996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

springs vs coil overs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TXGold
There is no mark up on the lowering spring. Of course they aren't going to endorse it. I have some Ruf lowering springs for sale. They are great for lowering the car to the perfect ride height. Champion uses them on there new 997TT performance packages, without any complaints. Not everyone is looking for a cup car type suspension set up.

Good luck,
Ryan
Bingo!
I concur with Ryan, the Champion/H&R springs work great on my 997TT.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
I didn't have good luck with just H&R springs on my 996TT. The stock struts just weren't robust enough, and I had clearance issues as a result of the springs lowering the car. I ended up with a KW suspension installed by Tym Switzer, and so far it feels awesome. Just got the car back a couple days ago, so I'll let you know more as I drive it.

Last edited by Bluecuda; 12-22-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
Fabryce,
thanks for responding back quickly, no you are right this post was for 996 tt, i just wandered from 997 to 996 board (for research) and i saw this statement, hence the question. so what you are telling me is that because the 997 tt dampers are pasm, springs are effective verses a oem non pasm damper for 996 tt, and that using lowering springs for 997 tt will not permaturely wear the pasm dampers? where if lowering springs are used on a non pasm damper for 996 tt will wear the dampers quickly. I guess i like to know why ?

Ronnie

Ronnie

997TT yes the damper can take the lower ride height of a properly designed lowering spring. Meaning the damper itself has enough stroke in the shaft that it will not blow the internal seals out.
What ever springs you decide on should you go that route .. Make sure they dont have a softer spring rate than stock as many of the popular brands achieve the lowering this way.

996TT
The standard damper that is on any factory non GT or PASM equipped Porsche is very very old in design and in fact very in-expensively made. If you actually knew what it costs to Porsche acquire a set of stock type dampers from someone like Boge, or Bilstien on a OE basis it would probably make you fall over , Its amazing how in expensive they are.
But to answer your question a stock damper cannot live very long with a lowered spring because the piston stroke is in position of the shaft itself where it works outside of its specified range.

In either application a lowering spring will wear a damper quicker. It really boils down to the fact that the PASM damper can sustain a properly engineered lowering spring for a greater period of time and mileage where as a stock style damper as on a 996tt can not and it will reduce the life of the damper much sooner.

Hence kits like the PSS9 /10 and Damptronic kits have dampers that are matched with springs so everything works in specification. Race dampers such as Moton, JRZ and Ohlins have even better technology built into them internally and can control heavier spring rates while maintainin proper shock travel and a comfortable ride.

FYI- Eibach did all the testing of the stock PASM dampers with our springs on there shock dyno in both sport and non sport modes. The design we came up with has achieved the desired results. 8 months of development and over 12 spring design changes!! Not an easy or inexpensive task but it has been done right.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
talk to carry at erp about his jrz's...he/they are the best

Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned
1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about
I gone with a different route to anyone here with my suspension setup (then again, everything on my car is different than what you usually see here on this board)- Aragosta Coilovers with Roberuta Lift System, something that looks similar to this:

except that I went with a more expensive route with the plug'n'play "lifter system",which has everything that comes in a black-box like this:

Form & Function all in one; Aragosta's quality is world famous, and the Roberuta system let my ride heigh slam to the ground but still able to go over speed bump or ramp w/out angle the car.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1JDM996
I gone with a different route to anyone here with my suspension setup (then again, everything on my car is different than what you usually see here on this board)- Aragosta Coilovers with Roberuta Lift System, something that looks similar to this:

except that I went with a more expensive route with the plug'n'play "lifter system",which has everything that comes in a black-box like this:

Form & Function all in one; Aragosta's quality is world famous, and the Roberuta system let my ride heigh slam to the ground but still able to go over speed bump or ramp w/out angle the car.
Roberuta is a damn nice system, the only weakness is the 900000yen price tag

Old 12-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Banned
1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 996Choy
Roberuta is a damn nice system, the only weakness is the 900000yen price tag
900k yen is for the basic kit, lifter system (front & rear) is more like 1,300k+ yens.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Ronnie

997TT yes the damper can take the lower ride height of a properly designed lowering spring. Meaning the damper itself has enough stroke in the shaft that it will not blow the internal seals out.
What ever springs you decide on should you go that route .. Make sure they dont have a softer spring rate than stock as many of the popular brands achieve the lowering this way.

996TT
The standard damper that is on any factory non GT or PASM equipped Porsche is very very old in design and in fact very in-expensively made. If you actually knew what it costs to Porsche acquire a set of stock type dampers from someone like Boge, or Bilstien on a OE basis it would probably make you fall over , Its amazing how in expensive they are.
But to answer your question a stock damper cannot live very long with a lowered spring because the piston stroke is in position of the shaft itself where it works outside of its specified range.

In either application a lowering spring will wear a damper quicker. It really boils down to the fact that the PASM damper can sustain a properly engineered lowering spring for a greater period of time and mileage where as a stock style damper as on a 996tt can not and it will reduce the life of the damper much sooner.

Hence kits like the PSS9 /10 and Damptronic kits have dampers that are matched with springs so everything works in specification. Race dampers such as Moton, JRZ and Ohlins have even better technology built into them internally and can control heavier spring rates while maintainin proper shock travel and a comfortable ride.

FYI- Eibach did all the testing of the stock PASM dampers with our springs on there shock dyno in both sport and non sport modes. The design we came up with has achieved the desired results. 8 months of development and over 12 spring design changes!! Not an easy or inexpensive task but it has been done right.
thanks for the explanation, i will be giving you a call soon !