996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
997tt guy here, but here is my list anyways :

HRE p43's (total unsprung weight saving 13 lbs)
Lightweight exhaust (saves nearly 40 lbs)
GT2 bucket seats (I have been told that saves 58 lbs)
Brembo Brake Kit (total unsprung weight saving 15 lbs)

How can I calculate what is the sprung weight equality of 28 lbs unsprung weight?

Also what more can I add, besides a lightweight battery, without sacrificing it to being a daily driver?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by besiktas
How can I calculate what is the sprung weight equality of 28 lbs unsprung weight?

Also what more can I add, besides a lightweight battery, without sacrificing it to being a daily driver?
Rotational weight is generally felt to have 2-3X more effect on performance than chassis weight.

Other things you could do are:
1. remove tiny back seats.
2. Convert to RWD
3. LWFW - good for more rotational weight loss.
4. Straight pipe exhaust ie remove cats or exhaust. If you remove both car is really too loud to drive on street.
5. remove rear wiper and motor (if 997TT has one).
6. Spare/tools removal.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:49 AM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
Back seats really weigh nothing, so I do not think it's worth removing.
Conversion to RWD, I do not think anybody did this to 997tt yet.
LWFW - my car is a tip
My exhaust is already very light, don't find it useful on the street with straight pipes to have 5-7 lbs more weight savings.
No rear wiper and motor on my car. No spare tools either
Originally Posted by MBailey
Rotational weight is generally felt to have 2-3X more effect on performance than chassis weight.

Other things you could do are:
1. remove tiny back seats.
2. Convert to RWD
3. LWFW - good for more rotational weight loss.
4. Straight pipe exhaust ie remove cats or exhaust. If you remove both car is really too loud to drive on street.
5. remove rear wiper and motor (if 997TT has one).
6. Spare/tools removal.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The lower portion of the back seats weigh next to nothing, but the upper part has metal reinforcement and carries some weight to it.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
It seems I recall my back seats (all 4 pieces including mounting hardware) weighing in at 22lbs. 22lbs is 22lbs, especially if you don't use the back seats!!! But hey, if you wanna keep them in, knock yourself out. About 10 minutes to remove. Bottoms are just velcro'd in and you need an allen wrench for the seat backs.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
It seems I recall my back seats (all 4 pieces including mounting hardware) weighing in at 22lbs. 22lbs is 22lbs, especially if you don't use the back seats!!! But hey, if you wanna keep them in, knock yourself out. About 10 minutes to remove. Bottoms are just velcro'd in and you need an allen wrench for the seat backs.
+1 and with the engine in the rear all weight removal in the rear makes life better!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
How much does the Misha GT2 +CF blade weigh vs. the 36lb. stock 996 decklid?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If I recall correctly, mine was about 24-26 lbs.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
If I recall correctly, mine was about 24-26 lbs.
Did you like the quality of the Misha GT2 wing + CF blade? or would you recommend it just in FRP?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Kevganzon
Did you like the quality of the Misha GT2 wing + CF blade? or would you recommend it just in FRP?

I actually had the FRP one, and the blade was feather light. I don't think CF could even be much lighter than that was. I don't know that it's worth the extra money unless you just like the look of CF.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 AM
polar3 is infamous around these partspolar3 is infamous around these parts
this thread has been very helpfull, thanks guys

Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
GMG roll bar for 996 is advertised at 36.5 lbs. Not true. I just bought one and it weighs 48#.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
GMG roll bar for 996 is advertised at 36.5 lbs. Not true. I just bought one and it weighs 48#.
Yeah, I meant to change that. I realized that earlier this year. The GMG bar is a stout sucker.

Edit: Where is it listed at 36 lbs? I weighed mine at 45 lbs and I put it under the safety equipment towards the bottom of the list.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
That's too bad Al...

The AP bolt in roll bar weighs 47#. I was also hoping it would weigh less...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yeah, I meant to change that. I realized that earlier this year. The GMG bar is a stout sucker.

Edit: Where is it listed at 36 lbs? I weighed mine at 45 lbs and I put it under the safety equipment towards the bottom of the list.
Under GMG GT Harness/Roll Bar

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_interior.shtml

PS: I got my 48# weight from postal scales, not the subtraction method. 45-48 is still pretty heavy compared to Tequipment, etc..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List