996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Former Vendor
vph_tony is a jewel in the roughvph_tony is a jewel in the roughvph_tony is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RocC4S
So what battery do you guys recommend @ 20-30lbs. that doesnt need to be charged every night?
Hi RocC4S,

This is not 20-30lbs, but 5.25 pounds. I'm a representative from Voltphreaks (just became a sponsor to this board), and right now not many Porsche owners know of our product. Our VPH700 battery is 5.25 pounds, and you don't need to charge your car every night, it should probably last 2 to 4 weeks without charge! The length of time you can go before the battery drains of course depends on mostly your alarm system (that's one of the biggest draws when the car is off). Lots of motion sensors, etc, will increase the idle current draw from the battery when it's parked, etc.

Product is expensive, though. For lead-acid batteries, ones that I can think of that would fit your needs may be the Odyssey PC925, or the Enersys SBS30.

- Tony (www.voltphreaks.com)

Old 03-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Started taking more weight out of our car today. Skimming the foam off the carpets netted 35-40lbs, we also took the sound deadening panels out using some dry ice but didn't get a weight due to the weight of the ice itself. Also going to remove all airbags this week since we're installing 5 point harnesses. Seats and cage go in next week and we'll re-weigh the car, I'm expecting 3150-3175 AWD if not lighter depending on where out seats come in.

Once we reinstall the carpet it should be tough to tell that we removed the weight, other than the fact the car will be quite a bit louder on the interior, at which point we'll just turn the radio **** a bit more.

We filled an entire garbage bag and then some with the removed foam. The area where your rear feet rest is a tank and likely where the most weight can be removed from.

Last edited by onelove; 03-06-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
great info. subscribed!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Love it onelove!!!!!!!! I knew there was more weight in there somewhere. Can you explain the dry ice technique and where you used it?

After pics would be nice too!!!

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-06-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I bet the getty wing/rear deck is still pretty heavy, plus some of the other stuff Tom has done, like the LSD/Cooler/lines/pump/wiring/solenoid/temp sensor port. Tom will realize some huge weight saving with the doors and the dash. When I did the dash on my track car I was STUNNED at the weight savings. I do NOT think the roof skin will save much over a blank for the moonroof. Removing the windshield/rear glass and replacing with proper lexan won't save much as proper thickness lexan is HEAVY and scratches easier than windshields... Plan on tear-offs for the track!

Tom, Spend the money on the dash and doors. And remove the insulation and carpeting. That's what we did on my track car and it worked wonders! Your cage will really impact the weight, so don't expect that number to drop to much without getting rid of the doors and dash...

Mike

Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I know some of that stuff is really heavy but that stuff shouldnt have added 150 or so lbs to what toms car should be with those mods.

Here's my calculation, and it's worked for me starting from a stock weight of 3495 with gas:
CCWs -15 lbs
Brembos - 20 lbs
Rear Seats - 22 lbs
RWD - 71 lbs
GT3 Seats - 38 lbs (from sport seats)
Sub Removal - 12 lbs
Spare and tools - 39 lbs
Tires - ~15 lbs (guessing for MPSC)
PC680 - 35 lbs
Bumper Supports - 40 lbs
1/2 tank of gas - 35 lbs
straight pipes - 42 lbs

= 3495 - 384 lbs = 3111 lbs

+ 45 lbs techquipment rollbar/harnesses/traqmate

=3156

That LSD and other stuff would have to weigh around 120 lbs weight added back to get there. I guess it's possible because I have no idea what an LSD weighs compared to the stock diff. But I know that coolers don't weight that much, maybe 5-10 lbs. This for me certainly rules out a chance of the Turbo weighing 3395 in stock form even with no gas. These things are HEAVY!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Love it onelove!!!!!!!! I knew there was more weight in there somewhere. Can you explain the dry ice technique and where you used it?

After pics would be nice too!!!
See the big pieces of Dynomat looking material on the wheel wells in this picture? That is what we used the dry ice to remove.

You place the dry ice directly onto the big pieces (there are 5-6 sections of this on the interior) and let it sit for a few.

Come back after 4-5 minutes and start breaking the ice up with a hammer, let it sit on top of the sound deadener for a few more minutes. You will hear the dry ice begin to work it's wonders, and after a few more light taps with a hammer the sound deadening panels will shatter allowing you to easily remove the pieces from the interior. Most won't go this far, but it's weight, it's right in front of us,might as well get rid of it while you got it there. Due to the weight of the ice I couldn't get an exact weight, however I'm willing to bet it's worth a few lbs.

As for the carpet, when you remove it out of the car it looks something like this.

After a few hours with a paint scrapper and a few razorblades on all the interior carpet pieces you end up with pieces that look like this, just 30-35lbs lighter. It may be even more but I have 1 more piece to finish scraping on Monday.

Most of this should equalize the weight being added with our GMG rollbar, however the Status Racing carbon fiber bucket seats should drop a significant amount more. We also took the rear seat belts out while we where back there but didn't get a chance to weigh them on the scales. Might have added a bit of weight with our new USP intercoolers, but removed the rear bumper support to make up for that as well.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Wes are you taking out the ac?? thats alot of stuff under the dash and such I am hoping for some real weight savings there.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:51 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Wes roll bar no cage?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I know some of that stuff is really heavy but that stuff shouldnt have added 150 or so lbs to what toms car should be with those mods.

Here's my calculation, and it's worked for me starting from a stock weight of 3495 with gas:
CCWs -15 lbs
Brembos - 20 lbs
Rear Seats - 22 lbs
RWD - 71 lbs
GT3 Seats - 38 lbs (from sport seats)
Sub Removal - 12 lbs
Spare and tools - 39 lbs
Tires - ~15 lbs (guessing for MPSC)
PC680 - 35 lbs
Bumper Supports - 40 lbs
1/2 tank of gas - 35 lbs
straight pipes - 42 lbs

= 3495 - 384 lbs = 3111 lbs

+ 45 lbs techquipment rollbar/harnesses/traqmate

=3156

That LSD and other stuff would have to weigh around 120 lbs weight added back to get there. I guess it's possible because I have no idea what an LSD weighs compared to the stock diff. But I know that coolers don't weight that much, maybe 5-10 lbs. This for me certainly rules out a chance of the Turbo weighing 3395 in stock form even with no gas. These things are HEAVY!
well that is what I did and I just weighed in at 3270

I think I will struggle to get under 3000??

Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Wes are you taking out the ac?? thats alot of stuff under the dash and such I am hoping for some real weight savings there.
Leaving the AC and dash in for now. Car is still very much a street car and want to keep it that way for a while. I think somewhere down the line we'll take the dash out and go with a Cup style dash and custom interior harness, but that's a good ways out. We'll probably keep the car in it's current form until the engine decides it's had enough and then go with a shell up build-up when it's time to build the engine. Well do a full cage, carbon doors, etc at that time. Right now I just want to get the car out to do more testing as soon as possible without having to wait on a cage to be fabricated.

Last edited by onelove; 03-07-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
well that is what I did and I just weighed in at 3270

I think I will struggle to get under 3000??

I'm not saying you're lying, obviously I'm sure you wanted it to be lighter too. I'm just trying to figure out where the weight came from.

I did forget that the aftermarket intercoolers weigh a bit more too from what I've read.

With a full cage you may be right, 3000 lbs could be all you get. How much does a full cage weigh?

Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Former Vendor
I'm not saying you're lying, obviously I'm sure you wanted it to be lighter too. I'm just trying to figure out where the weight came from.

I did forget that the aftermarket intercoolers weigh a bit more too from what I've read.

With a full cage you may be right, 3000 lbs could be all you get. How much does a full cage weigh?
I don't recall the Big Intercoolers we just installed being that much heavier, maybe 5lbs extra if that.

I'm anxious to see where Toms car ends up, I'm thinking we'll be 3100-3150 in the next week AWD, with Carbon doors and lexan we might be able to get to 3,000lbs but with the full cage that would be required, I'm not sure it would be easy to get much lighter than that without getting crazy (Dymags, custom wiring harness, no AC, etc)

Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I just saw today a gutted 996 which had the sunroof modified, there really isn't much weight up there, which I believe we've been told already, but I will wait to hear what Tom's roof weight comes in at. I also found out that you can replace the whole roof with a cup roof without any cutting, but does require removal of windsheild. If the roof isn't more than 30 lbs it's really not worth it IMO unless you are gutting the car completely.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
When I spoke with the "gutted guy" today he said grid weight was 3050. I am presently at 3450 and I'm done with weight removal. Actually I discovered this weekend that I am going to need to add more in the form of a transaxle cooler.

It's going to be hard to get the 996tt really light IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List