996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New alumalook interior bits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 AM
FlyingLow is infamous around these parts
New BUMPERPLUGS.com alumalook interior bits

Hi everyone,

In an attempt to re-create some of the aluminum look I liked about my Carrera S I had Eric at Bumperplugs do up some "Alumalook" pieces for me. When I bought the car it already had some aluminum and carbon fiber accents to it, like the shift **** and parking brake handle. So anyway, here's a picture of where it is so far. Something doesn't feel right or finished or I don't know. What I consider options at this point are:
1. take off the air conditioner face, bezel, and the front console surround so only the lower console is in alumalook.
2. see if Eric can do the same treatment to the stereo head unit face. This might complete the picture, I don't know.

Some of you might have some ideas about tearing it all out and going back to stock or changing it all out for carbon fiber. I can't see those as options right now, sorry. Eric, if you see this post I would really like to hear what you think, you've seen more of these jobs than anyone.

By the way, one of my favorite parts of this exercise has been the gauge trim rings and the strips that go along the lower dash.

I know you guys have opinions. I can take it.
Thanks much.

Last edited by FlyingLow; 02-20-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:37 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Hey Flying, imo I think you may want to consider getting a silver rear center console. Not too sure about having the cd trays black either. Not much you can do about the black radio. My car has silver vent slats too, you may like those. I never liked painting the horseshoe piece around the ac/radio unit, just because that's probably one of my least favorite interior pieces in the 996 from a design standpoint. Painting it just draws my eye to it, and I'd rather not notice it. That's just me though.

Let me dig up some pictures of interiors. Maybe you'll get some ideas to help your decisions.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:06 AM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
I definately agree with the rear center console in Aluminum look. The trim rings a little retro but I like them. In black interiors white faced gages or trim rings give enough contrast to work well. I have a grey interior and was thinking about the SS rings which are thinner. I've not seen the thicker ones you have. The dash strips look great they are needed in this car for some contrast along the dash. Does Eric just sell those pieces separate?

Aaron,
I also like the Nav face in silver, is it paint and where did you have it done?

Old 02-18-2007, 02:14 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Hi Carmen, that picture with the silver nav is actually not my car. My nav is just black. That picture is from a turbo I was interested in buying. I read that Porsche did offered the pcm painted package in 05 though, so it is either a factory job or maybe the handy work of bumperplugguy. I know he can paint these pieces for you.

Im in the process of adding a few GT Silver trim pieces myself... to go along with my GT Silver seat backs and other trim pieces that came with the car. Once im done in a week or two ill post pictures of my configuration!

Old 02-18-2007, 03:31 PM
FlyingLow is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys. Eric does sell the strips separately, can't remember the cost. According to my mechanic, who by the way has done tons of interior work, said the strips are a ***** to install because you have to take a lot of other pieces off to get to the screws that hold them in. Definitely worth it though. They are my favorite part of the mod. That's funny that you said the rings look retro. I had rings like that in my 05 Carrera S and thought it made it look high tech. Isn't it funny how different something can look to two different people? After looking at the interior again this morning I'm starting to feel a little better about it. My wife likes it but... did I say that out loud? Anyway, I'll think about the console in alumalook, I have been toying with that idea as well. So now the next question is if I do the rear center console in alumalook should I also find a way to do the radio face. I think it would be weird to have EVERYTHING else in alumalook but the radio. I'm sure it's possible somehow.

After thinking about it some more maybe I'll do what is in the picture with the black surround, silver vents, silver storage trays, etc.

Another idea. Put the black surround back on, paint the radio face and cd storage trays. That way everything up to the vents is silver. I would leave the vent black to match the other two vents.

Last edited by FlyingLow; 02-18-2007 at 03:39 PM.