996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Patricks car has the full cage in it and an LSD too. Not to mention they didn't even remove the whole sunroof, they just cut the back part off and left the rest in there. Granted it's not a turbo car, so that's lighter, it's narrow body and an X-51 motor which I don't know if it's a GT1 based block or not. He's about 150 lbs so the car without him is about 2900 lbs.

A TT with just a roll bar can get to right around 3000 lbs while still maintaining the AWD, and with a partial gutting (meaning using chaves carpet, removing radio, speakers , sunroof, AC and switching to floating rotors and a CF hood. A complete gutting should put you in the 2800 lbs range, but things like LSD and oil coolers, boost hoses, all kinds of gauges etc. add weight back real quick.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
A TT with just a roll bar can get to right around 3000 lbs while still maintaining the AWD, and with a partial gutting (meaning using chaves carpet, removing radio, speakers , sunroof, AC and switching to floating rotors and a CF hood. A complete gutting should put you in the 2800 lbs range, but things like LSD and oil coolers, boost hoses, all kinds of gauges etc. add weight back real quick.
We're doing most of the above on a factory no sunroof car, and I'll be honest I think 3,100 is probably going to be the limit for us AWD. RWD and still "streetable" with AC. I think 3,000 is probable, but may require some extremes (like custom wiring harnesses, etc).

Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I'm not saying you're lying, obviously I'm sure you wanted it to be lighter too. I'm just trying to figure out where the weight came from.

I did forget that the aftermarket intercoolers weigh a bit more too from what I've read.

With a full cage you may be right, 3000 lbs could be all you get. How much does a full cage weigh?
not sure but the only reference I will provide is a final weight in a few weeks. remember this is not a "project" for me. it is a purpose race car conversion to race. this car is go not show............

Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Just finished up the carpet shaving, total weight of all sound deadening foam and material under the carpet was approximately 41lbs.

I also just got our Status Racing carbon fiber bucket seats in. Factory seat with hardware where approximately 60lbs each, the Status seats (hardware weight pending ) 21lbs. So it looks like even after mounting brackets and sliders are installed we're looking at approximately 65-70lbs in weight savings with the new seats.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
Just finished up the carpet shaving, total weight of all sound deadening foam and material under the carpet was approximately 41lbs.

I also just got our Status Racing carbon fiber bucket seats in. Factory seat with hardware where approximately 60lbs each, the Status seats (hardware weight pending ) 21lbs. So it looks like even after mounting brackets and sliders are installed we're looking at approximately 65-70lbs in weight savings with the new seats.
WOW. 60lbs each. Thanks for weighing. These things gotta go.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I've got some corbeau FX-1 I'm selling if anyone is interested. About 500 1k miles on them. $490+ shipping. They weigh 21 lbs each, that 40lbs per seat less the fully electronics and even 25-26 lbs per seat less than sport seat. Comes with rails and sliders already attached. Plug and play.

But back on topic, I love the shaved carpet Idea, that's a great way to lose 40 lbs. Thanks again onelove.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
ok then I am going with one seat................

Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Yes, if you go with one seat, that's an extra 25 lbs loss right there. Plus you don't need two for a race. I'd keep an extra for practice days when you may be getting some pro instruction.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Yes, if you go with one seat, that's an extra 25 lbs loss right there. Plus you don't need two for a race. I'd keep an extra for practice days when you may be getting some pro instruction.
that's the plan.....

Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor
Drivers and Passenger Side airbags = 5lbs with bolts on the dot.

Anyone go a way to remove the passenger airbag ?

I was hoping to re-weigh the car before TX to get a better idea but our scales are in our semi chilling in Dallas, hopefully I'll get a chance when I get back.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM

I was hoping to re-weigh the car before TX to get a better idea but our scales are in our semi chilling in Dallas, hopefully I'll get a chance when I get back.
I have EVERYTHING out. the side airbags where heavy but the passenger airbag very heavy like 10 pounds.
also the front and back speakers where pretty heavy
also taking out the metal frames under the seats welded to the floor boards and bolting the seats to the floor.
on the other hand the dash board skin is pretty light.

Last edited by tom kerr; 03-13-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM

5 lbs each?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
I have EVERYTHING out. the side airbags where heavy but the passenger airbag very heavy like 10 pounds.
also the front and back speakers where pretty heavy
also taking out the metal frames under the seats welded to the floor boards and bolting the seats to the floor.
on the other hand the dash board skin is pretty light.

WOW!!!! Holy **** that looks awesome.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor
5 lbs each?
5 total, 2.5 each

I'd like to get the passenger bag out as well but can't figure out a way without remoing the whole dash, anyone got any pointers?

Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Interesting. At 5 lbs total, I'd keep them until I had a full cage, especially on the track.

I've seen an airbag out of a car without the dash being removed, will have to ask how it's done. Possibly removing the glovebox first will allow access to it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List