996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Octanium

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:36 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I will slowly introduce the octanium (pick some up tomorrow if I have time). The guy on the Vette forum sears by it, so it seems that evidence is building that it is a good product.
Well, if another guy on a random forum who you know little if anything about swears by it...mind you with a set-up that couldn't be any more different than your motor....then it must be good. Sean, are you for real?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Am I missing something here about P cars? Do they have a fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors, and spark plugs. A gasoline engine works the same, and we don't have Diesels (atleast I hope not! I've been putting 93 in! ). I'm sure some tune changes (timing / fuel / possibly boost) would need to be made because it has a lower octane level then 104 or VP109. Though for people that just want to be safe it works perfect.

From the sound of everyone I've come to the conclusion a "boxer" style motor works like no other gasoline motor in the world! Hope to see everyone's findings.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
they work the same - fortunately, our minds don't.

the claims for this product are dubious at best. i've already rebuilt my engine; i'd rather not do it again.

i won't use this product until it's verified by an independent laboratory or someone who can measure timing & knock in real-time.

powell, you've pimped this product enough in this thread. if you can bring new information, you should post; otherwise, let us try to figure out if this thing will work or not.

- chuck

Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Fair enough.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Well, I went to Autobahn and bought 10 gallans of VP 109...put 5 in, brought 5 home. Car runs great! Saw some nice 1000 hp Poopras....

Of course everyone else was more interested in my Gt2....seems people want a car that can turn the corner once they get tired of going fast in a straight line.

Will keep in eye on the Octanium

Old 02-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Well, I went to Autobahn and bought 10 gallans of VP 109...put 5 in, brought 5 home. Car runs great! Saw some nice 1000 hp Poopras....

Of course everyone else was more interested in my Gt2....seems people want a car that can turn the corner once they get tired of going fast in a straight line.

Will keep in eye on the Octanium
Tommy builds some sick cars. I have seen many of them dyno at a friends shop right down the road from the house.

I think he lives in Pearland still and it was not a pretty sight the day I ran into him on the road. Lets just say him (old old setup, still a single and I think 800rwhp) on race gas vs a 500rwhp Cobra was not a pretty sight for me The race was he hit it let out, let me get to his bumper, hit it again and put like 10 cars on me within seconds

Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
There are very, very few cars that would want to tangle w/ his Supra on the highway.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
I heard Torco brand race fuel concetrate/accelerator works very well which is simlar to this product. check it out. thanks

-SM

Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Personally, I would not use any of that crap.

If you run boost, buy drums of race gas. Period.

MK

Old 05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Okay, to drag this subject up, I finally had some time to run some of this stuff through a gas chromatograph and unlock some of its "secrets".

First, the (not so) obvious: Octanium is a methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) based octane booster. In a nutshell, it uses manganese to increase the octane of fuel, basically the same way tetraethyl lead is used in some race gas.

So, unlike aromatic hydrocarbons like toluene and xylene, MMT can actually significantly raise fuel octane in small concentrations.

4oz of Octanium were found to contain 762 ppm of manganese, 13 ppm of magnesium, 2 ppm aluminum, 8 ppm iron, 3 ppm tin and 2 ppm silicon. My guess is much of the aluminum content comes from the aluminum can the stuff ships in.

So, based on the analysis of 4 oz of Octanium, each 32 oz can should contain about 0.72 grams of MMT. That means tossing a 32 oz can into an average 15 gallons of 93 octane pump gas should yield ~0.05 grams per gallon, which should increase the RON octane to roughly 98-99 octane. Slightly shy of the 100 octane they advertise, but, they never stated what volume of gas they mixed with to arrive at "100 octane", so I'll give them that one. However, if you're tossing it into 91 octane "limp-wristed fairy liquid" (aka Cali gas), you'll probably realize more like 96-97 octane.

On the face of things, from a chemical standpoint, it would appear that Octanium can increase the octane rating of fuel to a significant amount.

A few other points of interest, though: MMT, since it's 1995 un-banning by the EPA/Ecotards, is limited to 1/32 (0.031) grams per gallon of fuel. A can of Octanium will raise your MMT content well above this, which is likely why they mark the can as for "off-road use only". Further, while MMT is legal Federally, it's illegal in the People's Soviet of California, so you'd likely be put on trial for making a spotted owl cry or something if you use it there. (Assuming you get caught, which isn't especially likely)

Another caveat is that MMT is, ultimately, metal. So as with leaded fuel, prolonged usage will probably clog up cats (if so equipped), and may have an equally negative effect on 02 sensors. Still, given the bang for the buck, it's probably worth experimentation so long as you pull your 02 sensors every few months and make sure there's no build up or resistance changes or anything else generally unhappy going on.

One amusing trait, however, is that MMT will significantly reduce emissions of NOx, N2O and C02. I'm going to toss in two cans and try to pass emissions testing without a cat when I'm next due, for giggles.

Based on what I've seen in the chemical analysis, I'm feeling it's safe to use in most cars with no significant ill effects, and given that it's several times cheaper than tossing in a bunch of race gas, an attractive option assuming there are no long term negative issues.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Nice write up on it all! My buddy works at a company that does commodity insepction and analysis. He's over here explaining the differences between the products.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:01 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
wow Simba, thanks a lot. best post of the year.

this is great news - the new gt700 hitachi programming covers 93, not 91. i'll buy a case of this and use it on 93 programming for those times i'm forced to use 91.

excellent!

- chuck

Old 05-18-2007, 06:31 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242
wow Simba, thanks a lot. best post of the year.
Ditto. Outstanding post!

Nice to have friends that can toss mystery fluids into a chromatograph!

A

PS 100 race gas in Sacto on Watt by Marconi (I think) and in Redwood City/Woodsite at the 76 station on Woodside...still only $5.39 at the latter!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:44 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
hahaha... so this stuff will potentially increase your octane to 100 (or close to it) while reducing emissions. Thats hard to swallow but you seem to know your stuff pretty well. That's just awesome.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Simba,

February just called and wants this thread back....lol

But seriously, great analysis. However, I am concerned about the impact on my O2 sensors.

Chris, your still on for our trip to "Mexico" Sat night, yes?

We are counting on your camera skills. I need you to document Paulies CHEATING!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.