996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Edithorres85 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Dmk

Originally Posted by DMK
Wing motor and other parts conversion to stationary wing I believe was 30 - 35lbs

these are the best motor parts conversion..its amazing

Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Northshore04 is infamous around these parts
I just joined yesterday and one of the reasons was the information in this and other threads. Great stuff. I have an 02 996 turbo and have just started to track it. The weight of the car is the only negative I can think of. . .so I'm now off to remove the rear seats/belts. Then we'll see what's next.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 AM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Tom, what are you using in your windows since your trailer is open, I think you posted about it, but I can't find it. I'm looking at some gutted doors (or gutting my own) here in the near future, but my trailer is open too and I still have carpet in the car so open windows is a no go.
I made some INCREDIBLY simple hangers that hold the original glass perfectly in place. Also use just a little pipe insulation material to keep glass cushioned. All in all, took about 20 minutes to make hangers. Now windows in or out in under a minute and are totally secure and weather proof. I'll take some pics if you want

Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 AM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tom kerr
down to 2850lbs with doors recently gutted, Cup car mirrors and headlights removed. pic below was right before mirrors and headlights done. Was down to 2:18 for Sebring lap. Big Cup car race there in several weeks so looking for another second!
Car is actually down closer to 2750 with recent weight loss and removal of some other things you dont really need...

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by viperbob
I made some INCREDIBLY simple hangers that hold the original glass perfectly in place. Also use just a little pipe insulation material to keep glass cushioned. All in all, took about 20 minutes to make hangers. Now windows in or out in under a minute and are totally secure and weather proof. I'll take some pics if you want

If it's that simple then yes, absolutely please send me pictures. If it's not a bother I'd pay to have you make me some and send them to me.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Better yet... Here is a Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME0mKA6B-RU

Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Thanks Bob, that was perfect. Don't know where I'll find hangers like that, or how low they need to go to make the glass fit.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I have plenty of the things.... Send me your address in a PM and I will send you some bent up... Take me 5 minutes....

Also took off Power Steering Pump and will be installing electric Motorsports unit. With Fluid will save about 17 lbs off very back of car...

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
bob thanks for taking your time to share your expertise. I'm sure this forum appreciates it.

The last above weight savings came from taking off the power steering pump. it was 17 pounds on the rear of the engine.

got the cup car one (5pounds) and put it in the front of the car

so weight off rear and small amount added to front for better balance.

we also have all the front and rear fans and shrouds out for better cooling on the track (dont do it to your street cars!)

car is very light!

we are adding dive planes to the front bumper for additional downforce which with the wing I have and how light the car is is really needed. will post pics later (maybe bob will)

We are racing at Road Atlanta this month from on 24-27.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Will be good to see you run at Road Atlanta Tom. Looking forward to it. I thought about signing up for the DE, but it would be too much traffic to have any fun IMO. I'll just troll the pits and watch from the sidelines.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Taken a bunch more stuff off Tom's car. Will weigh when done. Most likely will now be in the 2700-2750 range WITH a 1/4 tank of fuel. Add in a svelt 150 lb soaking wet Tom and you have one light 996TT packing 700 HP at the track. (and a pain as he has the smallest damn little German boy type seat that my 235 frame has to shoe horn in to test at the track)

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Will be good to see you run at Road Atlanta Tom. Looking forward to it. I thought about signing up for the DE, but it would be too much traffic to have any fun IMO. I'll just troll the pits and watch from the sidelines.
well if you are there I need some tips!!

there is a DE on thursday before the PCA event also how bout driving then??

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah Tom, whatever you need man, just let me know. I'll have you moving around this track fast in no time. I have lots of trackmate data with corresponding video sync'd up to it as well.

DE on Thursday? With whom?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by viperbob
Taken a bunch more stuff off Tom's car. Will weigh when done. Most likely will now be in the 2700-2750 range WITH a 1/4 tank of fuel. Add in a svelt 150 lb soaking wet Tom and you have one light 996TT packing 700 HP at the track. (and a pain as he has the smallest damn little German boy type seat that my 235 frame has to shoe horn in to test at the track)

I sure wouldn't mind being that light. But I just can't see taking out my AC just yet, and I keep making excuses about the sunroof because it's such a production to get the thing out. But I've got it down to 3150 and I have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Wish you were based in Atlanta Bob.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Yeah Tom, whatever you need man, just let me know. I'll have you moving around this track fast in no time. I have lots of trackmate data with corresponding video sync'd up to it as well.

DE on Thursday? With whom?
It is being organized by the track the day before the PCA event. See if you want to drive that day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List