996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why is it only Ruf that use titanium rods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Ruf 550 is infamous around these parts
[quote=Craig] I have not heard of the stock rods bending on any EVOMS 700 cars. I suspect EVOMS would change the rods if any of their 700 cars experienced problems with the OEM rods.

Just like AdamT said could happend, dident DMK had EVOMS 700 and we all heard what happend to him...

Last edited by Ruf 550; 03-07-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:11 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ruf 550
Originally Posted by Craig
I have not heard of the stock rods bending on any EVOMS 700 cars. I suspect EVOMS would change the rods if any of their 700 cars experienced problems with the OEM rods.
Just like AdamT said could happend, dident DMK had EVOMS 700 and we all heard what happend to him...
Lol! Yes, DMK did ventilate his motor. However, his car was NOT a 700 fwhp car. He was running considerably more boost than a standard GT700, and he was putting down 680 - 700 rwhp (e.g., close to 800 fwhp). DMK knew the risks involved in his custom set-up and he stated several times that he knew he would eventually blow something. There are additional factors involved in DMK's car, and the way it was driven, that were likely the primary cause of his blown engine. Consequently, I do not think DMK's experience evidences an inherent problem with using stock rods on a 700 fwhp car.

Craig

Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
We do not use Ti rods for the simple fact while it may be strong it also has a useful life. Meaning that the motors Porsche builds using Ti rods get torn down and replaced every 80 hours. They stretch, plain and simple. They are not near as heavy as say the Pauder and Carrillo but the they also have this time line. Standard steel do not and often are a load and forget part. We know it works without a time limit.
i don't have a monster (i.e., 800HP+ motor,) though if i were ever to go in that direction, I would be more comfortable with good old fashioned uber strong forged steel rods, over Ti.

Having said that... does the stock GT3 motor really have Ti rods? If so, how does Porsche justify fitting Ti components to a stock motor? I wouldn't be too happy if i had to bring my GT3 in to the dealer every few months for a tear down

Pardon my ignorance about this sort of thing, but now am confused!!!