996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What's the most cost effective way to get 600hp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:40 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I got 630hp to flywheel from Kevin's programming, wastegate and EP2 exhaust alone. Don't evaluate tuning package by just peak hp but instead the whole entire power band and boost setting. You want tuning program with early and wide torque band at lowest boost setting.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vincentdds
I got 630hp to flywheel from Kevin's programming, wastegate and EP2 exhaust alone. Don't evaluate tuning package by just peak hp but instead the whole entire power band and boost setting. You want tuning program with early and wide torque band at lowest boost setting.
Vincent -- That's exactly what I'm looking for. A broad torque curve that begins low, with as little lag as possible. I'm assuming that you have X50 or Turbo S (K24's) to be able to get that much power at the flywheel from ECU, wastegates and exhaust. Is that correct?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:56 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Wait a second. Did I read that right? Programming, upgraded wastegates, and exhaust = 210hp gain? Are you serious, or were you starting with a GT2? Still, that's damn good work!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
www.ultimatemotorwerks.com stage 2 is good for 600fwhp with no lag in ZC form.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...o/Dyno%20Runs/

I have a similar graph. RWD X50 with Exhaust, Vflow, GIAC, Wastegates (IMO REQUIRED on K24 cars) and Diverter Valves running 91 octane on the 91 octane flash. The car was dynoed on an 80 degree day.

It's my version of the EVO stage 3.5 (stage 4 minus headers) using a Remus Exhaust.

That's 629HP at 18% loss or 590 at 12.5%. I think the 12% range is probably accurate given the rear engine layout and lack of a long drivetrain.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 02-11-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
16/24's, GIAC, vflow,exhaust and intake plenum.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alpha
Jags911tt -- Thanks for noticing. I am thinking of 600hp at the flywheel, not 700hp. I appreciate all the input from everyone. My intention is not to scrimp and save all the pennies that I can while trying to add more hp. I just figure that many on this board have been through a couple of different tuner packages on their way to the power they currently have, and would likely have thoughts on how to get to 600hp without spending a lot on intermediate steps.

I have my eye on the Ultimate Motor Werks Stage 2 turbos. Kevin tells me it is a hybrid K16/24 with a larger compressor. I would like as little lag as possible, but I'm not sure I need the "zero clearance" option. Any thoughts?
Alpha, I had that same kit and posted an 11.5 at 128.2 and a 7.93 60-130 with a near 3800# 01 TT.627FWHP/695FWTQ on a Mustang dyno. I did have the ZC option tough.I have some dyno sheets if you want to look at them. Great bang for the buck. I am moving up the tuning ladder at UMW to a built engine with bigger turbos...Kevin G

Last edited by KPG; 02-11-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:34 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Don't forget to talk to Sam at The Speed Gallery - a board sponsor to the right. Sam makes some great deals and The Speed Gallery has a lot of experience building tuned 996tt's.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KPG
Alpha, I had that same kit and posted an 11.5 at 128.2 and a 7.93 60-130 with a near 3800# 01 TT.627FWHP/695FWTQ on a Mustang dyno. I did have the ZC option tough.I have some dyno sheets if you want to look at them. Great bang for the buck. I am moving up the tuning ladder at UMW to a built engine with bigger turbos...Kevin G
Thanks KPG. I read your posts on Rennlist about your Zero Clearance experience. Very Nice!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alpha
Thanks KPG. I read your posts on Rennlist about your Zero Clearance experience. Very Nice!
Thanks, BTW Kevin at Ultimate will be in Vegas for the next couple days and wants to meet current and future customers on the way...Give him an email and sit down and chat with him...he will have his laptop with him to do some flashes as well... Take care, kevin G

Old 02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
What's the difference between the ZC and regular package anyway?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by jimmer23
What's the difference between the ZC and regular package anyway?
Jimmer, it is a matter of efficiencies...more efficient compressor housing that spools up faster, heats the air less, more TQ earlier...etc...Give Kevin a shout he can explain it better, but I had the stg2's and was totally satisifed and the whole kit far exceeded my expectations for driveability and for times as well. Saint Ari just put on the same kit recently and is very happy as well. Kevin G

Old 02-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Now my understanding of turbos is that the exhaust wheel and degree of clip has more of an impact on torque than the compressor housing would? Is the actual ZC housing different, or is it a different wheel combination?

I'll shoot Kevin an email to see what's up, thanks for the tip.

Rgds

Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
ZC consists of a solid abradable material lining the compressor housing. The compressor blade cuts into it as it spins for the first time and creates a perfect clearance between the wheel and housing. Custom fit, like hand in glove. The less air slips through the space between the wheel and housing, the more it is used to spin the wheel.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow, pretty cool, but doesn't that cut material have to go somewhere. I don't know, like into the ENGINE? Jeez, once the bearings wear wouldn't more of it cut? Compressor wheels are pretty thin alloy/Al too, isn't there the chance that they will bind or get damaged? Maybe I'm missing something here...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the most cost effective way to get 600hp?