement. Less than 8K from stock would give a substantial increase in performance. What rear deadening material are you talking about and where is the break line in the carpet between front an rear, or is there one? Would you be replacing with some plain carpet to hide the bare metal? Has someone told you how to get the rear seat belts out? I think you should leave the front crash buffer in place or you will lose a place for a front tow hook and as you know, I used it to anchor my splitter. I don't think the pair weighs 40 lbs anyway. My rear absorber assembly including heat shield was 19 lbs and I know the front one doesn't weigh 21. FYI my swap from the GT2 deck and wing to the current assembly was just about a wash. They both weighed in the neighborhood of 29 lbs. , if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately for me, there are very few things left to be done for weight removal without getting quite expensive. I think you are correct about extra weight associated with the engine build but I don't think that amounts to very much. Carrillos, cams, turbos, intercoolers and an extra fuel pump minus a secondary air pump couldn't amount to very much. Significant weight additions would be the H&R anti-roll bars which are solid and the external waste gate assembies. I guess it all adds up bc I have always wondered why my sun roof delete car still weighs so much after all I've removed.

You gave me a good idea about washer fluid. I won't do much about it now as the car is already on the trailer waiting for some good wx and healthy wife.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
my car is getting gutted and full through the dash to the strut mount cage going in.

also pulling everything to do with the ac out.

I will post pics and weights.....

in the mean time my CF lined factory doors, steering wheel, etc will be getting parted out if anyone wants to add weight to their car.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton

I retract my statement. Less than 8K from stock would give a substantial increase in performance. What rear deadening material are you talking about and where is the break line in the carpet between front an rear, or is there one? Would you be replacing with some plain carpet to hide the bare metal? Has someone told you how to get the rear seat belts out? I think you should leave the front crash buffer in place or you will lose a place for a front tow hook and as you know, I used it to anchor my splitter. I don't think the pair weighs 40 lbs anyway. My rear absorber assembly including heat shield was 19 lbs and I know the front one doesn't weigh 21. FYI my swap from the GT2 deck and wing to the current assembly was just about a wash. They both weighed in the neighborhood of 29 lbs. , if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately for me, there are very few things left to be done for weight removal without getting quite expensive. I think you are correct about extra weight associated with the engine build but I don't think that amounts to very much. Carrillos, cams, turbos, intercoolers and an extra fuel pump minus a secondary air pump couldn't amount to very much. Significant weight additions would be the H&R anti-roll bars which are solid and the external waste gate assembies. I guess it all adds up bc I have always wondered why my sun roof delete car still weighs so much after all I've removed.

You gave me a good idea about washer fluid. I won't do much about it now as the car is already on the trailer waiting for some good wx and healthy wife.
I'm talking about some of the sound deadening that oak and silvershark posted. I added it to page number 1 at the end of the original post for this thread. They said it was 38lbs including the sub, so I subtracted the weight of the sub from that to get 26 lbs. This is the rear seatbelts, some carpet padding and other miscellaneous stuff. Worth trying for sure.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
my car is getting gutted and full through the dash to the strut mount cage going in.

also pulling everything to do with the ac out.

I will post pics and weights.....

in the mean time my CF lined factory doors, steering wheel, etc will be getting parted out if anyone wants to add weight to their car.
You are pretty much at, "can't go back to stock" mode now aren't ya?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Here is Tom's car stripping for us.

Weight when he started was already only around 3100 - 3200 #'s

I'm willing to bet the car gets down to 2650 or so.

Doh, pics didn't transfer, BRB.

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
ok one fun fact. with all Al listed out and then some before I started to convert my car ( and yes not going back) we just weighed it with half tank of gas and it STILL weighs 3270!!!! this time I saw it on the scales myself.
I was also told the turbo engine weight more than a 996 engine.
Al also left off complete exhaust removal (mine also had) as well as the AWD removal.
the way I see it I have five major things to remove, the entire interior carpet and sound deadening, the entire roof (CF skin replacement only), the entire a/c, the doors (to full CF), and the dash (to CF).

I am currently doing the first three. I am getting CF doors after I see the weight. the dash may or maynot happen.

I will give another real weight when done. and this is about as real as it will get for this car. I will be racing it in NASA, PBOC, and PCA and not looking back.
I dont know or car about my class I am racing for the thrill of racing so it doesnt really matter.
will keep you guys posted. I will weight the roof and sunroof headliner as one big piece and also the entire ac crap and there is alot of lines hoses and brackets coming out.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
WHAT??????

That's crazy. I don't see how you could still be 3270 with RWD, straight pipes, rear seats/sub removal, Getty wing, No bumper supports, GT3 seats and PC680 battery, radio, AC and some other stuff. Were you still in the car at the time?

That should be a good bit over 300 lbs off the car and with a half tank, another 40 lbs. I would guess and say your car should weigh about 3150 + 45 for the roll bar so about 3200.

How beefy is that LSD? I bet the tranny cooler and other gadgets added some weight, but my goodness.

That's nuts! Really.

I retract, you'd be lucky to get to 2800 if that's where you are starting from.

Edit: Oh and I forgot the brakes (mainly rotors), the tires, the wheels, mats , spare and tools.

Man, you should be in the 30XX lb range to start.

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-06-2009 at 04:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List