996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OPINIONS: Basalt Black or Solid Black??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Mark M is infamous around these parts
OPINIONS: Basalt Black or Solid Black??

Does Basalt Black look too dusty in sunlight?

Does it hide swirls or spider webbing more than solid black?

Which of the two looks glossier or deeper?

Old 03-06-2004, 06:21 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Gloss Flat Black can't be beat. I like both colors. Nothing hides swirls better than Arctic Silver.

This is such a personal preference, you owe it to yourself to see these colors on the cars in person, in daylight, to satisfy your curiousity.

If you have ever owned a metallic color, you know there is a difference. If you are going with a black interior, I'd say go with black car. If, on the other hand, you might think of Savanna interior, natural brown, cinnamon brown, or even graphite, I'd consider the metallic.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
I would get Basalt Black, I love it on my car, I don’t think it hides the swirls better, I just think it looks a lot better, it glistens in the moonlight, and in the sunlight, its a shiny black with a hint of purple.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:39 AM
DavidS 996 C2 is infamous around these parts
Basalt.

I own a black Porsche and love it when it is swill free and clean. Fortunately it doesn't rain much in Arizona so it really is not to difficult to keep it clean BUT swirls on black are a problem. A very good detailer is a must with black or the swirls in sunlight will make you dizzy.

Swirls aside a well maintained black Porsche is striking. As with any Porsche I get alot of "Nice car" comments but surprisingly I have received several "How do you keep the swirls out of a solid black car?"

Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
the metallic blacks definitely hide swirils better, for I still would have preferred solid black on my car. Defintely solid black is deeper.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 AM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
Go for Basalt. Here is a shot of mine I took on top of a golf course hill at sunset:

Old 03-06-2004, 09:25 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up FLAT BLACK DEFINATELY

I currently have a flat black Turbo, prior to that I had a flat Black C4S, and prior to that I had a Basalt Black C2. As mentioned, Basalt Black has a really nice purple-ish hue in sunlight. It looks nice, and does hide swirls better. However, it looks a little dull at times and definately is not as shiny. The flat black "pops" more imo. Regarding swirls, I do not have 1 swirl anywhere on my car, shank can attest to that. Chicago streets/wheather are horrible. A great detailer is a must. I get my car waxed every month with two coats of Zymol Concours. The car is buffed, and then one coat of Concours is applied, taken off, let dry, and then another coat is applied. This may seem excessive and I probably could prolong the waxes, however, the aforementioned wheather plays a role and so does the fact that I wash my car every two days. I would definately go with black because it is much more shiny and detailed. Below are links to pics of my turbo(flat black-non-metallic) and my old Basalt Black C2:

Turbo-Non-Metallic Black. 1st pic listed "parent directory" has pics of other cars. Pics of my car are listed as JPEG's "a through j"
https://www.6speedonline.com/911images/lou/

C2-Basalt Black.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291726161

The pics of C2 were somehow saved as "kerri" Just want to make sure your guys no, that was definately not my doing. No naming of cars for me

Old 03-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all your replies.
I guess it's about 50/50 depending on what you're really looking for. If depth of color is important, I can see where solid black comes out ahead.
Basalt Black tends to change tone and looks, depending on the light direction. That would also be nice if that's what you like too.
The problem is, the 996TT looks so damn good in just about any color, it's difficult to decide on one that will keep me happy for a couple of years

Last edited by Mark M; 03-06-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:44 AM
sentipede is infamous around these parts
Lou, where do you get your car detailed?

Old 03-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Ruiner: Nice pic of your car. In that pic, it looks close to Midnight Blue (? blue reflections from the sky and building?)

VikDiddy: Nice night shot of the car with the sunset reflecting off the hood and fender.

LSM: I really noticed the metallic clouding from the Basalt Black C2 pics at imagestation. Thanks for posting them.

I didn't realize this thread would get this much response.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:31 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
Basalt Black

Old 03-06-2004, 03:24 PM
XFIFTY is infamous around these parts
I have flat black and as long as it's clean it's unblievable. Remember it shows every little spot.

Used to have a Silver and it looked always clean.

Old 03-06-2004, 04:07 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
I have both....

Basalt Black Cayenne S
Flat Black 996TT

Both look awesome, however, if you're into detailing go with Flat Black....looks incredible after a good detail. The basalt will definitely hide swirls, etc but IMHO doesnt stand out as much as the flat black...

check out my sig and you can see both. The "just detailed" section really shows of the car and brings out the deep black color. The pics with the black wheels is after a long winter and in need of a good detail.

Old 03-06-2004, 05:18 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
Basalt Black. Easy to take care of and looks great in sunlight.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I would (did) go with flat black. I agree with the thinking in the first post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OPINIONS: Basalt Black or Solid Black??