996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Frustrated looking for a mechanic in Reno!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Unhappy Frustrated looking for a mechanic in Reno!

I'm thinking of upgrading my K16 turbos, but I'm not mechanically adept enough to change them myself. So I call the major local Porsche independent in Reno and ask to speak with someone about this. I told the person I spoke with (who said he's not the service manager or the mechanic) that I have a 2001 911 turbo and asked him if they've done much turbo upgrade work. His first question to me "Is that a single turbo, or twin?" Not very confidence inspiring!

I plan on stopping by later on to speak with the actual mechanic. Does anyone have any recommendation for a shop in Reno?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Is that SportHause?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
werksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Is that SportHause?
..Yep, they're pretty good http://www.sporthausinc.com/

Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Yes, it's SportHaus. If people on this board have had work done by them with good results, I'll consider using them. It's just that my telephone interactions with them have left much to be desired.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
salarno motorsports in rocklin did mine it's a wayz but ben is one of the best...

Old 08-29-2007, 11:49 AM
wbvega is infamous around these parts
alpha - i am in reno too. I have had mixed results at SportHaus but overall they are ok. Not sure i would trust them to crack into my engine on a modern Porsche though. If you have a 70's or 80's car, they are experts.

I have heard good things about the Porsche Certified techs at Bill Pearce Porsche, however, dealing with their 'front desk' guys regarding aftermarket add ons is P A I N F U L. They just dont get it. Another (more obvious and likely successful) option, would be to take your car over the hill to SharkWerks in Fremont.

If you are in Sierra Nevada PCA (http://snv.pca.org), send a note to Rich or the group and see what they say. Come to one of our events and ask around. There are a lot of new porsche owners there that mod their cars. If you find someone you like, please let me know.

WBV

Last edited by wbvega; 08-29-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
WBV -- I've had difficulties with the dealer regarding mods as well. I had asked one of the service advisors about billet DVs, and he told me that ANYTHING aftermarket would void my CPO warranty on all related issues. Painful indeed!

I haven't used any independents here yet, but I will be soon. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
sharkwerks is a short drive away.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by carendt242
sharkwerks is a short drive away.
I've decided that if I ever upgrade the turbos, I will make the 4 hour (for me) drive to Fremont to get it done at Sharkwerks. But I may have to settle for my local dealer for routine maintenance.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 PM
DKM
DKM is infamous around these parts
Before you go...C&C Fuel Injection, some of the best work in the city. Ask for Dave Cappuro, hes the owner, Tell him Dave M in las Vegas sent you. He's absolutely awesome, he used to work at Sport Haus but started his own place.

The only place I'd recommend. Seriously...awesome place.

hope this helps,

dave

Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Thank you Dave.