996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Color-key Turbo rims to body?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:32 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Color-key Turbo rims to body?

Has anyone done this? My car is back in the shop for warranty repair (rads again) plus some vandal damage repair, front lip spoiler refinishing, and possibly to re-do the wheels. Last time they had it in, they f'ed up the wheels and now they look like hell. Since I have another refinish coming, I was wondering what it would look like in Basalt Black. Anyone with any photoshop skills - I have none - is more than welcome to have a shot at it.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Painting the stock wheels should look real nice!
That's what I did this winter with the stock wheels, painted them black with a silver lip. The car has now other wheels on so I don't have any pics but you get the idea with this C4S:

Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Hey, thanks - that looks pretty good.

What part did you leave silver? There's no lip really - I'd think this would be difficult to have turn out correctly?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Might look great, but if they f'ed 'em up last time, why would you want them touching your car again?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Lol, good question!

The people/firm they used to have refinish wheels have been replaced. They've assured me that they will be done correctly this time.

For what it's worth I believe them. I refused to pay for the refinishing last time (they weren't awful, but definitely a shoddy job), and will refuse again if they're not perfect.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Hey, thanks - that looks pretty good.

What part did you leave silver? There's no lip really - I'd think this would be difficult to have turn out correctly?
Yes that's true, there's no lip...but it's no problem for a paint shop.

It was more difficult for me to choose whether to paint them all black or leave a silver "lip"...
The wheels are for track use...

Old 03-11-2007, 02:21 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Track use all black. I looked at a white car with white rims and it really looked nice BTW, and you would not think it would have looked good in the white.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:45 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Mine has body colored rims (factory option i believe?) - seal grey, and it looks great.
(although if i go HRE ill probably go black centers and polished lips...but on the stock ones it looks nice)

Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
jimq is infamous around these parts
do they polish the lip or paint it silver?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:07 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jimq
do they polish the lip or paint it silver?
painted on mine.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
Mine are painted from the factory (Slate Gray Metallic). I think it looks awesome. You can see them barely in the avatar. If you'd like something larger just email me and I'll send you bigger pics.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 PM
kfitz911 has a spectacular aura aboutkfitz911 has a spectacular aura about
I am thinking of doing the same thing with some stock wheels, but want a standard set for back-up in case I don't like the look or want to switch back and forth sometimes. Looks great either all one color or with the silver edge, in my humble opinion.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 AM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
There is a factory option and it looks very sleek to me. Here is another example in Slate seen in Germany at the Ring:

I remember however posts saying that painting wheels is likely to result in the paint eventually peeling off, while sandblasting is more durable.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by ze_shark
I remember however posts saying that painting wheels is likely to result in the paint eventually peeling off, while sandblasting is more durable.
that is true. Both my front wheels need to be repainted. powdercoating is more durable, but generally not an exact match to body color.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Ok, so what's the verdict?

Here are the first few shots taken today. I think it looks MEAN. Completely changed the look of the car. I LIKE IT!

Now if I could just get a sunny day here...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Color-key Turbo rims to body?