996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best air intake for 996TT???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
ari, curious at to what exactly is the fix?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 PM
doccao is infamous around these parts
"the best" airbox is the one the works - STOCK Box. But if you absolutely got the mod bug, then EVO.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kevin
As Wross has mentioned this is the "Best Airbox"..

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=309284

And functional
That's what I've heard too, but it's alot of $$ right?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:22 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Schnitzer
Do you agree all that original airbox with BMC or K&N is the best and safe solution?

I need more feedback guys!!!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards.
yes dont mess with anything else the benefit is not worth the risk of an MAF going.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
ramone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ari
EVO is shipping all new Vflows with the "fix". It should no longer be an issue.
I don't see anything about it on their website....

Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My understanding is that it incorporates an alumnim "donut" for the lack of a better term and allows for trasferring the factory "waffle" into the Vflow.

I believe this helps the unit better "comb" the airflow and avoids the spikes or turbulence that happens when the waffle is not in there.

Makes sense as various other cars I have owned did not run correctly when the waffle is removed (IE DSM GST and GSX cars).

Originally Posted by oak
ari, curious at to what exactly is the fix?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I have the V-Flow on my Protomotive tuned engine with 0 MAF issue's.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
There were maf issues with very early e46 M3 replacement air intakes also, the "fix" was a little "baffle" made of aluminium in the inlet side in front of the maf, worked perfect. Cars would stumble and stall without the baffle,mostly when stopping quickley.
I made a billet air intake for my friends XKR, with a little baffle to mimic the M3, he has had no issues with it.

Has anyone just cut a second hole in the stock box and fabed up a second air scoop duct?? It looks pretty easy to do and I was thinking of giving it a shot.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Best air intake:

Best air box:

Old 03-09-2007, 02:23 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by F**K

I think there is a carbon fiber duct that you have to modify to the underside of the engine lid to direct the air into the new hole on the air box... Looks nice. I wonder how much HP it makes and if it has any effect on the MAF...

Old 03-09-2007, 03:59 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Yes, there is a carbon fiber duct that goes on the lid (and requires cutting the bracket). No MAF issues. I'm not sure of the HP yet.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:49 AM
ramone is infamous around these parts
How do we know that this is the best Air intake if we don't know the HP/TQ numbers

Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Any pics of this "donut"? I wonder if they are selling this separately to the guys who already have them. If this works I think I might be up for one. I know the V-Flow works and makes power but Im not down with buying MAFs

Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
So whats the verdict?

Is it best to keep the stock box with the stock filter

or

Is it best to keep the stock box with either a K&N filer or a BMC filter?

(any websites on where to buy this BMC filter) Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I will give you my opinion:
stock airbox with K&N or BMC air filter until you do a 600 HP Plus kit.
There is nothing magic about the 600 #, but I think that with the "stage
1 or stage 2 type set-ups that adding something other than the stock
airbox is kind of like when we used to flip our chrome air cleaner covers
upside down to let in more air (and let OUT more Sound) on our 60's
muscle cars, it sounded faster!

MK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best air intake for 996TT???