996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PiggyBack Chip on Previously Modded Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triplej
I've just discovered one of these in my TT after taking it to P for a low boost problem. Not sure where the boost controller is / should be. Any chance of getting the posted images? they have expired by the looks
Oh man poor you sorry! I remember that thing coming in like a bad nightmare I think it's been proven that piggyback is not the way to go when tuning the bosch motronic. Having said that the fact that the original owner of the car had gotten the work done somewhere like that didn't help either.. I'll see if I still have those images.

Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
I'd like to see this horror that everyone is talking about too. If you still have the pics would you please post them again Sharky? Thx
I don't want to relive that nightmare but I'll see if I can find them

Originally Posted by 03 996tt
I curious to see pics as I may have the same thing. The previous owner gave me a receipt showing ecu mod (Porsche Module almost $4.5k) in November of 04. I questioned the dealer (Champion Motorsport) but was told records are archived and they would have to remove and bench test the ecu. Anyone have knowledge as to what Champion was installing back then?
Roger that I'll see.... I doubt Champion would use Unichip... The only places I know of that used Unichip were Racer's Group and TPC Racing?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
ok guys gets your barf bags ready... I found the images and here's the original post and the two pix (I had more but I couldn't do it...):
Hey guys, so yesterday a new customer brings in a modded turbo that he picked up and says the car is stuttering (not plugs), surging and stalling under any type of load. He said the previous owner had it chipped so we started digging around in the back and found a really sweet rats nest

Basically what you see here is a piggy back system spliced into the factory harness with two boxes. The small ones is basically a boost controller of sorts. The entire unit forces the factory boost pressure sensor into reading only .6bar but upon measuring it manually ourselves it was running more like 1.2bar and on 91 etc... From what we could tell the car would run on a stock map until it sensed anything abover 4000rpms and full boost at which time the "piggback" would take over and force the car to do things that when tuned the way it was were not exactly safe.

PS Guys be careful who does the wiring because as you can see there are wires loose, shorted and generally left in quite a mess.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
That looks like a nice clean setup!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by buddyg
That looks like a nice clean setup!

Ugh... like I said buddy... that picture gives me nightmares I've seen "Coked-out" 80s stereo installers do a better wiring job than that

Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
It needs more wires.

Thanks for posting that Sharky.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Nice find Alex, I see your rats nest and raise you:

Old 09-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
It needs more wires.

Thanks for posting that Sharky.
Hah no worries and if every any of you guys are buying a car with a piggyback unichip run... or at least take a look inside!
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer

Damn! I knew unichip had packed up and taken their toys elsewhere but I had no idea they were doing servers now

Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
And guys if you want REAL tuning then this is how it's done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJw8QFp3fVI

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G5mx0Tym7A

Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
triplej is infamous around these parts
Thanks Sharkster,

Whoever installed my one did a way better job than that but I have to say this whole piggy back system seems barbaric to me.

I smell solder

Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by triplej
Thanks Sharkster,

Whoever installed my one did a way better job than that but I have to say this whole piggy back system seems barbaric to me.

I smell solder
I'm really glad that they did... It means if/when you want to go back to stock it shouldn't be a nightmare like this. There are some good shops in Oz with really good tuning capabilities so make sure at some point you get rid of the piggy back stuff and get a real tune on there that keeps your stock knock safety stuff in tact.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer

And I thought my home theater system was bad

Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I'm fairly confident there was and still is a bay area tuner that is a proponent of piggybacks. They did unichip and another one with an "X" in the middle of the name. I will never let that tuner touch my car again. Thankfully that experimentation gone awry was on a subaru.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I'm fairly confident there was and still is a bay area tuner that is a proponent of piggybacks. They did unichip and another one with an "X" in the middle of the name. I will never let that tuner touch my car again. Thankfully that experimentation gone awry was on a subaru.
Vishnu still trying to do that piggback stuff on a porsche?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sharkster
Vishnu still trying to do that piggback stuff on a porsche?
Not advertised, but I have heard there are still customers.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Not advertised, but I have heard there are still customers.
zoikes! a few people on here had commented negatively about it. I believe the owner of the company came on soliciting too before he was banned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PiggyBack Chip on Previously Modded Car