996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PiggyBack Chip on Previously Modded Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
PiggyBack Chip on Previously Modded Car

Hey guys, so yesterday a new customer brings in a modded turbo that he picked up and says the car is stuttering (not plugs), surging and stalling under any type of load. He said the previous owner had it chipped so we started digging around in the back and found a really sweet rats nest

Basically what you see here is a piggy back system spliced into the factory harness with two boxes. The small ones is basically a boost controller of sorts. The entire unit forces the factory boost pressure sensor into reading only .6bar but upon measuring it manually ourselves it was running more like 1.2bar and on 91 etc... From what we could tell the car would run on a stock map until it sensed anything abover 4000rpms and full boost at which time the "piggback" would take over and force the car to do things that when tuned the way it was were not exactly safe.

PS Guys be careful who does the wiring because as you can see there are wires loose, shorted and generally left in quite a mess.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:15 PM
sfbimmer is infamous around these parts
Thanks for not putting a "NSFW" on the title... you just made me lose my lunch.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
looks like a tumor, or one of those 1.5 headed cats from Chernobl...
Joe

Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 PM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
Freaking dirty bastards!!! How did the customer react... I cant imagine him being a happy camper!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sfbimmer
Thanks for not putting a "NSFW" on the title... you just made me lose my lunch.
LOL! But in all seriousness that car could have been in for a world of hurt

Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Dastek, I have heard of them, they are something to do with Unichip!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by exoticalex
Freaking dirty bastards!!! How did the customer react... I cant imagine him being a happy camper!
hey alex, well here's a pic from last night when we were still looking at it. Unfortuntately he was just a regular guy that didn't know too much about cars and got sort of taken for a ride. After it got fixed, codes cleared/addressed and the stage II kit installed he was a happy camper again...

Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Please tell us who the previous "tuner" was for the car so we can rip on them mercilessly. Please please, this could be so fun.

Find anything else interesting?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Please tell us who the previous "tuner" was for the car so we can rip on them mercilessly. Please please, this could be so fun.

Find anything else interesting?
Luckily for everyone it's somebody that I don't believe is around anymore so we're all safe I know mistakes can and _do_ happen but this was just lazy. Nevermind that the Piggyback system doesn't work right but the application was very shoddy in this instance....

Old 02-15-2007, 06:08 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Yikes,

I surprised it didnt self-ignite.

MK

Old 02-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
that is just gross!

-Suman

Old 02-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Alex,

I keep telling you again and again!

We need a SharkWerks here in the Northeast. Long Island, NY if you don't mind.

Those pics are truly horrifying.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Yikes,

I surprised it didnt self-ignite.

MK
No kidding... at least James got to use his super-duper-crazy soldering kit I bought him for his b'day tho

Old 02-15-2007, 06:39 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
Nice repair work!!!!
I cant figure out what some people are thinking. Why would somebody leave a TT with crap like that? If it was a Vette I might understand

Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Friends dont let friends install UC....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PiggyBack Chip on Previously Modded Car