996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Armor Glove & Other Protection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
YNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura about
Armor Glove & Other Protection?

I saw an ad for a company in neraby Greenwich, CT called Armor Glove which installs a protective film on the "high impact areas, such as hoods, bumpers, headlights, wing mirrors.." to protect for damage.

Is this worthwhile, any one have any experience with these guys? Any other options or anyone else worth considering?

Thanks,

Old 02-15-2007, 02:50 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I have the clear bra 3M product. To me it is definately worth it. Piece of mind for stone chips etc, especially at the track.
Pretty near invisible but some dont like the line or edge on the hood.
Some have the entire hood done to prevent seeing the edge.
I dont know any down side...I would do something to protect that baby!!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Westwood is infamous around these parts
I agree with Tom Kerr. I had the front of mine done last winter and I am glad I did. Last summer the bugs just wiped off the front with no effort, and best yet was no damage to the paint.

Some companys do more than others. I had the bumper and leading edges of the hood and fenders done, as well as the mirrors. I don't regret it one bit. I polish mine with wax just like the car to keep it looking good.

Some colors show the line more than others. Mine is hardly visable on Orient Red.

Roger

Old 02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
YNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura about
Tom and Roger;

Thanks for the quick responses. Any recommendations on who and what to use for this or are they mostly pretty similar?
Thanks.
Buzz

Old 02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Westwood is infamous around these parts
Hey Buzz,

My film is also a 3M product, which you would expect in Minnesota, right?

Anyway, someone in our Porsche club did some testing on the films. If I remember right there are two main manufacturers that produce the film and then it is resold/rebranded for other distributors. I believe the outcome was that the 3M product was a little thicker and perhaps the thickness makes it a little more visable than the other film. They both performed well for their intended use however.

If you are a member of the local Porsche club in your area I am sure they can get you to a good installer - which is perhaps more important than which product used. My installer would not use the precut kits that are available on Ebay and elsewhere. He preferred to install and cut it his own way.

Where are you in located? I have a buddy in Canton (West of Hartford) Go Rockcats!

Roger

Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks Roger.
I saw the ad in the local PCA publication. So I will probably end up there for the install.
Buzz

Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
over the past few years the 3M went to a thinner but durable material and very clear. I dont think you can go wrong.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Est8esq is infamous around these partsEst8esq is infamous around these parts
Not to contradict everyone's opinion, but it might be worth hearing another point of view.

I've had several cars use Armor Glove as well as 3M and currently have it on my current TTS.

Depending on what color your car is makes a difference. I've had it applied on my black BMW and after a while, the plastic or whatever you want to call it has a tendency to fade after a time. In contrast to a black car, you will see it and after time, it become more prominent.

I've had better luck on my lighter colored cars (last Porsche was Artic Silver, current car is Slate Grey).

As for bugs coming right off, I have to respectfully disagree. Sometimes, the imprint on the plastic actually makes it more difficult to rub off than if it were on straight paint.

What is certainly worth a look is a cover for your headlights. I believe weathertech makes it for our cars and it's only about $50 or so.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM
ko23 is infamous around these parts
I used VentureShield on my TT. If you go to the VentureShield website, they list all the local certified dealerships and installers. Our local Porsche, Mercedes, Bentley dealerships all use this brand of "clear bra". Mine was perfectly installed and it is barely visible. Fantastic in the Northeast area.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Im right down the street form these guys. It is worth it they do a great job I have it on my white porsche(White is the hardest to film up). It looks superb. GL

-Suman

Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Highhats
Im right down the street form these guys. It is worth it they do a great job I have it on my white porsche(White is the hardest to film up). It looks superb. GL

-Suman
Thanks for the info. Always good to hear positive things from someone with specific experience.

I work in Stamford, so it would be an easy deal - once the roads clean up.
Thanks - Buzz