996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive K24/18G... my project diary...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:45 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geetee
Thanks. I hope they are around for years and years to come.
I was just wondering if they were like other tuners where they can basically do everything. You know, while the engine's being built, body work, paint, brakes, suspension, etc. so you can get the whole package done at once instead of going here and there.
Whether they can? Try talking to Todd about clutches and he will start a kinematic moment of inertia debate with you until he gets you to your exact needs, or brakes, and he will go on and on about heat transfer between pads and disks and how efficiency and grip % will drop per incremental deg. F on the surface of the disc and what the clamping force will become etc..

He (and his wife) really is a true performance enthusiast and enjoys debates in applied physics to any thermodynamics or motion dynamics question raised, only he focuses on what he likes most, building and tuning engines.

Just make sure you never race him on a karting track because he will kick your butt, and if he can't, he will bump you out of the track

Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Protomotive does runa class act for sure. They listen to what you are after and build the car to suit your needs. Like others have said they anr not just parts installers. They know the whole car from front to back. They fixed many problems on my car from work that was done by a local shop. The drive to Arkansas is worth it for me.

Thanks to both T&C for a job very well done.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Fun facts: about Todd and Cynthia

Cynthia used to build Corvette race motors and currently drives an aluminum
big block 68 Camaro with a 6-speed tranny, and Porsche 4-wheel disc brakes. (Todd has now built her an engine room)
Todd used to race in SCCA racing and is an accomplished driver (especially after recently surviving the test drives of Markski's car on the twisty-turny,
Ozark roads with his foot flat to the floor and trying to do read-outs!!

MK

Old 02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Straight we need some videos ASAP!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RCNJ
Alan,
Congrats on your reborn beast! I'm glad everything turned out as planned, after all you are in the best hands. John and Paul are the best people I've dealt with in this business. They're attention to detail, customer service, and experience is outstanding.
Let me know if you're going out this Sunday, maybe we can meet up.

Raudel
Sounds good Raudel. I'm free on Sunday. If the weather is nice we should meet up... but I don't know if my wallet can handle another meeting with you...

Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
Straight we need some videos ASAP!
For sure! I'll try and see if I can get some this weekend. Maybe I can get a small GTG going in my area.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:49 PM
RESQ911 is a jewel in the roughRESQ911 is a jewel in the roughRESQ911 is a jewel in the rough
Cost?

Hey straightblast, I know cost is not discussed openly at times, but it plays a factor when trying to upgrade. Do you mind giving a figure of your cost. What HP are yopu making? 600 crank? You can pm me if you want. Thanks

Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your choice of tuners and turbos. I love my K24 Hybrids/Protomotive combo on my 993tt.

When the time comes to jump to a 996 I will be looking to Protomotive again for my needs.

Todd delivers as promised without hype and BS.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by RESQ911
Hey straightblast, I know cost is not discussed openly at times, but it plays a factor when trying to upgrade. Do you mind giving a figure of your cost. What HP are yopu making? 600 crank? You can pm me if you want. Thanks
You can save considerably by purchasing used turbos. New I believe the turbos run around $4-4500. I spent $1200 on the turbos and another $200 (seller splitting the cost of replacement shaft $400) on the turbine wheel. Add the cost of the work to turn them into Hybrids....

Your best bet would be to contact a shop that sells the kit and get a quote. You may want different options and that can change the cost some considerably. (exhaust, DV's, clutch, hoses etc...) I had most of the hardware to support the power so I felt OK and didn't have to buy really expensive stuff like exhaust and clutch.

I don't know actually how much power it is putting down only that it should be over 600 at the crank. With the discussion of hyrids Vs. straight K24's on the other thread I would prefer not to speculate at this point. I know Todd and Mike at AWE and may reach out to them to dyno the car.

Last edited by str8blst; 02-24-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Very impressive and diplomatic response Alan! Especially since the thread I started last week about Hybrids vs K24's has heated up a bit with lots of info.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:08 PM
RCNJ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by str8blst
Sounds good Raudel. I'm free on Sunday. If the weather is nice we should meet up... but I don't know if my wallet can handle another meeting with you...
I know the feeling! Protomotive 700 maybe coming soon

Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Hey guys....
Here is my take as far as the dyno goes... all u have to do is run more aggressive timing among other things and u will produce serious HP gains. So for marketing purposes I can( like I did on my evo) run 18 degrees of timing vs. 13 and have another 50 to 70 rwhp... yet will I run that car at 20 degrees? probably not.
the point is that a tuner with access to a dyno can come up with some impressive numbers @ 4 second intervals... but that still does not mean that it is the way it should be... or ends up being...
I think reliability.... zero mafs issues... no CELs... smooth power all the way to redline... no stutters.. no blown plugs, etc... and finally good street results are more important then dyno figures... which can be manipulated at ones will.
With that being said, I know that the k24/18g can be rated at 650 hp but it is not(race gas)...
no harm intended towards any tuner... just speaking in general.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 02-23-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:37 PM
TOPPORSCHE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Hey guys....
Here is my take as far as the dyno goes... all u have to do is run more aggressive timing among other things and u will produce serious HP gains. So for marketing purposes I can( like I did on my evo) run 18 degrees of timing vs. 13 and have another 50 to 70 rwhp... yet will I run that car at 20 degrees? probably not.
the point is that a tuner with access to a dyno can come up with some impressive numbers @ 4 second intervals... but that still does not mean that it is the way it should be... or ends up being...
I think reliability.... zero mafs issues... no CELs... smooth power all the way to redline... no stutters.. no blown plugs, etc... and finally good street results are more important then dyno figures... which can be manipulated at ones will.
With that being said, I know that the k24/18g can be rated at 650 hp but it is not(race gas)...
no harm intended towards any tuner... just speaking in general.
markski
I completely agree........I am surprised at how limited some of the porsche tuners are when it comes to turbo knowledge and tuning.......I spoke to Todd today and so far I would say nothing but great things, he knows his s#*$t.....Also I have decided to go with garret turbo (custom setup) and Todd has agreed to give me a custom tune......As you said Markski "no harm intended towards any tuner....just speaking in general".....Jay.S

Old 02-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Hey guys....
I have a lot to learn about this platform...

I know what you mean though Mark about drivability/reliability being the most important aspect of modding. When I built my S4 the sole purpose was to have a reliable everyday driver that I wouldn't have to sink a lot of money into to maintain and not a dyno queen. I'm glad I was able to get a Hybrid package for my 996TT that is good out of the box. Of course John needed to tweak it a bit when it was all finally done but that just adds to the individuality of this package IMHO. I fully expect this to be just as reliable as my S4 but with much more power.

Last edited by str8blst; 02-24-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:03 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
I am interested in the same kit and would like to know more peoples opinions about the prducts in discussion?

Last edited by GTRNICK; 02-25-2007 at 08:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive K24/18G... my project diary...