996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
It is being organized by the track the day before the PCA event. See if you want to drive that day!

Will do.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
So here is a weight loss... No AC and no power steering pump (17 lbs off rear from power steering and electric pump weighs nine up front in trunk). Lightweight pulley (saved another lb) and belt setup from 997 GT3 Cup...

Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2011, 05:38 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by viperbob
So here is a weight loss... No AC and no power steering pump (17 lbs off rear from power steering and electric pump weighs nine up front in trunk). Lightweight pulley (saved another lb) and belt setup from 997 GT3 Cup...
ViperBob, (bob brooks) is my mechanic, car guru, and pit crew chief for the racing. He is a car and Porsche wizard!! He personally engineered 1000 pounds off of my car while having it run race after race at a solid 700hp!

He is a great professional reference for this thread if anyone needs to know how to get rid of that last 10 pounds!

if we are lucky he will tell you the secret of the best and lightest motor mounts!

we all thank you!!

Last edited by tom kerr; 03-22-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Please tell me the secret.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
So many things... So little time. If and when I ever get done with Tom's latest round of weight savings (about another 35 lbs off the rear / motor) will let you know with pics. Have to finish Tom's car first... Still have ALOT to do including now customizing so it fits a "bolt in" y-pipe, aligning belt rollers, plumb for external BOV, install new calipers/rotors/master cylinder, remove SAI system, install remote fuel filter and heat wrap, reinstall the top of the motor, remove front radiator fans, and the ever popular Motorsports electric power steering. Then adding weight with front carbon dive planes and wheel well spoilers.. Long few days... Oh yeah then the programming thing.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
So many things... So little time. If and when I ever get done with Tom's latest round of weight savings (about another 35 lbs off the rear / motor) will let you know with pics. Have to finish Tom's car first... Still have ALOT to do including now customizing so it fits a "bolt in" y-pipe, aligning belt rollers, plumb for external BOV, install new calipers/rotors/master cylinder, remove SAI system, install remote fuel filter and heat wrap, reinstall the top of the motor, remove front radiator fans, and the ever popular Motorsports electric power steering. Then adding weight with front carbon dive planes and wheel well spoilers.. Long few days... Oh yeah then the programming thing.

Geeze that sounds expensive!!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
So an electric Motorsport Power Steering Pump in a 996TT.... Took 17 lbs off the rear and put 8 up front. Didnt weigh all the extra lines. Probably no more than a couple pounds there. Lot more room in the engine compartment. Especially without the SAI pump....

Attached Images  

Last edited by viperbob; 03-21-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
So an electric Motorsport Power Steering Pump in a 996TT.... Took 17 lbs off the rear and put 8 up front. Didnt weigh all the extra lines. Probably no more than a couple pounds there. Lot more room in the engine compartment. Especially without the SAI pump....
AMAZING!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
just took out the back seats and did the rear wiper delete. I got the seat belt buckles out with no problem but now I'm just wondering what panels I need to remove to get the rest of the seat belt mechanisms out? TIA for any input!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Camo_cab is infamous around these parts
I am not A current Porsche owner but have been and have also used some of the Porsche turbo drivetrain in my class 1600 desert race car.

I read all 47 pages of thisnthread and enjoyed the tech and your guys passion.

I am surprised I didn't see anybody mention the use of gun drilled axles, machined cv joints ( scalloped and finned for better cooling and weight reduction ) or titanium hardware. bolts indivudaly are fairly light but they sure add up.of course they are expensive but when used on unsprung locations like to hold the cvs on it can make a difference.

It has been a while since I played with these parts but an estimate of weight savings
Finned cv joint machining = 1 pound each savings
Gun drilled axles, also made from 300m so uber strong = 3 pounds each saving
Bolts, 1/2 of carbon steel

Just throwing it out for discussion, if anybody really cares I can make a few calls to the guys who make them and confirm. or for all I know, current turbo piracies come with these from the factory. Lol

Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
cp supreme is infamous around these parts
This might be a stupid question but I was just reading this thread for the first time and curious why everyone doesn't use the 'Odyssey PC680 14.99 lbs' for the substantial weight savings. I'm going to guess it has something to do with it being so small and cold climates but could someone elaborate? This seems like the first no brainer thing to do and I don't know why I'm wrong...Thanks.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM
harkerdude is infamous around these partsharkerdude is infamous around these parts
First of all, thank you for your input in this thread. This would have been a nice mod when my PS pump went bad. I could have done this and gone straight to gt2 slave conversion. How much is the electric PS pump?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cp supreme
This might be a stupid question but I was just reading this thread for the first time and curious why everyone doesn't use the 'Odyssey PC680 14.99 lbs' for the substantial weight savings. I'm going to guess it has something to do with it being so small and cold climates but could someone elaborate? This seems like the first no brainer thing to do and I don't know why I'm wrong...Thanks.
Many of us run smaller batteries, even smaller than the PC680, in a daily driver it has it's tradeoffs, but for a track car that can remain on trickle charger it's a nice weight savings.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by cp supreme

People do in fact use the PC680. Maybe just not posted in this thread. Some have had good results with it, and some have not. But there are plenty of ~15 lb batteries that are being used by people with TT's.

I had a PC680, but it came up missing somehow and then I had a Braille which sucked badly. Now I have an Xtreme from Batteries Plus with a two year warranty and it gets the job done well. All are ~15 lbs.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
cp supreme is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
People do in fact use the PC680. Maybe just not posted in this thread. Some have had good results with it, and some have not. But there are plenty of ~15 lb batteries that are being used by people with TT's.

I had a PC680, but it came up missing somehow and then I had a Braille which sucked badly. Now I have an Xtreme from Batteries Plus with a two year warranty and it gets the job done well. All are ~15 lbs.
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm more concerned with the 'and some have not' part. Could you explain? I'm going to be daily driving it. (and i drive alot of miles) Do you think that's an issue? Would you recommend one over the over for daily use? (Odyssey vs. Xtreme)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List