996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why is it only Ruf that use titanium rods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Ruf 550 is infamous around these parts
Why is it only Ruf that use titanium rods...

Hi guys
Does anybody know why it is only Ruf that use titanium rods, stock rods doesnt hold for Ruf 590. I dont understand how Evo 700 with 110hp more can use stock rods and ruf say they dont hold...

Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ruf 550
Hi guys
Does anybody know why it is only Ruf that use titanium rods, stock rods doesnt hold for Ruf 590. I dont understand how Evo 700 with 110hp more can use stock rods and ruf say they dont hold...
I have never heard Ruf state that stock rods will not hold 590 hp. Porsche uses the stock rods on the 470 hp GT2. I would be very surprised if the stock rods could not hold an additional 120 hp.

Stock rods would probably hold with a Ruf 590, but Ruf elects to be overly cautious and replace the OEM rods for additional security. Nothing wrong with that, although it comes at a considerable cost. I have not heard of the stock rods bending on any EVOMS 700 cars. I suspect EVOMS would change the rods if any of their 700 cars experienced problems with the OEM rods.

The more interesting question is why Ruf uses titanium rods, whereas other tuners use stronger alloy rods on their higher hp cars. I am informed that forged steel rods offered by Carrillo, Pauter and Arrow, among others, are considerably stronger than titanium rods. Yes, titanium rods are lighter, but will they withstand the forces created by some of the higher hp cars. Titanium rods are obviously strong enough for the Ruf 590 and the RT12 (I assume it also uses titanium rods), but would titanium hold up to an 800 or 900 hp car, such as those owned by Markski and Joe W., among others? I do not know the answer to this question.

Craig

Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 AM
I spoke to Ruf dealer and he told me that, if I am going to update to 590 I need titanium rods etc. I never heard anybody else use titaninum rods too.

Thanks for answer Craig

Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Banned
Lounge Lizard is infamous around these parts
Doesn't the GT3 use titanium rods as standard? I'm sure it does. If so, does the 997 turbo and upcoming GT2 use titanium? It seems pretty expensive to be just part of a weight saving program, so I'm guessing it's more to do with the higher rev limit of the GT3.

Is the rev limit of RUF vehicles set much higher than OEM?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 AM
My Ruf 550 rev limit is 7000rpm and I think OEM is 6750rpm...

Last edited by Ruf 550; 03-06-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:08 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
I believe its from the fact that RUF love over engineering their engines. Plus when they were testing in Germany they were really testing the engine. i.e sustained 200mph runs. Under those conditions the stock rods were known to bend.

I dont think that kind of thing is very common in the usa, so EVOMS should have nothing to worry about....

best
adam

Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have twice the power of a RUF 550 and I do not have Titanium rods.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
We do not use Ti rods for the simple fact while it may be strong it also has a useful life. Meaning that the motors Porsche builds using Ti rods get torn down and replaced every 80 hours. They stretch, plain and simple. They are not near as heavy as say the Pauder and Carrillo but the they also have this time line. Standard steel do not and often are a load and forget part. We know it works without a time limit.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:29 AM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
We do not use Ti rods for the simple fact while it may be strong it also has a useful life. Meaning that the motors Porsche builds using Ti rods get torn down and replaced every 80 hours. They stretch, plain and simple. They are not near as heavy as say the Pauder and Carrillo but the they also have this time line. Standard steel do not and often are a load and forget part. We know it works without a time limit.
he is right, the only benefit over steel is weight as they have an 80 hr life span, due to the nature of the metal (read...stretching), with less than 450hp, so i am confident it is even less with 600-800hp! and www.ultimatemotorwerks.com can get the Ti rods, just not a wise investment for a high hp street car, imho.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen is spot on! (as usual, lol)

I worked with Ti Valves on high revin' Motocross Bikes and I can assure you these stretch. We were always having to re-shim due to this!

Pain in the ***!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
For the GT700 you have the option of doing the Carillo rods which I did. Above that power level it is pretty much mandatory to do the internals.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Just to be a little bit of an instigator...
I find it interesting that several tuners have "rushed" their 997TT mods to the market. Where is the Ruf 997TT option? Do they have less manpower? Less experience? Less $$? Why are they last to this party?
Makes me wonder if there is a huge difference in the extent of testing performed by Ruf versus the others. Maybe they have some pretty good reasons for taking a different path than evo etc.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
instigate away! I won't bite though. Business is business. Being first
is good for business. No one misses the point that showing up with
a fragile product is death for one's reputation...

Here's another cheap instigation: RUF is waiting till the more
agile competitors come out with something he can copy. ;P

Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
GT3s have and continue to use Ti rods, so it's not that they only have an 80hr shelf life.

Ruf choose to use Ti rods since theirs are stronger than stock for circa 600bhp or more and also light to add to engine response, thats my understanding. It's also the case that Ruf like using exotic materials if they think it's the ultimate, like the headers which are Inconnel, thats the sort of stuff that Ruf customers like!

I have however owned some serious Skyline GTRs (700-1000bhp) and trust me none of these used Ti rods, all use forged steel. If you are going for big power on any car, then strong hefty forged aftermarket rods are what is required.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
I do not know Porsche engines but I have a couple Chevy 653CI big blocks and we have considered Ti pushrodes and valves in order to lighten the valvetrain that tends to float (read not fully close) at higher RPM.

We went with Ti valves but not rods. My engine guy was leary of Ti on such long pushrodes... Thus we stayed with a steel alloy on the rods.

The object was to lighten up the valvetrain again allowing better efficency at higher rpm. We are maxed on spring pressure the engines being supercharched. Note that those engines do not last much above 200 hours.

Ruf might want the same efficency (lighter valvetrain) at higher rev, under boost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is it only Ruf that use titanium rods...