996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2wd vs. 4wd which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
What are the weight comparisons to the X50 and the GT2? It's not just the way they attack corners that makes the difference I'm sure. (Lots of variables there... also what about suspension?) I'm asking... I don't know the answers in the differences between the 2 cars.

Traditionally, 2WD is the way to go. In some ways, I miss my C2 when I'm at the track. I think what Cary said is right about their being so much more development in 2WD.

The GT2 / Turbo X50 is probably not a good comparison.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
wow, that's a lot of stuff to consider. Just about everyone is correct in their statements under specific conditions. But I would like to chime in with a couple of comments for our enthusiasts. 1). A GT-2 will beat an X-50 on the short track, but if you want to be fair and allow mods--even out the weight between the two and the X-50 wins. If you use stock X-50 and GT-2, the edge dissappears for the GT-2 for any race of length b/c of better tire management in the AWD vs RWD. So if the question is AWD vs RWD with same weight and hp, AWD wins. If the question is GT-2 vs X-50, GT-2 wins on short, dry course but not by much and in expert hands for both (ask Hurley Haywood). As for the feel issue, reaching the friction circle edge in a controlled way with throttle stearing will always feel faster and sexier and more intense than a slight understeer. But the properly set up TT can be finessed around a corner with almost the same excitement, after all, the winner's podium is pretty cool. If you want the same feel out of the TT, get rid of the PSM, remember, the engine is still in the back. Now, for all you modaholics, when you start getting torque and whp above 600, you may want the less wheel spin of AWD. 2) In regards to heel toe. the issue surrounds e-throttle and how the computer cuts off gas if the brake is applied. This is the safety feature from the Audi law suits about people plowing through their garages. As long as the clutch is applied, heel toe shifting is not a problem in the TT. There are the occasional glitches where we have all sworn that the throttle was blipped and no response, but that is rare. As for trail braking and heel toing without the clutch, weight transfer, these and other similar issues MAY at times relate to an option called PSM that is added for safety for the average driver that buys a TT. If you don't like it, get it on a switch like the car at the Porsche Driving Experience. You can turn it off and it stays off. But remember, of those that buy AND drive GT-2, many more % have wrecked or sold their GT-2 than the % of TT b/c of "sexy" handling. 3) Finally, this is a great forum and to those who do not keep an open mind, they lose the prospects of mental gymnastic fun and the track rewards it may bring. You don't have to always be right to offer opinions, and sometimes it is only about opinion. These discussions remind me of the dinner table growing up. But wait until someone says something about your brother (911) outside the family (Porsche.) My .02

Old 03-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
James,

Great post … we needed that…

The tough part about Hurley (though he is a great guy) is that fact that he will paint the picture the way Porsche wants to see it. Here’s what I’m always up against though. In theory you are correct about the AWD but only in the case of the Trans AM Audi’s did we every really see as superior car on tarmac. Though the car’s do well in Speed Vision, last year Bill Auberlen in the BMW won at Lime Rock (I think it was there, correct me if I’m wrong) in the rain without the Audi’s breaking and Bill was having to carry extra weight to boot. There is no doubt on the launch’s and the dirt, Audi’s have the upper hand but on a road course it’s still hard to say.

For sure the GT2 is lighter than the X50 and comes with better suspension but I’m not sure that if they were equal that it would be different in all cases though, we really don’t know until it’s done. As I said earlier, I loved driving the Audi race car but not all that excited about my TT. I can also tell you that I hated ABS when it first came out but the racing ABS in the 2003 Cup cars is so cool it’s like cheating. I just think there are a lot of theory’s but, still more unknowns at this point. Until Porsche builds a AWD GT2 all these one off comparisons won’t mean a lot.

After all, driving fast has a lot to do with ones comfort level and I think we can say that the average driver will perform better with AWD. But, until you have the Bill Auberlens of the world testing them we don’t know the ultimate answer.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by james
In regards to heel toe. the issue surrounds e-throttle and how the computer cuts off gas if the brake is applied. This is the safety feature from the Audi law suits about people plowing through their garages. As long as the clutch is applied, heel toe shifting is not a problem in the TT.
Thank you James. I guess my post started this heel toe discussion. I drive my GT3 that way always when down shifting. Clutch in to blip while braking and no problem. I could not see how the TT would be any different. I think there were some post interpretation/communication issues that lead to this spirited debate....