996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fabspeed bypass pipes? Any try them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:59 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Bypass pipes

I loved em on my GT3. They are definitely loud but could be tempered by throttle modulation under 5k. It contributed greatly to the driving experience when cooking at hi-rpm 7k+. The weight reduction off the rear was also significant and worthwhile. All told, if I had another 996 GT3, I'd do it again. I hear they are louder on 996 Turbo's.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:22 PM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
LOL then think about a migrain headache, then mulitply that x5 then x10 with the straightpipes and that's what you get

I had the FVD (cat and muffler bypass) bolted off the turbo, i didnt want to drive the car at all witht hem on, obnoxious was an understatement!
These ones still have cats... which should make it a little quieter right?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:28 PM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom kerr
I have straight pipes from the turbos to the stock tips no cats. The car sounds AWESOME!!!! I cant go back now! At warm idle the car rumbles the way a 500+ hp car should sound and is not obnoxious. driving out of the neighbor is ok if you short shift.
At WOT car is badass period!!
Inside cabin is loud but you can talk and listen to the radio of course at increased volume. Drone at 2-3k is drone at 2-3k.
I am one of the few on here who love the car like this so I thought I would put in my 2 cents, your results may vary!!
PS, my rear cats and muffler is off of my cayS also!!!! Go figure!!!!
Hows the local law enforcement feel about it?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:00 PM
habitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nice
Originally Posted by NelsonF
I loved em on my GT3. They are definitely loud but could be tempered by throttle modulation under 5k. It contributed greatly to the driving experience when cooking at hi-rpm 7k+. The weight reduction off the rear was also significant and worthwhile. All told, if I had another 996 GT3, I'd do it again. I hear they are louder on 996 Turbo's.

Did you drive it on the streets everyday?

I'm gonna put them on my car for everyday driving.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:06 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SlowMotion
These ones still have cats... which should make it a little quieter right?
Yes a bit, i think the fabspeed muffler bypass matched up with a highflow cat (not one straight same diameter piping) is much quieter, but i could be wrong!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:10 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by habitat
Did you drive it on the streets everyday?

I'm gonna put them on my car for everyday driving.
Kerry PM me your address...

I'll send you some matching white EAR PLUGS

Old 02-03-2007, 01:24 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Bypass

Yes, I drove with them every day. Not for the faint hearted, but fantastic from a race-driving feel perspective. It really made each drive a fun experience probably enhanced by my shortened gear ratio and lwfw.

Last edited by NelsonF; 02-04-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
jrok is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Yes a bit, i think the fabspeed muffler bypass matched up with a highflow cat (not one straight same diameter piping) is much quieter, but i could be wrong!
IIRC the one's of my friends car are 100 cell cats, purchased from there and just like the ones in the pictures at Fabspeed. The loudness I was referring to was with those cats installed.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jrok
IIRC the one's of my friends car are 100 cell cats, purchased from there and just like the ones in the pictures at Fabspeed. The loudness I was referring to was with those cats installed.
Oh wow And just to think mine were even louder

Old 02-03-2007, 08:06 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SlowMotion
Hows the local law enforcement feel about it?
at idle the car sounds civil. I keep my car running at the gas station (for turbos to cool) and very often state troopers are next to me filling there cars up.. Everytime one of them said something to me it was a positive comment on the car.
My point is the sound is controllable by throttle and really is the best part of the car for me!!! I have had the car like this since I got it!

And as Buddy says, "if its too loud, you are too old!"

this clip of my car at Sebring gives you an idea of how it sounds....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2CI1bK2-4

Last edited by tom kerr; 02-03-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:25 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Dont do it! I was excited, put them on went around the block & took those suckers off, sold them for half price! there out of control! I wanted to hide underneath my seat! but f**k it do it anyway, I didn't listen either ...tom

Last edited by topgun; 02-03-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by topgun
Dont do it! I was excited, put them on went around the block & took those suckers off, sold them for half price! there out of control! I wanted to hide underneath my seat! but f**k it to it anyway, I didn't listen either ...tom
3 people in the first week asked me if something was wrong with my car when i had them on, haha

Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
!! Am I crazy... YES!! and I am looking for a set of FVD straight pipes

Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by exoticalex
!! Am I crazy... YES!! and I am looking for a set of FVD straight pipes
Promise yourself you will put 1000 miles on the car with them on. And then decide. I loved them immediately and you will too.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:23 AM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
Oh there is no question, they will be staying on! Loud is what I am looking for! Oh, and I want to shoot flames!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed bypass pipes? Any try them?