996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

springs vs coil overs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
springs vs coil overs

Question for the suspension experts:

I am considering aftermarket shortened springs for a lower stance. Springs seem to cost significantly less than PSS9's or other coil over set ups.

Are there any significant handling issues with lowering springs or ride quality issues? Will they wear out the factory shocks/ struts any faster?

Are coil overs worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance!

Sameer

Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Dont waste your time with lowering springs- The shocks equipped on US spec cars will only loose there dampening quickly - Springs may offer you a lowered look but will do little to nothing in terms of performance.

A good entry level coil over kit is a Pss9 - it will offer the look- performance and comfort you want. The damper is also adjustable so we can tune the ride quality to what you like.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email or call me at the shop. Or if you are in the area stop by I usually have a car in the shop with a PSS9 Kit and we can arrange a test drive.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 AM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really nice
PSS9 is a great set up

Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by smistry007
Are coil overs worth the extra money?
......you bet.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Dietz is infamous around these parts
The X73 package is another alternative. Best compromise and tuned by Porsche.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:25 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure about price, but my JIC Cross coilovers are great. Adjustable ride height, big performance improvement and remains comfortable for cruising around with my wife!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Dietz is infamous around these parts
Has anyone gone from X73 to JIC's or Motons.?

What is the noticable difference?

What about maintaince? Rebuild every 2 years, refil
nitrogen reservoir recharging, corner balancing, springs + helpers, hassle of reajusting compression and rebound, let alone "When I have entry corner understeer - do I adjust front compression or rear rebound?"

Old 03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by willcoxmd
I'm not sure about price, but my JIC Cross coilovers are great. Adjustable ride height, big performance improvement and remains comfortable for cruising around with my wife!
Wilcox - car looks sweet, man. I just ordered my JIC's a couple days ago. What spring rate did you go with and where do you have your ride height adjusted at? I want my setup to look like yours in your avatar.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Wilcox - car looks sweet, man. I just ordered my JIC's a couple days ago. What spring rate did you go with and where do you have your ride height adjusted at? I want my setup to look like yours in your avatar.
I love my JICs. I have the 7kg/10kg setup and couldn't be happier.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ruiner
I love my JICs. I have the 7kg/10kg setup and couldn't be happier.
I just went in to your profile to see if you had any pics. Nice setup man. Love your ride height as well. btw, good luck with the sell.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Dont waste your time with lowering springs- The shocks equipped on US spec cars will only loose there dampening quickly - Springs may offer you a lowered look but will do little to nothing in terms of performance.

A good entry level coil over kit is a Pss9 - it will offer the look- performance and comfort you want. The damper is also adjustable so we can tune the ride quality to what you like.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email or call me at the shop. Or if you are in the area stop by I usually have a car in the shop with a PSS9 Kit and we can arrange a test drive.
hey fabryce

i have been researching a lot on lowering my car 997 turbo. your above statement contradicts (will loose dampening quickly, and no performance gain) with what GMG says for lowering a 997 turbo on your website as you know you guys make lowering springs for 997 tt. can you shed some light as i am now thourougly confused because i was ready to buy the gmg wc lowering springs for 997 tt.

ronnie

Last edited by cgng30; 12-20-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
There is no mark up on the lowering spring. Of course they aren't going to endorse it. I have some Ruf lowering springs for sale. They are great for lowering the car to the perfect ride height. Champion uses them on there new 997TT performance packages, without any complaints. Not everyone is looking for a cup car type suspension set up.

Good luck,
Ryan

Old 12-20-2008, 09:46 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TXGold
There is no mark up on the lowering spring. Of course they aren't going to endorse it. I have some Ruf lowering springs for sale. They are great for lowering the car to the perfect ride height. Champion uses them on there new 997TT performance packages, without any complaints. Not everyone is looking for a cup car type suspension set up.

Good luck,
Ryan
i am not talking about pricing at all, i am talking about the statement that lowering springs are waste of time and will wear the dampers, but yet they make lowering spring for 997 tt. i have a 997 tt not a 996.

thanks for the offer though.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
i am not talking about pricing at all, i am talking about the statement that lowering springs are waste of time and will wear the dampers, but yet they make lowering spring for 997 tt. i have a 997 tt not a 996.

thanks for the offer though.

Ronnie

Let me clarify, yes we do make a lowering spring that is matched to the 997TT stock PASM damper and they work perfectly fine for mostly everyone.

I was under the impression the post was about a 996TT thus my comment regarding the performance on the 996TT NON Pasm damper. You mentioned a Pss9 kit which I presume means you are refering to a 996 TT as well . As the 997TT has a damptronic kit and only offers dampening changes electronically which are basically 2 settings sport and normal via the vehicle sport button.

So I hope we are talking about the same car....... Once again my post was in regards to a 996TT and not 997TT which has a different damper and our springs are made to work within the parameters of the stock PASM damper.
The spring technology (design)that is used to make a spring for PASM style damper that has different rates is different than what is used for a tradtional OE type of damper. This is why we choose not to offer a simple lowering spring for the 996TT as we felt that there was not enough performance to be gained without sacrificing the life of the damper.

Hope that sheds some light on the situation.......MY apologies If I mis-read the initial post didnt mean to confuse anyone.

I am always available via phone and would be more than happy to spend sometime discussing how the whole process works.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Ronnie

Let me clarify, yes we do make a lowering spring that is matched to the 997TT stock PASM damper and they work perfectly fine for mostly everyone.

I was under the impression the post was about a 996TT thus my comment regarding the performance on the 996TT NON Pasm damper. You mentioned a Pss9 kit which I presume means you are refering to a 996 TT as well . As the 997TT has a damptronic kit and only offers dampening changes electronically which are basically 2 settings sport and normal via the vehicle sport button.

So I hope we are talking about the same car....... Once again my post was in regards to a 996TT and not 997TT which has a different damper and our springs are made to work within the parameters of the stock PASM damper.
The spring technology (design)that is used to make a spring for PASM style damper that has different rates is different than what is used for a tradtional OE type of damper. This is why we choose not to offer a simple lowering spring for the 996TT as we felt that there was not enough performance to be gained without sacrificing the life of the damper.

Hope that sheds some light on the situation.......MY apologies If I mis-read the initial post didnt mean to confuse anyone.

I am always available via phone and would be more than happy to spend sometime discussing how the whole process works.
Fabryce,
thanks for responding back quickly, no you are right this post was for 996 tt, i just wandered from 997 to 996 board (for research) and i saw this statement, hence the question. so what you are telling me is that because the 997 tt dampers are pasm, springs are effective verses a oem non pasm damper for 996 tt, and that using lowering springs for 997 tt will not permaturely wear the pasm dampers? where if lowering springs are used on a non pasm damper for 996 tt will wear the dampers quickly. I guess i like to know why ?

Ronnie

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: springs vs coil overs