996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those damn rods! but wait what about the crank?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:26 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Those damn rods! but wait what about the crank?

With all the discusion about the engines being blown lately, did anybody consider the crank as the culprit? We all know the rods are a weak link, but the crank may be at fault! NO? I mean if the crank fails to flow the right amount of oil for cooling & lubrication, then there go's the bearing, then the rods. The damage could be mounting & mounting, you wont know until boom! . I played it safe & went with a GT3RS bad boy.......tom

Last edited by topgun; 03-07-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
i wish I had one installed

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
i wish I had one installed

Mark, was there work done on your stock crank!? if not why ...tom

Last edited by topgun; 03-07-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
Mark, was there work done on your stock crank!? if not why ...tom
At the time of the build out so many things changed on the project.. for example we had 2 heads.... 2 pistons,etc... choices and more choices...
The crank would set me back another $3 to 4 K... and I rather put that money onto the head with cams...
I should be good for a while... my weak link is the crank if any. But how often do we really stay in it for 15 minutes nonstop at 8K rpms...

mark

click to view

Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I understand,but you could of done work to the stock crank for pennies once the engine was apart! Epecially for those RPM peaks! It's just an added security measure. IMHO....tom

Last edited by topgun; 03-07-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
I told KPG Im jealous LOL

click to view

Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I told KPG Im jealous LOL
Hehehehe, Mark man I dont want you to think this was directed @ u , you went way & beyond what everybody else does . I was just curious as to why everbody blame the rods? If you bend a rod it's one thing, but to put one put one threw the heads or bottom end , things that make you go Hmmmmm.....tom

Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
I am sure Proto built you a strong motor and you have no worries the way you use the car.You can break anything if you try hard enough or are foolish.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by joetwint
I am sure Proto built you a strong motor and you have no worries the way you use the car.You can break anything if you try hard enough or are foolish.
Joe, are you building the bottom end? We NEED to get together when they are both complete, that would be nice ...tom

Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by joetwint
We are OK til 8K I believe. Im not worried and if it arises it gives me another reason to upgrade LOL

click to view

Old 03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Joe, are you building the bottom end? We NEED to get together when they are both complete, that would be nice ...tom
My motor is fully built.Evoms wouldn't let me run that kind of power without it.Transporter is scheduled to pick it up 3/16!Sounds like fun!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Congrats, would love to see it! Good luck! Did you do the crank?LOL...tom

Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Just to put in perspective the detail work going in to our setup, we are having Porsche Motorsport rod bearings custom clearanced to each specific rod journal. Each individual bearing will be set to its own journal. Rod bolts will be prestressed as well. The crank bearings will have machined grooves in them to increase oil flow as well... The case will have oil gallery work to increase the oil flow to the crank bearings....If I have learned only one thing from Kevin, it is that the details are what separates the good from the great....kevin

Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Just to put in perspective the detail work going in to our setup, we are having Porsche Motorsport rod bearings custom clearanced to each specific rod journal. Each individual bearing will be set to its own journal. Rod bolts will be prestressed as well. The crank bearings will have machined grooves in them to increase oil flow as well... The case will have oil gallery work to increase the oil flow to the crank bearings....If I have learned only one thing from Kevin, it is that the details are what separates the good from the great....kevin
Show off! remember I have yellow brakes ...tom

Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Show off! remember I have yellow brakes ...tom
Good work guys,when do you think they will be done?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those damn rods! but wait what about the crank?