996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Too much boost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 PM
laj_c4s is infamous around these parts
Too much boost

twice in the past month at WOT, uphill in 3 rd BAR reading was 1.3 and 1.5 (peak) .
car is running fine, no CEL
car is 2002 X50, only mods are DV's and Miltek exhaust. 24k miles.

not sure what is going on. people talk about new wastegates but besides dialing down what is the cause of this. i do not want to keep running the car
at these levels or else my hoses will blow and leave me stranded somewhere.

any ideas?

Roy

Old 02-06-2007, 02:02 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by laj_c4s
twice in the past month at WOT, uphill in 3 rd BAR reading was 1.3 and 1.5 (peak) .
i do not want to keep running the car
at these levels or else my hoses will blow
I think you could do a lot worse than just blow a hose....
Remember when smoke starts coming out it is very hard to get it back in again!!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
chinitowest has a spectacular aura aboutchinitowest has a spectacular aura about
The car is stock besides exhaust and DV's?

Old 02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chinitowest
The car is stock besides exhaust and DV's?
Exactly, you need more fuel to run higher boost.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:17 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Prior to this, what was your max boost? Any recent changes to the car?

It's not unusual for very cold weather to bump up your max boost .1-.2 bar, but that's a lot of boost for stock K24s. It sounds like your wastegate(s) is/are not fully opening. Could be stuck at the actuator, inside the WG, or the WG hoses are pinched.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Prior to this, what was your max boost? Any recent changes to the car?

It's not unusual for very cold weather to bump up your max boost .1-.2 bar, but that's a lot of boost for stock K24s. It sounds like your wastegate(s) is/are not fully opening. Could be stuck at the actuator, inside the WG, or the WG hoses are pinched.

car is stock except for DV and exhaust
gas is 93 octane.
weather has been colder but i did not think it would change the boost that much. prior to these high levels i would peak at 1.0-1.1 which from what i understand is normal for the X50. i
thought i was seeing things when it read 1.5 but then it did it again.
if the wastegates did not open wouldn't that restrict the boost?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Wastegates closed = lots of boost

Old 02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Wastegates closed = lots of boost
thx for clearing it up for me. it sounds like a prime oppurtunity to ugrade the wastegates when i have my guy look at it. on the EVO site it states OEM wastegates are designed for 0.7 bar. is this the same unit that is in the X50 or GT2, or does the X50 have a different type of OEM wastegate.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:42 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
No expert here, but I thought stock X50 would get about .9-1.0 bar. DVs do not change this. You might get some gains with exhaust, but that will be limited as the overall flow is not optimized. Regardless, the numbers you are seeing are way too high (I'm surprised you haven't had a TB shut-down). Some of the theories proposed may be good guesses....WGs stuckor not opening properly...are you sure the ECU has not been flashed?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
May be a leak in the wastegate control hose.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
What he said ^^^^

Your car is and was boostiong way too high. I bet you lost or popped (maybe cracked) the boost hose that gives the wastegate actuator it's boost reference. As such the wastegate actuator never sees the correct boost (reads low) and never opens the wategate. The turbos keep spooling and spooling..... not good. Especially if it's only one of the turbos...

Check the hoses carefully, it's very possible to have a small crack that is not easily seen but opens up under boost.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:40 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
the stock gauge is not accurate - however, that means you could be boosting even higher than 1.5.

don't get into boost until you fix this. you don't want an engine rebuild.

- chuck

Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by ari
What he said ^^^^

Your car is and was boostiong way too high. I bet you lost or popped (maybe cracked) the boost hose that gives the wastegate actuator it's boost reference. As such the wastegate actuator never sees the correct boost (reads low) and never opens the wategate. The turbos keep spooling and spooling..... not good. Especially if it's only one of the turbos...

Check the hoses carefully, it's very possible to have a small crack that is not easily seen but opens up under boost.

thx guys
i will get this fixed asap. i will likely go with the EVO upgrade wastegates.

roy

Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Without a flash upgraded wastegates are no help. Just fix what you got. You should be boosting .8-.9 99% of the time.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by laj_c4s
thx guys
i will get this fixed asap. i will likely go with the EVO upgrade wastegates.

roy
The last thing you need is tighter wastegates! They are designed to hold MORE boost. Take it to the dealer ASAP!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too much boost