996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just finished my UMW k16/k24 Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
I am a bit embarrassed that my garage that was built in 2002 still does not have drywall! So please excuse the mess. The lift just rocks best tool I ever bought.

I like the kit but I am wanting a bit more of something. I really would like to get a ride in a car with different gears.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:05 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
CPU,

I thought it would be a little longer before you wanted more! I think that is where KPG and I ended up, but it took us a full season...

Old 03-29-2007, 12:24 AM
You think a light weight flywheel would help much? What else can I add they improve spool and ultimate power?

Old 03-29-2007, 01:02 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
CPU,

IMO, the LWF revs nicely, but will not trasform the car dramatically, as far as "feeling more power/acelleration". After reading your post, I can not think of anything left other than possibly high flow IC's and maybe a larger TB for some additional mid range and high end power. I happen to like the V-flow, as I can feel the difference. On my car it adds a nice punch to the power band and reduces lag. I see you have the CF sportec. I personally think the V-flow would produce more power and reduce lag a bit more, but you have a sizeable investment there. If you were to do everything I mentioned and the LWF, I think the car would take another step, but I do not think it would be overly substantial.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:12 AM
As several people have PM me this is a UMW k16/k24 Stage 2 Z/C.

Last edited by cpu77; 03-29-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Alex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant future
How do you get to the bicycles?

Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Alex
If you seen me you would realize I don't!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Excellent work doing this yourself, too bad you will be doing it again soon by the sounds of your hp disease! It is growing quickly!

Seems like 700 hp seems to be the major number to quench most people, beyond that it gets real expensive and you need BIG turbo's!

This forum is a sick, sick place!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cpu77
You think a light weight flywheel would help much? What else can I add they improve spool and ultimate power?
Kevin's Wastegate kit...OMG it is unreal. I would add the 5bar FPR and the LWFW....after all it is your money.

John D:
I happen to like the V-flow, as I can feel the difference. On my car it adds a nice punch to the power band and reduces lag. I see you have the CF sportec. I personally think the V-flow would produce more power and reduce lag a bit more, but you have a sizeable investment there.
I understand because you have a V-flow that in your dreams it is making more power, but if you could see the difference in air the Sportec intake allows (twice as much as the V-flow) and with no MAF problems, perhaps you would sing a different tune. I have had both and there is no comparison.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
wross,

It's more than in my dreams - Todd at Protomotive dynoed 30 additional AWHP with the V-flow and ported OEM headers. He had to write a specific program for it. And I can feel the difference when swapping back and forth, so I respectfully disagree with your assessment and tend to believe Protomotives dyno vs. your opinion. Perhaps the Sportec makes even more power than the V-Flow, but that remains to be seen.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I understand because you have a V-flow that in your dreams it is making more power, but if you could see the difference in air the Sportec intake allows (twice as much as the V-flow) and with no MAF problems, perhaps you would sing a different tune. I have had both and there is no comparison.
What objective data do you have to support your conclusion that the V-Flow does not produce any additional power?

What objective data do you have to support your conclusion that the Sportec intake allows "twice as much" airflow as the V-Flow?

What objective data do you have to support your inference that the Sportec intake produces more power than the V-Flow?

I personally have not seen any objective data regarding the Sportec intake. I understand that, subjectively, your seat of the pants test favors the Sportec intake, but I am curious if you have any objective data to support your conclusion that the Sportec intake is superior to the V-Flow in terms of airflow and power.

Thanks,

Craig

Old 03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D II
wross,
It's more than in my dreams - Todd at Protomotive dynoed 30 additional AWHP with the V-flow and ported OEM headers. He had to write a specific program for it. And I can feel the difference when swapping back and forth, so I respectfully disagree with your assessment and tend to believe Protomotives dyno vs. your opinion. Perhaps the Sportec makes even more power than the V-Flow, but that remains to be seen.
So was it the program that delivered the HP or the ported headers or the V-flow? I don't disagree that the V-flow delivers more hp...the argument was about this statement:
On my car it adds a nice punch to the power band and reduces lag. I see you have the CF sportec. I personally think the V-flow would produce more power and reduce lag a bit more
So the argument is about whether the V-flow would make more power (and reduce lag) than the Sportec. I appologize if I have offended any V-flow users.

Craig,
What objective data do you have to support your conclusion that the V-Flow does not produce any additional power?
I have none.

What objective data do you have to support your conclusion that the Sportec intake allows "twice as much" airflow as the V-Flow?
I have measured the area (L x W) of the air intakes on both units, this done with a caliper (objective), the area is twice that of the V-flow.

What objective data do you have to support your inference that the Sportec intake produces more power than the V-Flow?
I was asking for the objective evidence that the V-flow made more than the Sportec...I did not say the Sportec makes more power....but my SOP dyno says yes.

I do have a box of objective evidence of blown MAFs!!!!

Last edited by wross996TT; 03-29-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
16/24 is an awesome kit! Mine will be for sale soon if anyone is interested...

Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
wross,

It was both. The components made significant additional power over the base Protomotive (due to increased air flow), so Todd tweaked the base Protomotive software to adjust AFR's, etc. An additional benefit of these components was reduced lag over the base Protomotive package, as well.

The comment about V-Flow performing better is just my opinion based on intuition, nothing else. I personally can not see how the Sportec intake will flow that much more air than a stock box, unless I do not fully understand the sportec box. Is the outlet of the box the same as stock or larger in diameter?

Old 03-29-2007, 12:42 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
I personally can not see how the Sportec intake will flow that much more air than a stock box, unless I do not fully understand the sportec box. Is the outlet of the box the same as stock or larger in diameter?
John, I had the V-Flow & will have the CF intake box with my new kit. I do not have Evidence of anything yet! but when I cpmpare the inlet where the MAF goes it is at minimal 1" diameter larger. I would assume that it should flow more are with the increase size especially with the higher HP cars that require much more air flow. Of course with tunning to optimize the mod. In my opinion

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just finished my UMW k16/k24 Install