996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OPINIONS: Basalt Black or Solid Black??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 12:22 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by BCS996TT
I have both....

Basalt Black Cayenne S
Flat Black 996TT

Both look awesome, however, if you're into detailing go with Flat Black....looks incredible after a good detail. The basalt will definitely hide swirls, etc but IMHO doesnt stand out as much as the flat black...

check out my sig and you can see both. The "just detailed" section really shows of the car and brings out the deep black color. The pics with the black wheels is after a long winter and in need of a good detail.
You hit the nail on the head. I guess the above really sums it up. I am into detail and could care less about the extra maintenance for the car to look good, because it pays off big time. Flat Black when cared for is much more shiny and a deeper shine.

Lou

Old 03-07-2004, 12:25 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by sentipede
Lou, where do you get your car detailed?
Diamond Image
1110?? W Hubbard

New sponges whenever theywash my car as well as new water. Wah from the top down, no wheel cleaner and baby diapers to dry. Also blow out all the water and use top notch wax, "for real" not like We'll Clean and some of the other pretenders. If you need me to call over there, let me know.

Lou

Old 03-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Flat black is the only way to fly..... Basalt looks nice too.. but appears dusty! thats annoying! also something else to consider.. if you add a aero kit metallic is very difficult to match.. not a problem with flat black..

3 Blackies!!

Last edited by Kevin M; 03-07-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:31 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Kevin M.
Flat black is the only way to fly..... Basalt looks nice too.. but appears dusty! thats annoying! also something else to consider.. if you add a aero kit mettalic is very difficult to match.. not a problem with flat black..

3 Blackies!!

Another great point, basalt always looks dull and/or dusty

Old 03-07-2004, 01:43 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Jet Black is my preference

Old 03-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
I found some shots with Lou's Flat Black turbo, my Basalt Black C2, and Tim's Lambo. Here you can see a difference in the way light reflects off the paint and how much more the Flat stands out: