996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I'm not a big fan of airbags personally, we'll have a rollbar, 5 point harnesses and fixed position seats in the car. With the 5 point harnesses tightly strapped I'm not so sure how effective the airbags will be. A few years back I was hit by a red light runner in a Supra, I walked away with no injuries, except for those caused by the airbag burning me.

I've been researching the passenger airbag and can't find a way to remove it. This 01 doesn't have a glovebox, so I can't find a suiteable way to reach the hinge pin to remove the cover.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
5 total, 2.5 each

I'd like to get the passenger bag out as well but can't figure out a way without remoing the whole dash, anyone got any pointers?
took mine out after removed dash. dont know details but Rick at vortex did it give him a call 813-874-1911

also if the car is to be driven on the street I would keep the steering wheel air bag and a street seat belt.

you realize you shouldnt be strapped in a 6 point harness without a HANS? the belts wont give like a HANS or street seat belt and thats how guys snap their necks!!

I will keep a factory seat belt in for short street drives but wont have an airbag. still better than fully belted in and no HANS.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
We are leaving factory belts for street. Wheel is already done and it's a pain to go back and forth, car isn't daily driven so i'm not worried much.

Tom thanks for reminding me I need to order my hans.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Inaccurate has a spectacular aura aboutInaccurate has a spectacular aura aboutInaccurate has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tom kerr
you realize you shouldnt be strapped in a 6 point harness without a HANS? the belts wont give like a HANS or street seat belt and thats how guys snap their necks!!
According to the FIA Institute for Motor Sport Safety, "the [FIA homologated] harness belts are designed to stretch to absorb the shock."

I have not specifically researched HANS, but I have encountered the topic (HANS) while doing related research (see below). From casual reading, it was mentioned that HANS came-to-be because of race car reaching such high speeds (compared to previously), race car having extremely rigid chassis, and the weight of the helmet itself. Compared to a street car, the street car does not reach as high speeds, has much less rigid chassis (instead, street cars are built with "crush zones"), and the street driver is not burdened with the weight of a helmet.

If anyone is interested, here is my research that I did regarding the use of a racing harness in a street car.

Safety aspects of racing seats and racing harnesses in street cars (click here)

Last edited by Inaccurate; 03-14-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
I'm not a big fan of airbags personally, we'll have a rollbar, 5 point harnesses and fixed position seats in the car. With the 5 point harnesses tightly strapped I'm not so sure how effective the airbags will be. A few years back I was hit by a red light runner in a Supra, I walked away with no injuries, except for those caused by the airbag burning me.

I've been researching the passenger airbag and can't find a way to remove it. This 01 doesn't have a glovebox, so I can't find a suiteable way to reach the hinge pin to remove the cover.

The front's I agree with, but for the sides, the weight is not worth the sacrifice without a full on cage. A side impact is much different from a front one, there is much more protection in front.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
According to the FIA Institute for Motor Sport Safety, "the [FIA homologated] harness belts are designed to stretch to absorb the shock."

I have not specifically researched HANS, but I have encountered the topic (HANS) while doing related research (see below). From casual reading, it was mentioned that HANS came-to-be because of race car reaching such high speeds (compared to previously), race car having extremely rigid chassis, and the weight of the helmet itself. Compared to a street car, the street car does not reach as high speeds, has much less rigid chassis (instead, street cars are built with "crush zones"), and the street driver is not burdened with the weight of a helmet.

If anyone is interested, here is my research that I did regarding the use of a racing harness in a street car.

racing harnesses are not DOT legal anyway.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Inaccurate has a spectacular aura aboutInaccurate has a spectacular aura aboutInaccurate has a spectacular aura about
racing harnesses are not DOT legal anyway.
Perhaps not DOT approved, but they are street legal in Texas. Texas does not say that the belts must be oem (if o.e.), but that some sort of belts are installed (within reason of course).

Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor
Passenger airbag is 7lbs.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Perhaps not DOT approved, but they are street legal in Texas. Texas does not say that the belts must be oem (if o.e.), but that some sort of belts are installed (within reason of course).

in Florida we would get ticketed if the OEM seatbelt were not in use.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Would be nice for a roll bar seat belt mod that you could take in and out. Since the buckle is attached to the seat, I don't see where that would cause a problem, just let it wrap around like a harness. Do the belts have to be retractable or attached to anything in particular by law?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
question...

when you shave the carpet... do you just put it back in and thats it? or do you reinforce it? especially the area under your feet?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by silver_6r
question...

when you shave the carpet... do you just put it back in and thats it? or do you reinforce it? especially the area under your feet?
we just put it back in, if I hadn't posted what we did u would probably never know we shaved it. I haven't got a chance to drive her yet since we put the carpet back in but should tomorrow to get a feel for how much extra cabin noise it creates.

Tom I've never had a problem with harnesses here in the states. Most of the time if a car has a bat and harnesses the cop is either really interested in checking the car out, or looking for other reasons to throw the book at you ( like excessive speed LOL). Were quite lucky inspections are limited here.

-wes

Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Would be nice for a roll bar seat belt mod that you could take in and out. Since the buckle is attached to the seat, I don't see where that would cause a problem, just let it wrap around like a harness. Do the belts have to be retractable or attached to anything in particular by law?

the retractable part is what gives the intitial give like a HANS does so your intestines dont explode and your neck doesnt break.

like why you need a HANS when fully strapped in.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Harnesses don't give, so why seatbelt and not harnesses?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
the retractable part is what gives the initial give.... does so your intestines don’t explode and your neck doesn’t break.
Tom and others,

Tom, I respect that you are a valued forum member. I am just some new guy that don't belong on this forum because I don't even own a Porsche. I will not escalate this into an argument, but I will just mention it once here for my own conscience.

I am sensing some misinformation unintentionally being given. I have done some research regarding oem seatbelts and airbags.

I never saw it mentioned that retractable belts are designed to have initial give. Also, I have never seen it mentioned that a person's intestines are routinely ruptured in severe impacts encountered in passenger automobiles.

My primarily research source is the Society of Automotive Engineers -

Society of Automotive Engineers(click here)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List