996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Finally did Big Willow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Finally did Big Willow

I finally did it. Big Willow. It was at once thrilling, scary, humbling and fun. That is a FAST track. I was hitting very close to 140 MPH on the front straight. Thank goodness for PSM. I would never attempt driving that hard in the corners in a GT2.

Todd (Teutonictrio), the guy that won the LA/Vegas rally was there and gave me and my wife several ride alongs in his boxster and really helpful pointers/lessons in the Turbo. He is a skilled madman. Let's just say he was passing almost everyone that had a stockish car without sweating one bit. Just robotic. Thanks a ton bud! We need to hang out more often!

I was running 1.1 BAR today. I only have war stories for the rolling "drag races" on the front straight going 80?-about 130+. Pulled an M6 and a new Z06 pretty good.

Then a guy with a 997TT ended up right on my a** for most of the track and on the front straight. It was pretty dead even in the drag race. That 997 was FAST. The guy later told me he had a GIAC flash only which makes it pretty fast indeed. I assume he was running 1.2 BAR VS my 1.1 with exhaust and intake. He was fast enough that I lost concentration and overshot a tight turn a little further down the track.

I also spoke with the M6 driver (who was pretty damn fast).

This was my first track event ever in the TT. There is no question that these cars can be rewarding, but they do require a diffrent driving technique (at least the rear engine cars do) and lots of skill. Regardless of anything you read about Porsche exorcisng the oversteer, the car will still remind you of the ballast that sits behind the rear wheels. Let's say there is generous throttle off tuck-in ++

I'm not a track fiend, but if you have the inclination, and want to see some VERY cool cars being driven to their limit (all the way from exotics, BMWs, Porsches, Evos, full race, vintage, etc...) and hang out and talk to some very like minded people, I really recommend this. It was great fun!

Hopefully we'll see some of those guys here soon!

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 03-16-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned
Eric523 is infamous around these parts
Glad you had a good time. That place is a lot of fun. What group did you go out with?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Yellow group. I felt like the car could use a little more the 43 PSI hot that I was running in the rear, especially when the tires started to feel greasy as they got heated up. Any suggestions? maybe that's just the increased yaw inherent in these things.

I definitely felt like I was pushing too hard at times in the wrong places. I'm realizing (like teutonictrio told me) that concentrating on the basics and correct line is really the right way to faster times. I just couldn't resist keying off the traction control and hanging it big time wide going up the banked hill a couple of times.

Did I say I LOVE this car? It really is the superman of the car industry. Any notion of lag is non existent on the track. Just ridiculous power NOW.

Interestingly, over a dozen people approached me inquiring about my Remus exhaust. The sound was drawing them in like the pied piper.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 03-16-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:39 AM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Nice, that track is lots of fun. I remember breaking 140 over there with my previous setup M3.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Glad you enjoyed it Ari. Track days are addictive.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:38 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Congrats the track is so much fun! Were you running track tires or street tires? That will make a huge difference in your times and feel. MPSC's are great!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Great post Ari! Glad to hear you had fun. Cheers!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Now you see what I see in this car!!! The track is where to be!!!
rear tires pressures need to be 38-40 hot.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:57 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Looks like you had fun! Count me in on the next one...

Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Buddy: I was running near new PS2s on stock rims. Amazing how the tires literally can turn to tar.

Tom: Thanks for tip. I'll try a slightly lower pressure in the rear next time. But won't less pressure in the rear increase sidewall flex and oversteer? Agreed that this car is truly at home on the track.

TKD: Totally. Hopefully Teutonictrio can make it. He was a great help and positive proof that a driver upgrade is all you really need on the track.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 03-16-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:55 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Who was the organizer, if you don't mind sharing ? Recommended ?
By Big Willow, do you mean the 2.5mi road course or Streets of Willow ?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 AM
http://www.opentrackracing.com/

This was the big track AKA The 2.5 mile road course. http://www.opentrackracing.com/otrwillowsprings.html

There was a 550 or 575 there that day. Not sure which one.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Vincent997 is infamous around these parts
the 997 TT guy

Hi Ari,

I had a lot of fun for my 1st time at the track. I'm also kind of glad it was at big willow since I took my 997TT and it might have been to hard on the streets of Willow for the 1st time.
I'll definitely be back for the May 9th event with OTR.
Sorry about making you loose your concentration Ari.
I actually hit 149mph in the straight with hard hard hard braking to attack the curve. I had Jack Olson drive my car for 3 or 4 laps on my second session and he then sat with me for the remaining time giving me pointers and the perfect line (according to him). I'd have to say it was so useful and can't thank him enough for it.
Hope to see you all there on the May 9th.
Ari, let me know if there are any other track events I should consider before then.

Vincent

Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 AM
It's all good Vincent. It was all in fun. 149! Wow I barely broke 140 when trying real hard.

Great to see you joined this group of madpeoples. You will like it here. I will IM you my e-mail address. I will try and make it on May 9 (hopefully it won't be any hotter). I would love to try and make a streets of willow event. Buttonwilllow is also a pretty fun track. Been to both in my M3. Let me know if you find any run groups we can join and I will do the same.

Do you have any interest in drag racing? I've been looking for someone to join me at LACR.

Anyone know if there would be any track benefit for a beginer to reconnect AWD? Tom Kerr?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Vincent997 is infamous around these parts
What kind of drag racing?

Don't know much about drag racing but am willing to investigate. Can U tell me more.
Vincent

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally did Big Willow