996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

X73 Porsche Factory Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I think the plug and play is why a few people will put lowering springs on their Turbo and call it good.
You gain about 1" in lowering and a little stiffer ride over stock. I honestly have been reading and trying to decide what way to go. I think in the end I need to decide what kind of driving I'll be doing to figure out what suspension is best.

I'd like to know what the cost is as well for the X73.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
You can buy the X73 at Suncoast for $2549, Retail $2925

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=996ttsusp

From a cost perspective it's about the same as the PSS9/10

The advantage of the X73 is that it's a Porsche part and wouldn't cancel any warranties.

Last edited by Durango Kid; 12-06-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Include Retail
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
sanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud of
If you do a little digging around for oem parts online you can get them a tad lower than Suncoast. I don't know if they do it but maybe call them for price matching. Or call them and ask for cost plus 10%. I just ordered the X73 kit for $2275 which I believe to be cost plus 10. When I ordered it they (not Suncoast) checked the computer and said there were two sets available in Germany. I hope to get it three weeks or so from now.

For me, oem carries a lot of weight. That coupled with the plug & play factor is right up my ally. YMMV

Old 12-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
X73

It's hard to beat the factory tuned X73 suspension. I doubt any of the aftermarket shock/spring manufacturers have spent the time and the money to tune the X73 suspension as Porsche has. However, if you can find a shop that has substantial experience in both installation and tuning of aftermarket suspensions, then you will get an improvement over the X73. Also be aware that aftermarket shocks/springs may require additional modifications to be usable on the street. The 996 has notoriously limited adjustment in the camber and toe eccentrics (hence you know the X73 will work but aftermarket may not). I considered both and decided to go with PSS10s, rear adjustable upper control arms (dog bones), rear adjustable toe links, thicker adjustable sway bars, and drop links. (I also installed the X73 engine mounts and 997 tranny mount). The costs of parts, installation, corner balancing, alignment, and dialing in the suspension is considerably more than the putting in the X73 package. The other down side is the aftermarket parts make a little more noise than the factory alternatives.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sanyata
If you do a little digging around for oem parts online you can get them a tad lower than Suncoast. I don't know if they do it but maybe call them for price matching. Or call them and ask for cost plus 10%. I just ordered the X73 kit for $2275 which I believe to be cost plus 10. When I ordered it they (not Suncoast) checked the computer and said there were two sets available in Germany. I hope to get it three weeks or so from now.

For me, oem carries a lot of weight. That coupled with the plug & play factor is right up my ally. YMMV
We can match that price, we're always willing to help our 6speed friends. However, there is low stock at the moment. Let me know if I can help.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Low stock... How long will they continue to make this package as a factory upgrade for our cars?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Can anyone provide any pics of their car with the X73 suspension? I'd like to see what the drop looks like compared to the Pss9/10

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
It's hard to beat the factory tuned X73 suspension. I doubt any of the aftermarket shock/spring manufacturers have spent the time and the money to tune the X73 suspension as Porsche has. However, if you can find a shop that has substantial experience in both installation and tuning of aftermarket suspensions, then you will get an improvement over the X73. Also be aware that aftermarket shocks/springs may require additional modifications to be usable on the street. The 996 has notoriously limited adjustment in the camber and toe eccentrics (hence you know the X73 will work but aftermarket may not). I considered both and decided to go with PSS10s, rear adjustable upper control arms (dog bones), rear adjustable toe links, thicker adjustable sway bars, and drop links. (I also installed the X73 engine mounts and 997 tranny mount). The costs of parts, installation, corner balancing, alignment, and dialing in the suspension is considerably more than the putting in the X73 package. The other down side is the aftermarket parts make a little more noise than the factory alternatives.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
kato1453 has a spectacular aura aboutkato1453 has a spectacular aura about
I'm also trying to make the decision of X73 vs. PSS9. Not ready to pull the trigger due to Christmas and all. I too would like to know if the X73 is going to be available into the future. I plan on spirited street driving vs. tracking the majority of the time and the X73 sounds like what would be best.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
sanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud of
The X73 is probably going to be around for a long time. After all, you can still get the M030 suspension set for the 993 and they had much smaller production numbers than the 996. They probably order up just so many of them for inventory and don't re-order until the stock gets low.

I wonder if the 997 tranny mount really makes any difference over a low mileage 996 stocker version and if I should wait until it has a little more wear and tear on it?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnselli
Can anyone provide any pics of their car with the X73 suspension? I'd like to see what the drop looks like compared to the Pss9/10
Found some pics of the x73 on this page:
http://www.midweek.com/content/colum...e_996_turbo_s/

Anyone else have any other photos?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Wolk's Wagon is infamous around these partsWolk's Wagon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnselli
Name:  040.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  256.7 KB
X73

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  198.5 KB
PSS10's, they are adjustable so not sure what you are expecting as far as stance goes.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I've had X73 on my Turbo for over six years...love it. Is it stiff? Yes. Is the car phenomenally planted, and does it handle like it is on rails? Yes.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I've had X73 on my Turbo for over six years...love it. Is it stiff? Yes. Is the car phenomenally planted, and does it handle like it is on rails? Yes.
What kind of driving do/have you done in the 6 years?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
What kind of driving do/have you done in the 6 years?
I don't track my Turbo.

I don't live far from the great mountain roads of north Georgia, western North Carolina, and eastern Tennessee, so that's where the car gets its workout in terms of cornering.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM
X73

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X73 Porsche Factory Suspension