996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
interesting tidbit on the front differential

The 911 Turbo uses an all-wheel drive system based on a viscous multi-plate clutch located directly behind the front differential. Weighing only 120 pounds (54 kg), the all-wheel drive system in the 911 Turbo qualifies as one of the lightest such systems in the industry.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...urbo-Coupe.htm

Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by beantowntechy
interesting tidbit on the front differential

The 911 Turbo uses an all-wheel drive system based on a viscous multi-plate clutch located directly behind the front differential. Weighing only 120 pounds (54 kg), the all-wheel drive system in the 911 Turbo qualifies as one of the lightest such systems in the industry.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...urbo-Coupe.htm
The driveshaft, front dif, and 2 front axles weigh 70lbs. Not sure where they get the 120lbs from. They've been weighed here many times.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Since I've been having trouble with the panel coming loose (after performing the rear wiper removal/plug), I decided to take it out of the car and weigh it. I used a digital food scale so the accuracy of the scale is good, but had to balance the part since it was so large and difficult to place on the scale.

Anyway, the interior panel for the rear wiper plus the bulky foam padding that goes behind it weighed in at 2 pounds, 2 ounces on my digital food scale.

Last edited by Steve Theodore; 10-09-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
The driveshaft, front dif, and 2 front axles weigh 70lbs. Not sure where they get the 120lbs from. They've been weighed here many times.

maybe all the odds and ends that go with it, that don't get removed? If you have a car that is not designed for awd, there will be much more different than the pieces you mentioned right?

The difference in weight between the 996 carrera and Carrera 4 is 132lbs. Seems like there is other stuff included with the parts, that we do not take off.

So in the end, the total system may be 120 lbs, but the part that you remove to convert to rwd is only 70 lbs and that would make sense.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 PM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
That was my initial thought, but because i have no idea what i'm talking about, I didn't want to suggest it and offend those who do know what they're doing.

Either way, just thought i would post the excerpt and put it out there. If I ever do take mine off, it will be for the fun of RWD, not about the weight...so that aspect is irrelevant to me given my use of the car.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
maybe all the odds and ends that go with it, that don't get removed? If you have a car that is not designed for awd, there will be much more different than the pieces you mentioned right?

The difference in weight between the 996 carrera and Carrera 4 is 132lbs. Seems like there is other stuff included with the parts, that we do not take off.

So in the end, the total system may be 120 lbs, but the part that you remove to convert to rwd is only 70 lbs and that would make sense.
Very well could be? I would LOVE to know what is still there, if anything? I weighed the Diff, driveshaft, 2 front axles, and a handful of nuts and bolts. EVERYTHING I removed totalled 70lbs. The only thing I put back in, was the stub axles, which need to be there regardless? Maybe the part of the frame that supports the rear of the Diff isn't there on 2wd cars? I can't see there being another 50lbs under there somewhere...?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Anyone weight a GT3 front suspension knuckle/upright/spindle compared to the 996TT unit? Could be a huge size difference in those components. Of course, they're aluminum and would not equal 50#, but just something else to think about...

Comparing the weight of the standard narrow body carrera and the C4S is like comparing two different models of car all together. Remember, there's several inches of additional material in the widebody that easily could make up that addition weight.

Between the C4 and the 996TT, I could see a huge gap due to the weight of the turbos, components, plumbing, intercoolers...Easily the amount discussed above. Those turbos alone are heady...

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 10-11-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
bump

Old 11-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I know we"ve all asked...why is this thread still not a sticky?

Old 11-22-2009, 03:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How a mod could find this not important enough to this forum to actually REMOVE it from sticky status is beyond me. But no one will fess up to it.

I guess TX2K10 is more important, or maybe pays some money for advertising. This place is run by Internet Brands now, not enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My weight is even lower. I got gt3 carbon seats!!!!! Amazingly better road feel. The stock seats were actually hard to move/lift as they are way heavier than one would think....

Here is my new data (updated, heavy please paste it into the top post!!):
xx) jcb-memphis 3223 (- 268 lbs)
-aero front lip, cf front winglets
-Porsche Motorsports 996 RSR carbon rear wing,
-switzer exhaust,
-dynamat sound proofing put in and oem stuff moved out by the prior owner (a stereo junkie....),
-full rear,
- one Britax booster seat,
-JIC cross suspension (and full suspension from Dan at Vivid),
-GT3 Carbon Fiber Seats (custom color) (from Ray of ROTtec),
-H&R front and rear sways, ap control arms, ap front and rear links (Dan),
-stock rear wiper still in place, cg locks, turbo twists with sumitomo htr z III tires in 225/295 (tire rack)
-lightweight battery and aluminum racing bracket (rat racing)

To the IB guys, please make this a sticky. Weight does sell parts too. Orange are parts I bought via this site. FYI.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 11-30-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
As to jcb-memphis' point about weight selling parts, I won't buy any aftermarket parts that are heavier than stock...so it's always something I look for when comparing products. Well said.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Updated

But not stickied

This section might as well be renamed the 60-130---1/4mile---standing mile---who has most hp/biggest turbos section. This is turning into supra forums.

JCB- thanks for putting that in format for me so I could just copy and paste and not have to change your list, that made it much easier. Easier = faster for future reference.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Bump to the top because this thread does have a lot of value and is indicative of what a true enthusiast's forum thread should be.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
bbbump

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List