996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Update: Protomotive GT2 now at 715rwhp and 698rwtq

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:01 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
70hp difference in a span of a couple of days is a very large deviation...was the same fuel and boost levels being used? Kevin
It could also be the way the car was dynoed.If there was insufficient airflow or improperly set up fans(which I heard on another forum about this event last year)and they heat soaked the motor the car will dyno much lower.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Damn that dyno'd alot lower, but so many different factors as well. Dyno, cooling, temps and weather condition, its endless!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Everything was set just like it should two jet blowers under the intercoolers. The car had been sitting for hours. Jaime got to set it up just like he wanted (I think). It made one pull and then he pulled it off. Car looks gorgeous though! Make me wish the silver one I originally picked up wasn't a wrecked car

The meet was very good but to bad everyone wanted to wait till 12 or 1 and then drive another hour away from our house. We packed up and headed home (3 reasons, Brother had a major headache and I wasnt going to attempt to drive his car, he was on ET-Streets and Front runners (2hrs of driving.. **** that), and honestly there are to many idiots out tonight).. Not worth even wasting the gas when you can't get a clear spot in the road because 2 13sec Mustangs are going at it... Going to the track on Sunday to hopefully get our 9 second slip out of the Vette. For those wondering it was the dirty black Vette on CCW's (it had been in the shop and didn't have time to wash it). My 911 was 2 cars down from it.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Everything was set just like it should two jet blowers under the intercoolers.
Which direction were the blowers aiming at the intercoolers?

Were they blowing into the inlet side (towards the rear of the car)...or were they blowing into the outlet side? This is very important to know.

I wish he would have dyno'd it one more time. Some of the guys at the Supra meet made 100 more rwhp on their 2nd run than they did on thier 1st. HoustonT even went from 930 on the 1st run to 1,005 on the 2nd.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-18-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Was everyone using the same fuel? If so what?
Were any other Porsches dynoed?
Did someone say what kind of Dyno it was and were there any other
comps to tell us if on this particular day other cars dynoed higher or lower
than they have in the past? This is why many of us hate dynos.

MK

Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
What's up Sean! Sounds like you are really enjoying your new car! Congrats and most of all be safe One reason why I mostly lurk forums is because sometimes things people say can be misunderstood when only posts are used to convey opinions or feelings. Hopefully you guys will see each other later this weekend and have a cold beer together and laugh. I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding...

Looking for fights now but mostly just trying to train as much as I can. I just did the Abu Dhabi Trials last October and fought a really tough BB from Pedro Sauer's school. Have you been training much lately?

I would love to hear more about your car. Do you have the upgraded intake piping? Hopefully someone from the event is snapping plenty of pics!

Last edited by str8blst; 03-18-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

MK
The fuel really doesn't matter much since each owner was using the fuel required to boost his car where he needed to. That could mean GT104, C16, or anything in between. Fuel doesn't add power, per se, it only allows more boost and timing. I'm sure Jamie was running the octane required to run his car 1.5 BAR..which is what it's tuned for.

His was the only Porsche that was dynoed, AFAIK.

The dyno at RSI is a Dynojet.

As far as comparisons. I doubt any of the cars that were there had the same setups they had last year.

It did seem that doing more than one run could make a huge difference, though. There were a few guys that made over 50 rwhp on their 2nd runs, with some even making 100 more on their second run.

I just hope the dyno operators didn't have the blowers pointing into the outlet side of his intercooler vents (like you would on most Porsche turbos). That would have definitely made him lose power with Todd's intake setup, since it would have been pre-heating filter air.

The 60-130 times will tell the real story.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-18-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Dyno seemed to be consistent with what we made at home. My car made 1090 before we left and made 1001 here with an intercooler pipe popping off. My girlfriend car made 801 previously in Florida and made 796 here in TX (it was a bit cooler in winter so I would say the weather could make that small a difference). With any car making this much power small variables can make big differences, and getting traction on a roller can be quite a task as well (although I must say the VHT and 250-300lb guy sitting in the trunk seemed to help lol.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
So did these two guys run into each other? E-thugging is easy, too easy...but then sometimes you run into each other :lol: Sounds like a fun event. Hopefully there'll be more info, pix and video's to follow.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:17 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Hey everyone,

It was fun reading this thread We're having a great time down here.

Re the dyno, I dyno'd at 1.4 bar, with a mix of c16/104. We had two scroll fans, each facing at a 90 degree angle into the vented lower bumper skin. I personally have never dyno'd this car, so perhaps I did something incorrect? Regardless, at this boost, I was pleased with the results.

A huge thanks goes out to Dr. Joe last night! You're a cool dude My front shifter linkage randomly popped out of the socket and without him, I would not have been able to race last night.

I never ran Peter last night, I'll let him explain why

I ran a t67 700whp Supra last night to 190 and I was the one who let out....he was a nut. I gave him the jump and had about a 1/2 car on him at best through the run. I also ran a well known 9 sec 157mph Titan Supra from a 40 roll (his boost was turned down, to what I'm sure I'll never know and we stayed even until 120 where he pulled 2+ cars to 150ish. Unfortunately, in that run I blew off a boost hose or something in 5th gear. Looks like I may miss the 60-130 shoot-out if I can't figure it out in time. I made over a dozen highway runs last night and the car performed flawlessly....well until that last run

Not sure who caught any of this on video. I don't have a camera mount in the car yet.

Overall, I really love the car. Last night was only the third day I'd ever driven it. As folks have mentioned before, it is so well balanced with near stock manners, and is much more fun/easier to drive than my previous cars. Although in its current form is nowhere near a highway monster, it's a compromise I knew I was making. IMO, owning a Supra and a GT2 gives you the best of both worlds.

Oh and Sean, please stop challenging me to some gay Brazilian fight. Based on the first posts you made a few months ago about buying that wrecked GT2 to your most recent posts, I think my exact words to Paulie during the dyno were "you seem like an idiot online." Aren't you like 44? Grow up dude and don't take everything so seriously.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Hey everyone,

It was fun reading this thread We're having a great time down here.
Glad to hear it, Jamie. I wish I could be there with you. I bet it's a blast!

We had two scroll fans, each facing at a 90 degree angle into the vented lower bumper skin. I personally have never dyno'd this car, so perhaps I did something incorrect?
Ya, that's definitely a problem. With Todd's setup (i.e., intakes located in the intercooler ducts), the fans should be placed in front of the inlets, facing towards the rear of the car. The way the fans were setup for your run is the correct way for other modded P-car setups, but backwards for yours. No biggie.

I ran a t67 700whp Supra last night to 190 and I was the one who let out....he was a nut. I gave him the jump and had about a 1/2 car on him at best through the run. I also ran a well known 9 sec 157mph Titan Supra from a 40 roll (his boost was turned down, to what I'm sure I'll never know and we stayed even until 120 where he pulled 2+ cars to 150ish. Unfortunately, in that run I blew off a boost hose or something in 5th gear. Looks like I may miss the 60-130 shoot-out if I can't figure it out in time. I made over a dozen highway runs last night and the car performed flawlessly....well until that last run
Sorry to hear about the issues, but it sounds you like had a blast and held your own against some pretty big power cars up until then. Hopefully things will be fixed before the 60-130 runs.

IMO, owning a Supra and a GT2 gives you the best of both worlds.
Definitely agree with you there, bro. Stay safe!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-18-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

MK
Marty you are right man, I use to get dissapointed at dyno figures but realized and agreed with the likes of Scott, Kenny and others, numbers and other performance figures you extract out of the car are the true measurement, well driver counts but you understand! He shouldn't sweat it, I just want to see numbers!

Last edited by iLLM3; 03-18-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:48 PM
BTW Jamie get that hose fixed man, is the stupid metal clip not holding on?? I would love to see some 60-130 numbers, these cars are beasts at highway rolls and it was exciting reading your runs with the Supra's.. BTW Scott when I dyno'd my car we also placed the fans toward the rear of the car and was told its the only "proper" way to do it, I guess kind of showed because with 4 runs the HP/Heatsoak deficit was minimal!Jamie goodluck with therest of the event, glad to see everyone is having fun and SAFE and sound Martin

Old 03-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
We had two scroll fans, each facing at a 90 degree angle into the vented lower bumper
thats wrong.... Liek scott says.. we have a custom intake and ur supposed to blow air into the side air scoop...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-18-2007, 04:05 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
thats a lot of power man! congrats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Update: Protomotive GT2 now at 715rwhp and 698rwtq