996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A running pictorial of my monster Protomotive build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:52 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
scott looks like shes gonna be beast.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
Very cool stuff Scott!!! Congratulations.
Thanks Craig.

A year ago, GT3 exhaust cams were cutting edge (thats what I have). Now intake cams are the state of the art. How much additional HP do you think you will acheive with the modified intake cams (if you can isolate the increase from that particular component)?
I really can't say yet. Todd and I are both curious just how much my engine will like these new cams.

I too have after-market springs (supplied by IA), but I have no idea what the data is on them.

I assume you are doing intercoolers similar to what Markski and I have. If not, what are you using in terms of ICs?
I already have Todd's high-end ICs. I had them installed with my last setup. I paid the extra for them at the time (even though they were overkill for only 675 HP) because I knew I'd be stepping up eventually.

Why did you opt not to increase the valve sizes on your heads? I would be concerned that the OEM valve sizes might restrict the considerable airflow generated by the GT35s.
Truth is, my budget would allow me to only go so far, so we tried something else.

Also, a Prototech car with stock heads, stock cams and lesser ICs and lesser fuel system than I have, but with built bottom end, Todd's intake, muffler, tune and GT35R's...made 740 rwhp at 1.5 BAR when he finally ran out of fuel. Using that as a template, I think the heads and valves aren't nearly as restrictive as they are thought to be.

I may need to use more boost than Mark, but the power will still be there at a reasonable boost level.

I think your 1k HP goal is well within reach with your set-up and, with your skilled driving and nearby fast track, you will be well into the 9s. I see a new name at the top of the 1/4 mile list very soon!!!

Craig
Thanks again, Craig. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-26-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:14 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Very sweet project another Proto Beast will be unleashed!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:36 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Amazing stuff, Protomotive never ceases to amaze. These projects always sound like something I would've dreamed up in junior high when I wasn't paying attention, but they're real. It's totally mind boggling.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by geetee
Thats awesome divee. Another 1k protomotive TT. I cant wait to see what the power curve looks like.
Few questions, why didnt the others (markski,vr) use lightweight turbines to have boost come on ealier?
I don't believe they were available at the time, but I'm not 100% positive.

Do you think your headwork is enough to flow compared to mckenzies? The cost isnt worth it?
Not sure yet. We'll have to find out. Cams can make a huge difference in flow.

I know its to early to tell but it seems like final HP numbers are going to be similar to the other 2 ppl. Can you give us a breakdown of the difference when its done. It seems like your setup will be less money yet similar HP.
Thanks.
In time we'll be able to see how they compare.

My best friend and next door neighbor is getting his car done just like VRAlex's car, all the way down to the Mckenzie heads. He *may* even go to a stroked 3.8 liter and do the same thing to his cams to use GT3 code like I'm doing. He'll remain AWD and full-weight. We'll dyno our cars at the same shop, same day.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-19-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Scott- Great build and nice pictures. Is there a warranty that you get with the build? 1year, 10,000 miles,etc.

Byron
Hi Byron,

There is no written warranty.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-25-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by buddyg
Very sweet project another Proto Beast will be unleashed!
Thanks Buddy.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by F**K
Amazing stuff, Protomotive never ceases to amaze. These projects always sound like something I would've dreamed up in junior high when I wasn't paying attention, but they're real. It's totally mind boggling.
LOL...you sound like you were like me in school. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 PM
CARVER is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Nice!

You know Scott, at your HP&TQ level,
I'm actually starting to like dynojets again simply for the tire smoking beat down you'll be able to unleash on that poor dyno!!
Don't tell them what you have before you run it.......
3rd. gear video's with everyone running for cover please!!

ps make sure it's tied down laterally as well as longitudinally and when you sign the waiver, have one for them to sign too......LOL

*disclaimer:do not try this at home, we are trained professionals*

Last edited by CARVER; 02-25-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by CARVER
Nice!

You know Scott, at your HP&TQ level,
I'm actually starting to like dynojets again simply for the tire smoking beat down you'll be able to unleash on that poor dyno!!
Don't tell them what you have before you run it.......
3rd. gear video's with everyone running for cover please!!

ps make sure it's tied down laterally as well as longitudinally and when you sign the waiver, have one for them to sign too......LOL

*disclaimer:do not try this at home, we are trained professionals*
LOL...I think I'll do that. They might start to wonder though when I start physically checking all the tie-downs myself just prior to the run.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Scott, I can't wait to see how your new set-up performs on the big, black dyno...enjoy!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme

Truth is, my budget would allow me to only go so far, so we tried something else.

Also, a Prototech car with stock heads, stock cams and lesser ICs and lesser fuel system than I have, but with built bottom end, Todd's intake, muffler, tune and GT35R's...made 740 rwhp at 1.5 BAR when he finally ran out of fuel. Using that as a template, I think the heads and valves aren't nearly as restrictive as they are thought to be.
Very nice Scott,sure to be a monster .And I agree,from my experience in building my motor and trying different setups(EVOMS did a heavy port and polish on my heads but the valve sizes were left stock), I also don't feel the heads or valves are as restrictive as everyone thinks.While there is a little extra power to be had,I think the money is better used elsewhere,like a great fuel system and properly setup turbos .Your on the right track.Keep us updated.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
What I admire about Proto is that they are always trying (and doing) something a little different. Makes the customer feel that they are getting something unique and not "off the shelf." Congrats Scott, can't wait to see the results

Old 02-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by joetwint
Very nice Scott,sure to be a monster .And I agree,from my experience in building my motor and trying different setups(EVOMS did a heavy port and polish on my heads but the valve sizes were left stock), I also don't feel the heads or valves are as restrictive as everyone thinks.While there is a little extra power to be had,I think the money is better used elsewhere,like a great fuel system and properly setup turbos .Your on the right track.Keep us updated.
Thanks, Joe. You and I are definitely thinking along the same lines. I appreciate the comments.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Scott, looks great and I am sure you are excited that this project is rapidly approaching completion. I am sure you will be just as happy as Mark when all is said and done. Looking forward to you and Mark doing a thorough reshuffle of the 6speed standings ....Take care, Kevin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A running pictorial of my monster Protomotive build