996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
GIAC flash

hey guys...i am kind of on the fence on getting the car flashed...i purchased the car a couple weeks ago with the 2nd generation tubi exhaust...it boosts 0.7 bar and feels very fast....

should i wait to get the car chipped and just enjoy it as is for the time being? it feels fast enough as is now.....

is getting chipped on this car kind of like stepping into a gt2 in terms of the power?

someone please convince me to not chip. LOL

Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I was in the same boat about 2 months ago. I went with the GIAC flash and the car was an insane difference. A total different car. It was so fast before, and with the flash it is way, way faster. It is an absolute must do!!!!

So, if you want to be talked out of it.....guess I didnt do a good job.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
What he said ^^^

Old 01-30-2007, 03:27 PM
sand bandit is infamous around these parts
Did you do any mods other than the GIAC flash?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sand bandit
Did you do any mods other than the GIAC flash?
i have not done any power mods yet. i bought the car with the TUBI exhaust allready installed.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Drew -- I won't try to talk you out of the ECU flash, since it's the best hp increase for the money spent. But how about this as a delay tactic? As long as "it feels fast enough as is now....." then enjoy it while that feeling lasts. When you start to feel the need for more power, THEN get the ECU flash. Just don't drive anyone else's modded 996tt until then ...

Old 01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha
Drew -- I won't try to talk you out of the ECU flash, since it's the best hp increase for the money spent. But how about this as a delay tactic? As long as "it feels fast enough as is now....." then enjoy it while that feeling lasts. When you start to feel the need for more power, THEN get the ECU flash. Just don't drive anyone else's modded 996tt until then ...
thats how i feel but then that voice inside me head goes: chip it, chip it!!!

when i was at the Speed Gallery here in LA, the guys asked me if i wanted a ride in a 600 and change HP TT and i politelly declined knowing it would make my car feel like a NEON.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I would definately talk you out of it. You just got a 420hp car. Now unless you already are driving around a Viper or Z06 corvette I wouldnt do it.
the car is amazing from the factory especially if it is your first porsche or first car over 400 hp.
The only thing I was immediately disappointed with was the way the car sounded. And you already have that covered
Yes the great thing about this car is its modability. And you can improve many areas of this car. Certainly everyone goes for more hp, but in this car it obviously already has the hp.
Get a short shift kit if you want to do something.
Enjoy the car for now, since you are already asking about mods I am sure in time they will come. But at least establish a baseline to compare to before the modding begins.
Just my 2 cents. By the way I had my car close to 2 years before I had it flashed.
Welcome and good luck.......tom

Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
well said tom. i appreciate the voice of reason. i am coming from a rwd 333hp m3 with low torque.

the is my first porsche and first car with over 400HP. it is a huge difference in power especially the way the torque slams you in the seat...LOVE IT.

thanks again for the advice.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
doccao is infamous around these parts
Drew- this is the wrong forum if you intend on keeping your car in stock form. Some must have mods include the GIAC flash for a reason (it's truly night & day-boost up to 1.1 all day long). If you intend on keeping the TT for another 2+ years, then why not exploit its potentials and enjoy it from the start.

Last edited by doccao; 01-30-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
I'm also doing things one step at a time. Bought the car in Aug '05. Started off with a modified X-50 exhaust in March '06. Now I bought a Fabspeed loud that I'll put on maybe next month. Then in the late Spring/Summer go with a flash. Then at the end of the year do something about an air intake.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
kfitz911 has a spectacular aura aboutkfitz911 has a spectacular aura about
My plan is the same that Tom spoke of - enjoy it for a while then make measured improvements that will be noticable such as the short-shift, suspension, then GIAC re-flash, exhaust, diverters. These cars are very, very fast as is, so it is wise to get used to the whole package for as long as you are satisfied with it. Baby steps, as they say?

Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 PM
sand bandit is infamous around these parts
Are diverter valves needed with an ECU flash?

Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I think that everyone has good points. I wish that I never found this forum and that I had patience!!!! I have only done a few things in the 3 months since I bought the car.......but I am constantly looking for the next thing. I just like to make sure that I have every bit of info and knowledge about the next particular mod, before doing it. Learn, learn , learn.....and this board is a great resourse for that. Its just like crack for the porsche mod addict!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
One question I haven't seen answered is: how easy is it for a dealer to tell if it's been flashed?

Even the ones that have a "stock" mode/map, I would assume that the OBD would show overboosting if the car ever needed to go back in for something?

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were assured that it couldn't be detected...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC flash