996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those damn rods! but wait what about the crank?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
No, I have used these for years in sprint cars,winston west motors as well as really high rpm drag engines, the oil system provides more than enough presure/volume at lower rpm to stand the .0005-.001 out of round condition. At high rpm the bearing is now round, with the proper .0025-.003 clearance all the way around (this clearance is a number left up to the engine builder, I am just giving a example) Years ago we used to "egg" shape the rod bores to give a little more clearance at the parting lines,this kind of did the same thing.

But IMHO if you are building a true 10,000 rpm motor it is not going to last forever anyway, so better to change bearings and be safe.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DERBOOST

But IMHO if you are building a true 10,000 rpm motor it is not going to last forever anyway, so better to change bearings and be safe.
Yes, 100%, the thing that bugs me is this, once you open the engine why not do it RIGHT? Done! I would prefer to leave the bolt on stuff for a later date if money is an issue & build a solid motor! Later just add the finishing touches. Look! for most of us money doesn't grow on trees, you just have to do the important stuff first. I've learned this the hard way, DO IT RIGHT ONCE! you save so much in the long run.......tom

Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by topgun
Yes, 100%, the thing that bugs me is this, once you open the engine why not do it RIGHT?
well I can only speak for my own experience of owning a race engine shop, but its one reason, Budget. ie, I know a new dry sump system is better, but it's oh, $7500.00 or so. Now the car owner wants new heads to give him another 20 hp. I really think he needs a new dry sump, but he wants the mods for power first.....ahhhh.... now I'm in it, the old oil system works OK and he wants the power......do I turn down the job??? Well I would, but he probably will then just go down the street and get his new heads anyway. So its always a tradeoff. Look at when nitrous first came out, TONS of engine failure, fault of the nos kit? Nope, just slap it on your stock engine and woopee !!! +200 horse, well till it goes "boom".
It always was a great pleasure to build and tune a motor for a guy who really was willing to push the limit and also to accept the result of putting a motor that close to the edge and not ***** when she came apart. I always said its at its limit when it crosses the finish line with a new class record and spits the rods out at the same time... (well at least in running top alcohol)

Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DERBOOST
well I can only speak for my own experience of owning a race engine shop, but its one reason, Budget. ie, I know a new dry sump system is better, but it's oh, $7500.00 or so. Now the car owner wants new heads to give him another 20 hp. I really think he needs a new dry sump, but he wants the mods for power first.....ahhhh.... now I'm in it, the old oil system works OK and he wants the power......do I turn down the job??? Well I would, but he probably will then just go down the street and get his new heads anyway. So its always a tradeoff. Look at when nitrous first came out, TONS of engine failure, fault of the nos kit? Nope, just slap it on your stock engine and woopee !!! +200 horse, well till it goes "boom".
It always was a great pleasure to build and tune a motor for a guy who really was willing to push the limit and also to accept the result of putting a motor that close to the edge and not ***** when she came apart. I always said its at its limit when it crosses the finish line with a new class record and spits the rods out at the same time... (well at least in running top alcohol)
I get you! @ least you as the builder give them a choice & warn them! Then theres nobody to blame but themselves! look these are not cheap motors, your looking @ 25k for a motor , plus-plus & its stock....tom

Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
CJV,
you amaze me!
Is your motor at Protomotive now or just parts of it?

New York Joe,

Are you going to have a homecoming party for you turbo ? I would suggest
streamers and the whole works. It has been a long time coming, now get out on the local freeway and pull some people!! We want stories!

Marty K.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 AM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by topgun
With all the discusion about the engines being blown lately, did anybody consider the crank as the culprit? We all know the rods are a weak link, but the crank may be at fault! NO? I mean if the crank fails to flow the right amount of oil for cooling & lubrication, then there go's the bearing, then the rods. The damage could be mounting & mounting, you wont know until boom! . I played it safe & went with a GT3RS bad boy.......tom
Isn't it the oil pumps job to flow oil?

In my experience... if you have a bad bearing, you know it. I've lost two engines to bad bearings and both made horrendous noises once the bearing was out. What I'm trying to say is, you should know you have problems long before 'boom' occurs.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
Isn't it the oil pumps job to flow oil?

In my experience... if you have a bad bearing, you know it. I've lost two engines to bad bearings and both made horrendous noises once the bearing was out. What I'm trying to say is, you should know you have problems long before 'boom' occurs.
It's a combo of both! Example if you have a high fow fuel pump, you need bigger lines to flow properly. same concept! I lost two engines to bearings & they both went at cruising. That means the damage was done before hand. You were lucky you heared the bearing before the knocking started it's not a good feeling . Again who is the culprit? ...tom

Old 03-09-2007, 11:36 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I have One question??

Is VR Alex's Crank a stock factory crank??
If it is then it has been VERY WELL tested (the way Alex drives his car).

MK

Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
I have One question??

Is VR Alex's Crank a stock factory crank??
If it is then it has been VERY WELL tested (the way Alex drives his car).

MK
Yep. Stock cams and stock crank. Todd already told me that the 996TT does not need a new crank. The stock one is perfectly fine.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Yep. Stock cams and stock crank. Todd already told me that the 996TT does not need a new crank. The stock one is perfectly fine.
Scott, I have heard the same thing from several people in the know.I just heard that you want to keep it below 7500 rpms to be safe,but i guess Alex's car would prove that theory wrong!Remember guys you can break anything if you don't know what your doing.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

New York Joe,

Are you going to have a homecoming party for you turbo ? I would suggest
streamers and the whole works. It has been a long time coming, now get out on the local freeway and pull some people!! We want stories!

Marty K.
Homecoming?No,not my style,I am a little more low key than that.Now the local freeway is more my style,but the competition around here has gotten much quicker.Gonna have to invest in the big gun,if you know what I mean.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
Better hurry up,I might be cruising L.I. in a TT viper w/1400rwhp by then! I hope to see it soon.

Joe

Have you find a TT snake a yet. Or are you going to build one soon??

Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Joe

Have you find a TT snake a yet. Or are you going to build one soon??
Hey Vince,check out my garage thread in the garages section.I'm working on it.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
Hey Vince,check out my garage thread in the garages section.I'm working on it.
Wow what a garage. You're more nuts than I thought. Perfect ...
And the blue sapphire ACR w/ TT is going to be quite a sleeprrrrrrr.
Go w/ Heffner!!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
Now here is the crank for strength to 10,000+ rpm's. The journals have been reconfigured to 2.0" to fit NASCAR Oval bearings.

And the rods.

Hey those look familiar! I need to go see Armando soon to pick up a few I dropped off there a while ago

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those damn rods! but wait what about the crank?