996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

favorite tire choice for your 996tt ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
favorite tire choice for your 996tt ?

i noticed most of you guys have conti's on your cars
any reason why you prefer them over the MPS2 ? , or p-zeros?

Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
I run the M PS2's...but I would be open for a streetable dry weather tire.
Any suggestions?

Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I run MPS2's on my Boxster - but I have heard that when you get into 315's they don't perform as well. I'ld be interested to hear what others have to say about MPS2's in that size.

I've had PZero's and didn't like them too much - especially when the roads were wet. They also became very noisy after a few thousand miles.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rich in Almaden
I run MPS2's on my Boxster - but I have heard that when you get into 315's they don't perform as well. I'ld be interested to hear what others have to say about MPS2's in that size.

I've had PZero's and didn't like them too much - especially when the roads were wet. They also became very noisy after a few thousand miles.
I run the 315/25/19 and they perform great. But at $500 a piece they are
a little steep for track tires. I saw on one of the threads that Falken may
make a Azenis RT-615 in a 19". But I haven't been able to confirm this.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:02 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skojasevic
i noticed most of you guys have conti's on your cars
any reason why you prefer them over the MPS2 ? , or p-zeros?
Steve I would say the road tire of choice is the michelin pilot sport 2. There are cheaper alternatives of course.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
I run the 315/25/19 and they perform great. But at $500 a piece they are
a little steep for track tires. I saw on one of the threads that Falken may
make a Azenis RT-615 in a 19". But I haven't been able to confirm this.
You are running 19's on the track? I thought the poster wanted to know about street tires.

For the track the MPSCup tires or hoosiers. TOYO RA-1's also not bad.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
For the street, I actually like the Conti better than MSP2 because of more superior grip in the wet, and in the snow for that matter. However, MSP2 is better overall on dry.
P-zeros are terrible.
For the track, the MSCups are popular among the Porsche community. I personally don't like them. It's cold where I live and they take at least 2 laps start of each session to warm up. However, these tires are great for heavy car and can take a lot of abuse.
The R6 Hoosiers are fatter,very sticky and warm up very fast. Ideal for lighter cars w/ less torque due to the fact that they wear very fast. Not great for driving long distance to and fromt the track.
This season I am trying out Nitto-01. From my research, Nitto is own by Toyo. They are a better and newer version of RA-1s. Should get optimal grip easier and sooner with the NT-01s. Optimal temp for NT-01s = 160F vs. MSPC = 180F. Moreover, their heat cycle last longer therefore longer and more consistent peak grip than MSCups. They wear better and take more abuse than the R6s when used in high torque cars.

Last edited by vincentdds; 02-22-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Are ra1's good on the streets? Im assuming bad for rain?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
Recently switched from Contis to PS2s on my X73 Turbo and it was a night and day difference.

PS2 far superior.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Vanishing Point is infamous around these parts
I run Mich Pilot Sport Cups on the street as well as the few track/DE days that I do.

The tire is really not bad in the rain you just need to slow down. The downside of course is $$. I get about 4K miles then they are history.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
I run Mich Pilot Sport Cups on the street as well as the few track/DE days that I do.

This tire is really not that bad in the rain you just need to slow down. The downside of course is $$. I get about 4K miles then they are history.
M P Sport Cup all the way. i did the gumball and the bull run on these tires, it was raining HARD in veil through the mountains, and had no problems at all. in dry weather, unbelievable traction.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Dietz is infamous around these parts
Had very good luck with ADVAN Neova AD07
on an EVO - I'll be looking to put them on as a track/rain tire + street time combo

Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I have MSPS2's and I love them! It's like drag radials almost They handle awesome too!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
18" Michelin PS2 is the best all around tire, not bad at track etc...

18" PS Cups are the fastest semislicks I've driven...they are quite great But they have their downsides too (when cold...)

Perhaps next I'll try the Toyo R888. They seem to be the new RA-1, cost less than PS Cups and offers grip also in lower temperatures and wet conditions...(or so they say)

Btw. Driving any 996 with proper suspension, semislick tires and good brakes (Pagid pads and stock Turbo brakes are good...not the best out there but pretty good still)...that's faast!