996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Schroth or Sabelt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Schroth or Sabelt

Which is the better choice for a 6-point harness?
Pull up or pull down style - which is preferable?
Note: To be used with TE roll bar and GT3 seats.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D II
Which is the better choice for a 6-point harness?
Pull up or pull down style - which is preferable?
Note: To be used with TE roll bar and GT3 seats.
John, I had set of Simpson 6pts that I used last season as pull ups and unfortunately they will not work with the new GT3 seats. The buckles end up in the seat side holes and they are too big to pull thru, so I purchased a new pull down set up and they work just fine... Kevin

Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Kevin,

Did you buy the Simpson again? Is it a hybrid design? Any pictures?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Kevin,

Did you buy the Simpson again? Is it a hybrid design? Any pictures?
John , it is Simpson and it is Hybrid...I dont have the pic on my laptop but TopGun will post the pic I sent him...Kevin

Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Here you go!!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks, Guys. Where is the best place to get these?

Old 03-24-2007, 08:11 AM
KPG
Thanks, Guys. Where is the best place to get these?
John, I called Simpson and ordered direct.... http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/ The only reason I went with Simpson again was Schroth wouldnt make a custom pull down lapbelt in a hybrid and they really werent interested in doing anything else custom for me... Simpson put whatever mounting ends i wanted and made the lengths to my specs...This 6 pt is their Formula 6PT model with the upgraded Platinum webbing and upgraded rotary camlock. I had clip in ends sewn in the lap belt so it can be removed from the seat. You will need Brey-Krause seat mount hardware for the clip in option... Kevin

Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks, Kevin.

Could you either post for the benefit of all or if you wish PM or email me with the specifics of what I will require to make all this work with the GT3 seat? As you know, this is a first for me - i.ie. harness, roll bar, seats, etc.

If you have the part numbers for each item required, that would be very helpful, as well...

PS - I was going to buy one of these - Is it necessary?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 PM
KPG
John, here are they BK part numbers from Northstar Motorsports...They may be cheaper elsewhere, but this is where I purchased them
http://northstarmotorsports.com/prod...productID/7730
http://northstarmotorsports.com/prod...productID/2141

The part numbers are BK R-9004 xtra Short Tunnel Side Mount and BK 9003 Outside Seat Mount .... I will post a pic of the belt clipped in to the seat when I get home Sunday...Kevin
BTW, you do need that part you posted...it is the bar that bolts under the seat that you attach your twin anti-sub straps to....

Old 03-24-2007, 11:46 PM
kevin, Thanks again. I would like to see the pictures when you have a chance.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Thanks, Kevin.

Could you either post for the benefit of all or if you wish PM or email me with the specifics of what I will require to make all this work with the GT3 seat? As you know, this is a first for me - i.ie. harness, roll bar, seats, etc.

If you have the part numbers for each item required, that would be very helpful, as well...

PS - I was going to buy one of these - Is it necessary?
The anti-sub bar is necessary and can be purchased from Porsche. It is also nice to have the BK pieces for the lap straps so you can quick disconnect them when you are not using the assembly as in on the streets (not DOT legal.) The part number is BK-R-9004. I used this on the tunnel side attached to the GT3 seat, and also used it on the outer side attached to the through-bolt for the TE roll bar. It is the same location where the OEM belt attaches, and I think it gives a better angle for the lap belt rather than mounting it to the outside of the seat. I also think that location gives less chance of the belt hardware dinging up the gelcoat.

I like the Schroth in the pull-down configuration, to answer your original question.

Last edited by Al Norton; 03-25-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks, Al.

When you install the outside harness mounting clip with the TE bolt - you can still leave the factory belt in place. Correct?

Last edited by John D; 03-25-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
John, that is correct. To make things easier all the way around, what I did was to go to an automotive store and buy 2 grade 8 bolts, the size being 7/16 SAE fine thread (I think the pitch is 24) in a 3" length. This will make the installation easier for you. The roll bar isn't much fun to install. Place the OEM loop on the bolt, being sure to have it passed through the top hole of the GT3 seat, and my preference was to not put it through the lower lap hole. Snap the OEM belt in place and assure that you have no unwanted twist. As I recall, I put the OEM loop on first, and then the BK piece last. They just sandwich together at the head of the bolt. When you do it, it will make sense which goes first.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Al, what is the easiest way to install the bar and seats?

Having never done it before, I am thinking I would:
1) Remove stock seats
2) Position the TE bar in place
3) Remove rear OEM belts, bolt the two rear TE uprights almost fully tight with the OEM belt ends on the outside of the TE bar when replaced
4) Remove the front OEM bolt and belt
5) Install the GT3 seats
6) Run the OEM belts through the seat holes and fully secure the front TE bars with the OEM belts and BK brackets in place...
7) Return to fully tighten the rear uprights
8) Install harness

Is this close? What am I missing?

Thanks, again.

Last edited by John D; 03-25-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Al, what is the easiest way to install the bar and seats?

Having never done it before, I am thinking I would:
1) Remove stock seats
2) Position the TE bar in place
3) Remove rear OEM belts, bolt the two rear TE uprights almost fully tight with the OEM belt ends on the outside of the TE bar when replaced
4) Remove the front OEM bolt and belt
5) Install the GT3 seats
6) Run the OEM belts through the seat holes and fully secure the front TE bars with the OEM belts and BK brackets in place...
7) Return to fully tighten the rear uprights
8) Install harness

Is this close? What am I missing?

Thanks, again.
John, you are close. You may have clearance problems with your rear view mirror, and if you force the bar past, it will dislodge a little clip that must be replaced on the mirror stalk to give the mirror its proper tension.

It will also be helpful to have a HD ratcheting tie-down strap (Home Depot) to squeeze the front struts together as you install. There is quite a bit of compression required on a little plastic support piece underneath the side wall carpeting. You might want to remove that section of side wall carpeting and trim the plastic by a quarter of an inch, or so. You can try to compress that area with a rubber mallet but you run the risk of tearing your carpet. Ask me how I know.

A pry bar and a small block of wood might be helpful in case the final front strut hole doesn't line up just right. Mine didn't, and it took a combination of the ratchet to pull the front bar rearwards and the pry bar to move it upwards.

You must separate the GT3 seats from their tracks to get the anti-sub bar bolted in, and if you plan to use the same location that I did for your OEM bolt-up that would be a good time to remove the door side square-headed through bolt. It is the one that can serve as a place to attach the lap belt for your 6-point system. Once the seats are installed, you can't remove that bolt without once again removing and taking the seats apart. Ask me how I know.

Have fun

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Schroth or Sabelt