996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Day 3: Supra Nats and the 60-130

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Results here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=76983

Few notes and corrections:

1. The winner in the street class is running 650 rwhp.
2. The winner in the drag radial class ran 900 rwhp.
3. The winner in the unlimited class ran 1000-1100 rwhp.

My car (5.1) was at about 840 rwhp or so, I was limited by the 275 tire I was running and only at 30 psi of boost (my max rwhp is at 36 psi). Also, my 5.1 was with 2 shifts. The other very quick street Supra ran a PERFECT run to hit 4.9 seconds. He was on 18 inch drag radials and his car dead hooked 2nd gear at about 900 rwhp and was also with 2 shifts. The key was to run early right when the whole track had NO street tire passes on it. The Viper that won the overall (unlimited car) was running base boost and around 1000-1100 rwhp. Very effortless on the 4.6 pass...

Peter

Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 AM
VRAlexander
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dr_sharp
Did VRAlex make it?

Those are all incredible numbers and I'm sure that you will break into the 4s very soon Markski.
When Mark's car is on 'Kill Mode' he should display the same (or better) numbers than me:

3.84 seconds 60-130mph with one shift.

Wish I would have made the event to verify the above AX-22 numbers....but going to Texas three times in two weeks is just too much...

Originally Posted by houstonT
Results here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=76983

Few notes and corrections:

1. The winner in the street class is running 650 rwhp.
2. The winner in the drag radial class ran 900 rwhp.
3. The winner in the unlimited class ran 1000-1100 rwhp.

My car (5.1) was at about 840 rwhp or so, I was limited by the 275 tire I was running and only at 30 psi of boost (my max rwhp is at 36 psi). Also, my 5.1 was with 2 shifts. The other very quick street Supra ran a PERFECT run to hit 4.9 seconds. He was on 18 inch drag radials and his car dead hooked 2nd gear at about 900 rwhp and was also with 2 shifts. The key was to run early right when the whole track had NO street tire passes on it. The Viper that won the overall (unlimited car) was running base boost and around 1000-1100 rwhp. Very effortless on the 4.6 pass...

Peter
I have been talking with several guys who attended your event....BIG PROPS to you for putting together such an amazing showdown!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
When Mark's car is on 'Kill Mode' he should display the same (or better) numbers than me:

Wish I would have made the event to verify the above AX-22 numbers....but going to Texas three times in two weeks is just too much...

I have been talking with several guys who attended your event....BIG PROPS to you for putting together such an amazing showdown!!!!
Alex,please elaborate on what is involved to switch to kill mode and drop your cars 1.3 sec in 60-130.It would seem to me that if Mark would just switch to kill mode while on the drag strip he could run an easy 9sec pass by just rolling out of the gate at idle.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by joetwint
Alex,please elaborate on what is involved to switch to kill mode and drop your cars 1.3 sec in 60-130.It would seem to me that if Mark would just switch to kill mode while on the drag strip he could run an easy 9sec pass by just rolling out of the gate at idle.
You have PM

Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
You have PM
So do you .

Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Well there you have it people from the Supra Nats man himself. Great event, Peter, congratulations.

Nicks car hasn't been dynoed but I have heard an estimate of 650-680...He had more than a second on me and I put out 590. However, I heard that his car is very light. My GT2 isn't heavy although I have over 100 pounds of stereo equipment.

As for some of the other horsepower numbers I spoke of, they were based on what I heard from others at the event. Just goes to show how a story gets exagerated the more it gets told, lol.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 03-19-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
sy996tt is infamous around these partssy996tt is infamous around these parts

is there a special axle you can recommend to mark to make this run in KILL MODE?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Alex, can you elaborate on your graph. I just dont understand the AX22 software ,but I do understand the Vbox tools and have looked over Mark's data very closely. I do not understand why you are shifting at 103MPH for your 3-4 and Mark is shifting around 126mph for his 3-4. Given you both have roughly the same RPM, within a couple hundred anyway, you seem to be shifting way out of your powerband yet have a substantially faster time ...You are also doing one shift so your 35's need more time to spool as opposed to Mark who used 2 shifts and kept the turbos in the powerband, yet you shifted 23mph sooner than Mark and beat him by 1.3 sec... What was the Dbox time?Help me with this, since I am lost...Still need my Dbox back BTW. Kevin....Here is Mark's graph for comparison:

Last edited by KPG; 03-19-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by KPG
Alex, can you elaborate on your graph. I just dont understand the AX22 software ,but I do understand the Vbox tools and have looked over Mark's data very closely. I do not understand why you are shifting at 103MPH for your 3-4 and Mark is shifting around 126mph for his 3-4. Given you both have roughly the same RPM, within a couple hundred anyway, you seem to be shifting way out of your powerband yet have a substantially faster time ...You are also doing one shift so your 35's need more time to spool as opposed to Mark who used 2 shifts and kept the turbos in the powerband, yet you shifted 23mph sooner than Mark and beat him by 1.3 sec... What was the Dbox time?Help me with this, since I am lost...Still need my Dbox back BTW. Kevin....Here is Mark's graph for comparison:
Kevin,
The cars are quite different in the way they develop the powerband. My shift at 103mph was at 6500RPMs in 3rd gear, my peak “force” not “torque” for my car is at 5K RPMs and goes all the way to 6500RPMs, so I am in my powerband....How can I and Markski be “ a few hundred RPMs” away when he is shifting at 126mph which is about 8K RPMS???.... My shift at 6500RPMs vs. Mark at 8K RPMs, means the force at the wheels is about 20% more than his, so it is normal that I accelerate more.....The spool time of the GT35s have nothing to do with this. I are starting at 4K RPMs approximately at 60MPH, and…with some….driving tricks (no comment)….it takes me less than one second to get at 5K RPMs and be on full boost, so the effect of the Gt35s “lag” is hardly noticeable. If you were to run from 2k RPMs, then that would be different. Another thing to keep in mind is that one shift will yield .3 -.5sec faster times. I also DONT LOOSE ANY BOOST between shifts (as you can see the 'force' keeps accelerating the car during the powershifts) due to some creative engineering . Finally, my car’s long Gs are quite higher than the other, so why wouldn’t I run much faster? I have done so many 60-130mph pulls and experimented with various different strategies on how to get the best time....my good friend, who drives a race car on the weekends, was over a second slower than me behind the wheel of my turbo . There are many ways to 'skin a cat', I think that I found one of the better ways to get a good 60-130 number out of my turbo...Hope this can shed some light on the difference in time..
Kevin, I also want to thank you for sending me your D-Box to test....unfortunantly I only had time for two runs (Car is in Vegas and Dbox in Northern Cali). One of which I ran low boost and timed a 6.1 and the other on high boost at 4.48....unfortunantly I had no time to run on KILL MODE to verify the AX-22...however the low boost run was within .15 of the AX-22.

Last edited by VRAlexander; 03-19-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by sy996tt
is there a special axle you can recommend to mark to make this run in KILL MODE?
Yes....but they are 25K for a set!

Attachment 46938

Attachment 46939

Attachment 46940

I talked to Mark and I think we came up with a good solution!

Last edited by VRAlexander; 04-04-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Alex,

Why isn't your time posted in the official 60-130 standings?

Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Finally, my car’s long Gs are quite higher than the other, so why wouldn’t I run much faster?
Alex, can you post the AVG G's over the course of the run. You made reference to the long G's and they are THE indicator of overall power. I just cant follow your graph since the long G's arent overlaid on the speed line, but from what I can see( I think) your G's arent quite higher at all than Mark. Mark runs about .95g's in 2nd gear, about .65 g's in 3rd and about .4G's in 4th for a very small duration. You are running( I think) about .8 G's in 3rd and about .55g's in third. I think the Avg G's over the run will be quite close for both vehicles, and that is the indicator of power over the course of the run...Avg G's. Is there anyway you can repost that graph with time starting at 0 for the 60mph mark and have the G's overlaid with the corresponding speed? Thanks,Kevin

Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Alex,

It probably has to get verified by Jean.... he looks at the specifics to makes sure its all good ... like Gs, height, etc....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Alex,

I dont like posting my times....Qmile or the 60-130MPH....it is a personal choice...

KPG-
Again, this goes to show how different the cars are...Markski, from what he tells me, has an 'afterburner' effect from 6-8K rpms.....my car is flat like a stock turbo....it is very linear and does not have the NOS effect...I have over 100 runs datalogged for the AX-22...let me dig up that run when I get back to Northern Cali...

Last edited by VRAlexander; 03-19-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
From what I've seen, including my own personal car, it seems that the 996 turbo cars have an advantage in the 60-130 category. This can be attributed to gearing, aerodynamics or other factors. I have seen these cars pull on cars that make almost 200rwhp more. With that being said, I believe that a 996TT/GT2, dialed in correctly, would be a definite force to be reckoned with in the 60-130.

I raced my buddy Vince's 1000+ RWHP TT Viper from 60 to about 120 or 130. We went on 3 honks, me in 3rd I pulled on him all the way up to 100, then when he shifted into 4th it was like I slammed on the brakes, he pulled about 5 car lengths in about 4seconds and kept widening the gap. I haven't found too much of anything that can hang from 60-100 though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Day 3: Supra Nats and the 60-130