996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

For you RUF experts, what is the difference between the 550bhp engine and the 590?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:32 AM
TSP-MIAMI is infamous around these parts
Frosty, Fanman, I totally agree that internal mods and certain changes are needed to maintain engine longevity. Other factors to consider of course is how the whole " package " will be built, tuned for the high HP. The PROGRAMING , I think is most crutial to the type of turbos used, intake piping, intercoolers, exhaust, octane of fuel used. That is where in my opinion could lie the differences in the results we saw down in P.R.

Hamman, definately no mechanical issues or the pedal not being to the floor. The boys down there know how to plant the pedal, I will give them that.

I am sure everything being somewhat the same , a Protomotive car of 650 HP and one of mine with equal HP would make an interesting comparisson I can assure you.

Theo

Old 03-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Crash is infamous around these parts

Ruf cars always turn out better performance than expected from their numbers (their HP numbers are closer to the true WHP numbers). So unless your cars can do 0-124 mph in under 10 seconds, there´s NO way that you could keep up with the 590. That´s just my opinion of course.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 AM
EL750 is infamous around these parts
CGT tested by Auto Motor Sport 0-200km(124mph)=10.2 s

Old 03-16-2004, 09:54 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
I will throw my $0.02 in here.
I had the opportunity to witness a dyno test back to back between my car GIAC Stage 4 (claimed 600hp at crank) and a RUF R Turbo (claimed 550hp at crank). My peak hp was 490hp and the RUF was 493. My peak torque was 475 and the RUF was 467ft-lbs. THey were essentially identical and also proven the numerous times I have run with this car (Sean).
I am going back to dyno my GIAC Stage 4 car this wweek since my right turbo wastegate actuator was improperly adjusted at the time of the original test. I will post my results then.
The Ruf 550 and GIAC Stage 4 packages are essentially identical, both using stock K24's ,a filter change, and an ECU upgrade. I have the headers although I am not sure about the RUF car. The ECU programming varies due to different authors.
The RUF 590 package has stronger internals as well as other variations I am unaware of. The bottom line though is simply stress. Stress is Force per Area. If you make the internals stronger and/or bigger, the stress will be less. Theoretically, a component subjected to a lower stress will last longer. This supports RUF's reasoning and Asgar's explanation.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:57 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
I would love to see the nardo vs a 550bhp RUF.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
Ruf (520):
modified intake system
a new air filtering system
2 high out put turbo chargers
Ruf dual tip sport exhaust with intergrated sport catalyst
a re- mapped ECU module.

So KPV, I believe the headers on a Ruf car are stock. Also, when talking to the Ruf mechanic, I remember him saying that with the Ruf 520 (not sure about 550) that the turbo is more of a re-worked k16 (with k24 internals or something) rather than a true k24. Unless of course, the original car is an X50, then i'm not sure what/how the turbo is modified.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:55 AM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
I may be wrong on this...but I have been told (by Asgar) that the Ruf 550 HP kit used Ruf modified turbos.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Theo,

Why did we miss you at the European Car Shootout? The difference between tuners is that most BS about power figures, and some like Ruf, underestimate output.

If I am not mistaken, you are with FVD, right?

Old 03-16-2004, 01:02 PM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Frosty,

I agree it is confusing

all the best
adam

Old 03-16-2004, 02:30 PM
TSP-MIAMI is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Hamann7
Theo,

Why did we miss you at the European Car Shootout? The difference between tuners is that most BS about power figures, and some like Ruf, underestimate output.

If I am not mistaken, you are with FVD, right?

Hamman, sorry to disappoint you that I could not be there. If I were, results would have been different ....... I can assure you.

Oh, and by the way,....... you ARE mistaken.

Theo

Old 03-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Porsche Fiend
The results would have been different huh?

That's easy to say when one doesn't show up.

I'm not disappointed, I'm just skeptical of your claims since none of us have seen your work around, it seems. Let's see what you've got....

Old 03-16-2004, 03:42 PM
ryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura about
talk is cheap theo
post some timeslips or something

tyson woulda stomped your ***, word!

Old 03-16-2004, 04:02 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ryan
talk is cheap theo
post some timeslips or something

tyson woulda stomped your ***, word!

e thuggin on a p car board? :nono:

Old 03-16-2004, 04:06 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Guys,

FWIW - From what I understand, Theo has a connection to the European RS Tuning technology and installs RS Tuning parts/technology. Personally, I don't know anything about RS, but have heard they make some fast tuner cars.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Porsche Fiend
RS Tuning is very good. They are on par with Ruf.

My friends at Cargraphic support their product, so I have nothing bad to say about them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For you RUF experts, what is the difference between the 550bhp engine and the 590?