996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help-- PSM/ABS failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
MikeR is infamous around these parts
Help-- PSM/ABS failure

I was having some fun in the canyons yesterday and at the end of the run PSM failure and then ABS failure messages started flashing. The PSM off and ABS lights stayed lit. It was a fairly spirited run.
Today I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, hoping the it was error codes stuck in memory . No luck, turned the car back on and same error lights and messages.

I called a couple of places in San Diego and south Riverside and they mentioned that the PSM/ABS unit are known to go bad, and costs around $2300.

I have seen some 6speeders say the same errors/lights and were caused by other components going bad.

Anyone suggestions where to take my car for service in SoCal or suggestions at finding the cause?

TIA,
Mike

Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I think this is usually from a MAF or wheel sensor...

Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
If you get the codes from the ECU (can be done for free at Autozone, I think), I'm sure somebody here can help you interpret them.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
make sure your brakes lights are working.....I had an issue where upon startup, I was fine but as soon as I started driving the abs/psm light would come on....finally figured out that it came on the first time I hit the brakes.....turned out to be the little microswitch behind the brake pedal..$15 and 15 minutes......

Chris

Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Sounds just like a MAF failure. Is the car running any different?
In your spirited drive, were you in the throttle hard, then off, then in again
hard throttle? That is when my MAF failed.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 PM
vanboost is infamous around these parts
+1 on the MAF failure, that's my guess. VB

Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha
If you get the codes from the ECU (can be done for free at Autozone, I think), I'm sure somebody here can help you interpret them.
I will give the one autozone center in my area a call. Not much up here in Temecula

Originally Posted by Turbochris
make sure your brakes lights are working.....I had an issue where upon startup, I was fine but as soon as I started driving the abs/psm light would come on....finally figured out that it came on the first time I hit the brakes.....turned out to be the little microswitch behind the brake pedal..$15 and 15 minutes......

Chris
Brake lights are working.

Originally Posted by silvershark
Sounds just like a MAF failure. Is the car running any different?
In your spirited drive, were you in the throttle hard, then off, then in again
hard throttle? That is when my MAF failed.
Car is running the just like before the errors. It has seemed to be running a little sluggish the last couple of months. Car is stock, and has just under 24k miles. On this run I was running the engine pretty hard, high revs in 2nd and hitting the throttle on the straights and on a couple of corners I did hit the brakes pretty hard before entering.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by MikeR
I will give the one autozone center in my area a call. Not much up here in Temecula

Brake lights are working.

Car is running the just like before the errors. It has seemed to be running a little sluggish the last couple of months. Car is stock, and has just under 24k miles. On this run I was running the engine pretty hard, high revs in 2nd and hitting the throttle on the straights and on a couple of corners I did hit the brakes pretty hard before entering.
When I experienced my first MAF failure(with the lights on) the car seemed
to seach for idle. 900rpm-600rpm-1050rpm and so on before holding steady
at a stop. Sound familiar?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by silvershark
When I experienced my first MAF failure(with the lights on) the car seemed
to seach for idle. 900rpm-600rpm-1050rpm and so on before holding steady
at a stop. Sound familiar?
Not familiar. Idle is fine.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Not familiar. Idle is fine.
My sympton may be particular to a modded car
And then again it may not be your MAF.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned
GR996TT is infamous around these parts
I've had PSM/ABS come on due to MAF failure but my car idled fine.

I've also had PSM/ABS come on after spirited driving on crappy roads. All it takes is to be into the throttle hard and get one of the rear wheels off of the ground.

In both of these cases 3-4 shutdown-restart cycles cleared the PSM/ABS lights. Until I got back into boost with the bad MAF.

I've also had PSM/ABS lights thrown when I blew an IC hose (also accompanied by a check engine light).

Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by GR996TT
I've had PSM/ABS come on due to MAF failure but my car idled fine.

I've also had PSM/ABS come on after spirited driving on crappy roads. All it takes is to be into the throttle hard and get one of the rear wheels off of the ground.

In both of these cases 3-4 shutdown-restart cycles cleared the PSM/ABS lights. Until I got back into boost with the bad MAF.

I've also had PSM/ABS lights thrown when I blew an IC hose (also accompanied by a check engine light).

The roads were not in great condition. I was bouncing around on going in and coming out of corners. When you say shutdown-restart, does this also include disconnecting the battery?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
Not to hijack as I want to see you get your problem fixed ASAP, but since everyone seems to be pointing towards a failed MAF what are the common symptoms of a failed MAF?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned
GR996TT is infamous around these parts
When you say shutdown-restart, does this also include disconnecting the battery?
I don't know. Your dealer should be able to pull the codes and tell you what is going on fairly easily.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Update

Took the car to the dealership yesterday. They can not find the problem, yet. Changed a sensor at the front left wheel. Now they are getting a brake pad light on the dash. I never got that light before. I have a feeling it is going to be a while.

While they are at it, I am having them check the clutch pressure accumulator and to see if the turbos are holding boost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help-- PSM/ABS failure