996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A running pictorial of my monster Protomotive build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
What I admire about Proto is that they are always trying (and doing) something a little different. Makes the customer feel that they are getting something unique and not "off the shelf." Congrats Scott, can't wait to see the results
Thanks, brother. Ya, I agree...Todd is definitely all about custom builds (hence the name "Prototype Automotive").

He comes up with ideas and bounces them off of me, and always listens to my input as well. It really makes the experience almost as fun as the final product.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Scott, looks great and I am sure you are excited that this project is rapidly approaching completion. I am sure you will be just as happy as Mark when all is said and done. Looking forward to you and Mark doing a thorough reshuffle of the 6speed standings ....Take care, Kevin
Thank you, Kevin. I think all of us will be pretty happy whe all is said and done. Take care.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by John D II
Scott, I can't wait to see how your new set-up performs on the big, black dyno...enjoy!
Me too, John. As you already know, that's the only dyno I really trust.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Super!!!! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to future updates and hearing more about your BEAST...

Old 02-25-2007, 11:35 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Scott,

Awesome!!!, and By the way, the day I drove my car down to the Knighton
Ranch for a "jeep Jamboree" I had YOUR CAMS in my hands, Super Cool grind!!!

Good luck, and also good luck to New York Joe who continues to push the
EVOMS envelope. What a fun year ahead we have.

MK

Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Scott,

Looks superb. Could I ask how long this build has taken? And how long it would take without the R&D?

Thank you so much for pics and the update, its great to live vicariously through you!

best,
adam

Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by AdamT
Scott,

Looks superb. Could I ask how long this build has taken? And how long it would take without the R&D?

Thank you so much for pics and the update, its great to live vicariously through you!

best,
adam
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the compliments.

I sent my car to Todd a while back knowing that I would have to wait a while before he could start on it. But since I'm overseas and my car was just sitting in my garage back in the US, I didn't mind.

Since there were a couple of other cars in front of mine when it arrived at his shop (Mark's and Jamie's), he was only just recently able to really focus on mine. Also, we had to wait for my cams and some other components to come back which took longer than expected.

I would venture to guess (and it’s only just a guess), that during a normal time of the year when he has multiple cars in his shop (like he normally does), that it would take 2-3 months without any R&D, and maybe 4 months with R&D. But it would really depend on what type if build is being done and how busy Todd is at the time.

As far as you living vicariously through me; I'd say you're living pretty vicariously yourself judging from the list of great cars in your signature.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Scott,

Awesome!!!, and By the way, the day I drove my car down to the Knighton
Ranch for a "jeep Jamboree" I had YOUR CAMS in my hands, Super Cool grind!!!

Good luck, and also good luck to New York Joe who continues to push the
EVOMS envelope. What a fun year ahead we have.

MK
Hey Marty,

I'm jealous. You've had your hands on more of my car than I have recently.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Scott,

Cheers for that,

Now please keep updating us with every bit of progress!

very best,
adam

Old 02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Diveextreme,

I am curious as to what rpm's you are designing the motor to run when you say you are looking for good midrange power? You are adding more lift and intake as compared to the stock cams. Did you flow the heads to come up with your lifts and durations? If so I would love to know the flow of the stock heads. Your cams will be bigger than the stock 996tt cams VR used but smaller than the cams Markski used. As a comparison Markski's intake cam has a lift of 484 (432 your regrind) and the exhaust cam has a lift of 437 (400 your regrind). The intake's duration is 285 while the exhaust's is 285. I understand the difference with the intake as the stock cam housings just don't have enough room. The stock cam housings do have enough room for larger lift exhausts however maybe any more would have created an imbalance with the intakes.

Can't wait to hear more about it. I'm sure Protomotive will custom build your motor to exactly what you have in mind.

Last edited by cjv; 02-26-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Scott, looks great and I am sure you are excited that this project is rapidly approaching completion. I am sure you will be just as happy as Mark when all is said and done. Looking forward to you and Mark doing a thorough reshuffle of the 6speed standings ....Take care, Kevin
Second that I believe that list will include quite a few 9 second 1/4 mile runs when these boys have a chance to unleash these beasts this Spring/Summer!

Nothing like taking a stock looking 996tt and running faster than a tubbed out track only 68 Camaro big block sitting on the line next to you!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Sounds amazing, thanks for posting up! Keep those pictures coming!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM
TRK
TRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cjv
I am curious as to what rpm's you are designing the motor to run when you say you are looking for good midrange power?
Happy between 4-8k

Originally Posted by cjv
You are adding more lift and intake as compared to the stock cams. Did you flow the heads to come up with your lifts and durations? If so I would love to know the flow of the stock heads.
Wow! you missed some data collection Chad??? That's hard to believe
Mild porting, working with factory valves.

Originally Posted by cjv
Your cams will be bigger than the stock 996tt cams VR used but smaller than the cams Markski used. As a comparison Markski's intake cam has a lift of 484 (432 your regrind) and the exhaust cam has a lift of 437 (400 your regrind). The intake's duration is 285 while the exhaust's is 285. I understand the difference with the intake as the stock cam housings just don't have enough room. The stock cam housings do have enough room for larger lift exhausts however maybe any more would have created an imbalance with the intakes.
Maintaining factory ratio's. The engines work well, so it's minor improvements in that area, not reinventing the wheel with this one.

Originally Posted by cjv
Can't wait to hear more about it. I'm sure Protomotive will custom build your motor to exactly what you have in mind.
All progress and a great learning experience. It's great to have clients like we've run into that are willing to let it hang out a bit and aren't so tied into the "off the shelf" kit thing.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
So sick Scott, like the kit isnt crazy enough, with you behind the wheel you are damn near unstoppable

Old 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
So sick Scott, like the kit isnt crazy enough, with you behind the wheel you are damn near unstoppable
Oh..knock it off, Martin.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-05-2007 at 09:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A running pictorial of my monster Protomotive build