996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Schroth or Sabelt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Al, it looks like this won't be quite as easy as I had anticipated. Thanks for all the tips. I'm sure they will come in handy. Great information.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
John, here are those pics of the clip in harness with the BK lap belt mounts...This is the tunnel side...The outer mount is still in my car but is similar but the principle is the same ...here are some better pics of the harness...

Last edited by KPG; 03-26-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, Kevin. I think I now have a pretty good understanding of how to proceed and what to expect. The Simpson harness looks good. I plan to use a Hans or R3 device, as well. Do you know if this Simpson belt is Hans compatible or if there is an alternate one that is?

Last edited by John D; 03-26-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
John and Kevin,

That picture reminds me of why I chose not to use the BK mount on the outboard seat belt. It looked to me like that metal would chafe the gelcoat on the seat. That's why I attached the outboard one with the roll bar bolt.

Kevin, are your seats in your car, and have you found that to be the case? I have put my seats to no practical use as of yet. My car still sits awaiting a bunch of parts from some guy in Germany, and things are really not moving at the rate I had anticipated. The engine is still in 100's of pieces.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
As I understand it, with Kevins method the belts can be simply and completely removed when not in use and with the direct TE bolt mount the belts are not as easily removed. It would be good to know if the BK bracket hits/rubs the GT3 seat. Al, is this the issue in question?

Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D II
As I understand it, with Kevins method the belts can be simply and completely removed when not in use and with the direct TE bolt mount the belts are not as easily removed. It would be good to know if the BK bracket hits/rubs the GT3 seat. Al, is this the issue in question?
Al that is the inboard seat clip...I used the outboard clip with my last setup in the seat belt anchor as you suggested ,but I am not sure if that will work this time since the Teq Bar uses the same mounting point....Those mounts are still in my car which is engineless and not at home so I have not had a chance to fit them...I am sure for the limited time I actually use the harness I can fit something to prevent rubbing...
John, Simpson makes Hans device harnesses for Nascar. How that would fit in our vehicles is anyones guess. I tried to use thier Nascar model and customize it, but they will not modify that particular model in any way since it will violate Nascar's rules... You will have to call them or go with Schroth which makes a 3"/2" shoulder strap for the hans device...Good luck.Kevin

Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
KPG
AL...I just went and looked at my seat and I think the metal block that can be seen in the mounting clip pic should keep the other side away from the seat side... In the pic I posted you can see that the bracket is nowhere near the seat side...The trim on the seat hole may get chafed,but that part is plastic and sold individually according to my PET software... Kevin

Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Kevin,

The chaffing is what I was concerned about. I sandwiched the OEM loop and the BK bracket together on the 3" bolt I mentioned earlier in this thread and everything worked fine. You will see that there is one way that you turn the bracket that will align best from the roll cage bolt to the slot in the seat. I haven't seen the car in a couple of weeks, and can't remember which way I turned it, but it is not at all inconvenient to reach to clip in or clip out---just scoot the seat forward.

John,

Remember to leave the ignition key off until you reconnect the wire to the OEM seat belt latch. Getting that wire out and separating it from the harness that remains on the seat is another "fun" task.

Originally Posted by KPG
AL...I just went and looked at my seat and I think the metal block that can be seen in the mounting clip pic should keep the other side away from the seat side... In the pic I posted you can see that the bracket is nowhere near the seat side...The trim on the seat hole may get chafed,but that part is plastic and sold individually according to my PET software... Kevin

Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Al,

This is sounding like more and more fun. I had hoped to install the roll bar for track days only, which means in and out a few times per year. I hope it goes in easier after the first time because I can tell it's going to be a bit more involved than I thought! Did you have to remove the upper plastic front seat belt guide covers and coat hook to fit the bar in?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:15 AM
john,

Yes--this is about the easiest thing you will have to do. There may be a DIY with some pictures on this forum in that section, or if not over to Renn.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Has anyone used the Schroth 6pt harness / GT3 seat combination? I would like to make sure they work well together - i.e. learn of any problems with tightening the lap belt vs. running out of room due to the seat design...before purchase.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 AM
I have them installed in the pull-down mode. I have not been to an event, as I have no engine, but I have strapped in tightly in play-like mode, and everything feels snug with the seat in driving position. I am 71'' and 175 lbs.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Al,

Could you post the model# and where you purchased them?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by John D II
Al,

Could you post the model# and where you purchased them?
Model # Profi III-6. I Got them from Discovery Parts.

I did not go with a HANS model, because someone saw Jim Downing at a race last year and he had a 3" shoulder strap. He is the co-inventor of the HANS device, and if 3" is good for him, then it's good for me. I have talked to local people who use the 3" strap with HANS and it poses no problem. I think the new HANS has extended the wings that go under the strap, but not sure about that.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:59 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
Here you go!!

Here is another choice...