996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Minor Speeding Ticket Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:11 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Just get an attorney that specializes in speeding tickets. I have a good firm I go through and its only $200 each time, if he doesnt win he doesnt get paid.
give me the number, which firm? i may use ur firm, but getting off work is so much fun =P hahahah it's like, day off to drive your porsche around without going to work.. haha

Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
give me the number, which firm? i may use ur firm, but getting off work is so much fun =P hahahah it's like, day off to drive your porsche around without going to work.. haha
If your license is a NY license the worst you'll get is 2 points, which doesn't do anything to your insurance, atleast most insurance companies allow for 4 points until they change the rates. It really all depends on if you want to prove the cop wrong (expensive) or if you want to just get a no pointer ($420-$440 Unsafe Driving), or if you want to just pay it (~$125) I think.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Origyns 973
If your license is a NY license the worst you'll get is 2 points, which doesn't do anything to your insurance, atleast most insurance companies allow for 4 points until they change the rates. It really all depends on if you want to prove the cop wrong (expensive) or if you want to just get a no pointer ($420-$440 Unsafe Driving), or if you want to just pay it (~$125) I think.
yah, i have a ny license.. woah, it's 400ish for no points in nj... ha, let me go to court and have some fun maybe i'll get another ticket going there.. hahah..

thanks for the advice!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
So in my experience, it is always a good idea to contest. Not that I have a speeding problem, but in the past couple times I went to court for traffic violations, I have seen about a 1/3 of the people get off becuase the officer wasn't present. Worst case scenario, if the officer shows, then you have a chance to ask the judge if traffic school is an option for you. You can tell him you wern't sure if it was an option for you so that is why you are at court that day.

Regarding going downhill, the last time I was at court, I saw a truck driver get off his speeding ticket (actually he plea bargained to a lesser offense) by saying he was actually not in gear driving down hill. He said he was in neutral and he was coasting. The officer could not testify yes or no on this fact (how can he possibly know?) so the judge allowed the defendant to plead guilty of "Coasting down hill" which is not a point violation and just a fine here in California. Good Luck.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:03 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
BTW, I see you have a V1...Did it not work?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by ezmoney888
BTW, I see you have a V1...Did it not work?
i was driving another car that day.. the V1 is still in my broken porsche which is in the body shop..

coasting downhill.. hm... interesting more and more ideas on what to say in court!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
Have you been to traffic school yet ? Usually for a offense, you can go to traffic school/internet traffic school once every time period (in California it's every 18 months). If you are even 1 mph over the speed limit, they can write you up. So even you say you were "only" going 65 mph, you will still get dinged in court.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fanman
Have you been to traffic school yet ? Usually for a offense, you can go to traffic school/internet traffic school once every time period (in California it's every 18 months). If you are even 1 mph over the speed limit, they can write you up. So even you say you were "only" going 65 mph, you will still get dinged in court.
I wish NJ was like that but its not, the only way to get no points is to A. prove the cop did something wrong which they'll make sure of is near impossible, or B. plead to an "Unsafe Driving" ticket which carries a nice fine of $430 or so dollars.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
I'm not sure where you live, but the latest I hear is that in the USA, that if you pay the ticket with an additional $1.00 they will refund the dollar and when you get the check, do not cash it. Burn the check and the account will never be reconciled and the points will never be reported to your insurance company.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschedude996T
I'm not sure where you live, but the latest I hear is that in the USA, that if you pay the ticket with an additional $1.00 they will refund the dollar and when you get the check, do not cash it. Burn the check and the account will never be reconciled and the points will never be reported to your insurance company.
This isn't true.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
whorespower is infamous around these parts
Ticket Clinic

See if there are any in the yellow pages. Works for me everytime.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned
Oh and by the way, if you were to find anything wrong with the ticket, for example the time it says the infraction occured, it doesn't matter, atleast in NJ.

I got a ticket in Eddie's Porsche for me going through a yellow that barely turned red, and got nailed with a failure to observe traffic signal ticket, it took place 8:35 or so, and the cop wrote 9pm. They said it doesn't matter. Sucks. Hate this state.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 AM
great... man... we'll, since ur the expert.. we'll fiind out soon enough! court dating coming up...

Old 03-15-2007, 12:59 AM
i think i'll just plead the higher fine

Old 03-15-2007, 01:44 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
It varies dramatically with each state- In florida it is a cottage industry for flack lawyers. Fax the ticket, pay $125 and get a dismissal.

California is pretty tough. Good book in CA is "how to beat your speeding ticket" by Nolo Press...any Borders books will have it.

If you DIY you will likely get creamed unless you prepare. Tips here in the thread are fine, but if you are going to fight, at least make it a good fight.

If the only option is fight or pay, then fight always. Some states (CA) extort a guilty plea by only allowing traffic school if you don't fight (Note: not all courts do this.. check with the court clerk some will allow 'automatic traffic schiool even after you loose.) Tougher call to decide to fight. They do this precisely to prevent people from requiring the state to prove guilt...

Points and insurnace is almost always worth the $200-500 for an atty. Sure THIS one is only 20 over, but what if the next one is 100+.. I'd rather have a clean record. Sometimes an atty can plead it just because the state thinks they'll have a fight on their hands.

Good luck

(Hey, I had a speeding ticket in jersey 25 years ago that I never paid... should I be worried? )

A

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Minor Speeding Ticket Advice