996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do you 800 plus RWD tt's get traction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:15 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Well I was running MPSC's last year but I like to drive the car even when it is raining and that was quite scary with MPSC's. Obviously when I track the car I use the MPSC's but when the weather warms up with the AWD I don't have too much problem with the Conti street tires on the street. Nothing worse on the track even with a stock tt to be sliding all over the place.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
what are the best turbos for 60 to 130 contest?? these are very popular in texas??

Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
From the list I would say Markski's are the best since he has the fastest confirmed time! Of course he has a very special engine as well!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
lets try to keep it under 10 thousand Buddy please :-)

Old 03-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Buddy, Does the TT actually spin the front tires? I'm under the impression that the viscous system can not continuously transmit the (up tp 40%) torque that Porsche claims.

If you remember the video of some guys doing donuts in the snow, the front tires weren't even fully spinning (in snow). They were spinning in uneven jolts.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Yes starting out in first gear and not even dumping the clutch I get rolling and then mash the throttle, all four wheels spin. Grab second gear and mash the throttle and all four spin again but not as bad as in first gear. This is with PSM off and in 30 degree weather.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I totally believe you. But would love to see a video. Of course I understand if my request is a little ridiculous.

Do they spin continuously?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes they spin all the way through first and then partially second until the tires finally grab. I will have to see if I can get someone to video for me, not real good with that kind of stuff.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Awesome. Maybe the FWD is more effective on the track than I had presumed?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 AM
TwiZteD is infamous around these parts
Racelogic Traction Controll with Launch control ??

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Tra...Launch_Control

Alot of Supra owners and viper owners use them...

Old 03-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Buddyg;
Here is some info about the Nitto tires;

"The NT01 is a D.O.T.-approved competition radial designed with the weekend road racer in mind. The NT01 is optimized for dry racing conditions. The compound was developed to provide the best balance of traction, consistency, heat cycle performance, heat resistance, and longevity. The sidewall construction is optimized for the extreme lateral acceleration found on the track. While the NT01 comes molded at 6/32 of an inch tread depth, it can be shaved down to 3/32 of an inch to reveal a slick with two circumferential grooves. The NT01 delivers fast and consistent lap times to ensure on-track performance and to help you reach your performance goals."

"The NT555RII is a D.O.T.-approved competition radial, designed with the road racer in mind. The NT555RII is designed to help you get the power from your muscle car transferred to the ground quickly and effectively. Steel sidewall inserts* keep the sidewall rigid – even under extreme lateral acceleration. Additional construction modifications were made to improve cornering feedback, controllability and stability to ensure your performance goals are met in the most demanding competition conditions. *Steel reinforced sidewall offered in select sizes."

"The NT555R is a D.O.T.-approved competition drag radial designed for maximum flexibility. You can drive your car to the strip and launch with extreme grip down the track - all without changing your tires. The NT555R features a high grip compound and a large contact patch for dry handling. The specially formulated soft racing compound is molded at 6/32 of an inch to provide improved traction. With grip and control, the NT555R is the perfect performance radial for the street or strip."

Having used the 555R on a 700whp supra last year, it made a huge difference on reducing the wheel spin from the 1st to 4th gear, down to slight 1st gear.

Ari;
A friend of mine tried to drag race his 9ff modified (560-580whp) last year using street tires, resulted in all 4 wheels spining badly for the first 60-70ft. Although he managed an 11.5x ET.

I hope no one tries to use a drag radial tire while racing on a course. I have a feeling that would be catastrophicaly dangerous.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 AM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
I've been thinking the same thing lately, It seems that we have to find the right tire & suspension combo. Just look at the nightmare Marski is going threw with the axles. To much traction+power puts tremendous strain on the driveline, something has to give! I rather have the tires give a little.IMHO

Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
Well I was running MPSC's last year but I like to drive the car even when it is raining and that was quite scary with MPSC's. Obviously when I track the car I use the MPSC's but when the weather warms up with the AWD I don't have too much problem with the Conti street tires on the street. Nothing worse on the track even with a stock tt to be sliding all over the place.
I bought brand-new MPSC's last year, installed them on my car, learned how long they take to warm up on the street (by spinning my tires at over 70 mph on the freeway)...and then sold them 4 days later. I'll never buy those pieces of crap again.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-18-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Q8_TwinTurbo
The NT555R is a D.O.T.-approved competition drag radial designed for maximum flexibility. You can drive your car to the strip and launch with extreme grip down the track - all without changing your tires. The NT555R features a high grip compound and a large contact patch for dry handling. The specially formulated soft racing compound is molded at 6/32 of an inch to provide improved traction. With grip and control, the NT555R is the perfect performance radial for the street or strip.

Having used the 555R on a 700whp supra last year, it made a huge difference on reducing the wheel spin from the 1st to 4th gear, down to slight 1st gear.
I used the 555R's on my Supra. Good tires overall, and they last a long time..but they hook only about 70% as well as the BFG Drag Radials. Most guys that want really good traction, but aren't worried about longevity, go with the BFG's. But the 555R's are definitely a good, all-around tire.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:09 PM
So presuming you wanted to drag race, go to the road course and have good wet weather traction you could be looking at 3 different sets of tires? Yikes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you 800 plus RWD tt's get traction?