996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just finished my UMW k16/k24 Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:28 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
If the outlet opening is larger on the Sportec, that would explain the increased flow. I was under the impression it was the same as OEM. That being the case, there is most likely not much CPU can do to increase his air flow "In", other than perhaps a larger diameter fresh air intake system like the FVD, Gemballa or EVO to feed the turbos.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D II
If the outlet opening is larger on the Sportec, that would explain the increased flow. I was under the impression it was the same as OEM. That being the case, there is most likely not much CPU can do to increase his air flow "In", other than perhaps a larger diameter fresh air intake system like the FVD, Gemballa or EVO to feed the turbos.
Yes John, like I said I have know evidence yet! I did notice that on the V flow the second opening is a dead one since there's no opning in the deck lid to support it. on the sportec the second opening is functional+the larger diameter, would equal more flow, that with proper tuning in PRINCIPAL should make more power...IMHO...tom

Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
I dont know what I am more impressed with the car or the garage! very nice for both!

Old 03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Cool stuff CPU,
I am also building a new house/garage to accomodate the used hydraulic
lift that I purchased used last summer, in needs 11' clear to have car all the
way up.

MK

Last edited by WOODTSTER; 03-29-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:35 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
Yeah my ceilings are 12' 1/2". My lift requires me to have 12' 1/2" I had to to notch the top to get it in! Now it helps hold the upstairs floor I want to build another house. Next time I want to build my garage in the ground and the house on top Maybe have a garage door lead down to it. Kinda like a parking garage.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
Yes John, like I said I have know evidence yet! I did notice that on the V flow the second opening is a dead one since there's no opning in the deck lid to support it. on the sportec the second opening is functional+the larger diameter, would equal more flow, that with proper tuning in PRINCIPAL should make more power...IMHO...tom
Why is the second hole in the Sportec box functional if there is no corresponding second hole in the deck lid, unless, of course, one were to cut a second hole in the deck lid, which one can do with either intake. I think EVOMS offers two different V-Flows . . . one for the OEM TT deck lid, which I think is intended to seal against the deck lid with a second hole cut through it, and a separate one for the GT2 deck lid with two holes.

I have read EVOMS' explanation as to why the design of its V-Flow is superior to the OEM box in terms of airflow and power, including the better air filter and "Venturi"/vacuum effect (see, e.g., http://www.evoms.com/evo/Pages/BANNER_EVO_VFLOWS.asp ). I, of course, am not qualified to comment on the design benefits cited by EVOMS. I have also seen, and read about, several dyno comparisons which purport to confirm the power gains provided by the V-Flow, including those generated by EVOMS, John's above-stated reference to Protomotive's dyno results, and others.

As stated above, I have never seen, or heard about, any dyno comparisons involving the Sportec box. Moreover, I have never heard a cogent explanation as to why the Sportec box would be expected to produce more power than the OEM box, other than the additional opening (which can be easily replicated on the OEM box, and the additional insulation from heat arising from the carbon fiber). The Sportec box looks great. However, if it is increased performance that one desires, I personally am at a loss to understand why the Sportec box would produce any meaningful power gains. I am the first to admit that I am a moran when it comes to these issues, so I am confident that I am overlooking the obvious. Therefore, I would be grateful if someone would explain in basic terms (that even I can understand) why it is that the Sportec box will, or is expected to, produce a meaningful increase in power as compared to an OEM box with two air intake holes.

Thank you in advance,

Craig

Ps: The MAF problems are an easy target for critics of the V-Flow, and I am the first to acknowledge this unfortunate shortcoming, but my inquiry relates to an entirely different issue, for which references to MAFs are irrelevant.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:37 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
Why is the second hole in the Sportec box functional if there is no corresponding second hole in the deck lid, unless, of course, one were to cut a second hole in the deck lid,
The second air inlet is sealed with a rubber boot to insure hot engine air is not ingested by the engine...

Old 03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Thanks Kevin. Thats what I thought. I *think* the V-Flow also seals to the bottom of the deck lid, in order to prevent the inflow of hot engine air.

Craig

Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
u need small hands thats for sure. yes u take out the secondary air pump first... about 5 screws. ist tight but can be done. a small vacuum hose is attached so dont forget to disconnect it from the pump. make sure u have long pliers to take out the pin thats holding the FPR. dont damage the rubber seal sticking it back inn. have some towels handy casue some fuel will spill. putting it inn is alot harder then taking it out... u need to push it in sideways and at the saem time put the pin inn... its a *****.. u probably will drop the pin a few times and then spend 2 hours looking for it in the engine bay... I would attach a string to it so when it slips and falls u can pull it right up... then when in place just cut the string.
marek
Great write-up, thanks for posting! Smart idea about the string. I can see myself getting caught on it on it when I'm done and pulling out the pin!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Thanks Kevin. Thats what I thought. I *think* the V-Flow also seals to the bottom of the deck lid, in order to prevent the inflow of hot engine air.

Craig
Craig, I had the V-flow and the second opening did "seal" to the bottom of the deck lid....the problem was that no cool air got in there either (always wondered why it was there). You do ask a good question about modifying the stock box for two inlets (which is what the 997TT has BTW). As long as there was a snorkel for fresh air to get in, I imagine it would improve air intake. You would need to construct such a scoop and cut the bracket in the deck lid (all of which is part of the Sportec intake). BTW, I'm probably dumber than you with respect to these cars.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:28 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Craig, I had the V-flow and the second opening did "seal" to the bottom of the deck lid....the problem was that no cool air got in there either (always wondered why it was there). You do ask a good question about modifying the stock box for two inlets (which is what the 997TT has BTW). As long as there was a snorkel for fresh air to get in, I imagine it would improve air intake. You would need to construct such a scoop and cut the bracket in the deck lid (all of which is part of the Sportec intake). BTW, I'm probably dumber than you with respect to these cars.
Exactly! why have the opening if it's not funtional? , as far as the stock box yes, you can open holes but the inlet by Maf is still stock (small) compared to the sportec.......tom

Old 03-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Keep me updated on the house project, I have another client not to far from you.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Craig, I had the V-flow and the second opening did "seal" to the bottom of the deck lid....the problem was that no cool air got in there either
Did you cut a second hole through the bottom of your deck lid for your V-Flow? Both the Sportec and the V-Flow intakes require a second hole in the deck lid in order for the second hole in the box to receive additional air. The Sportec box accepts this air through a second "snorkel," whereas the V-Flow seals directly to the deck lid -- different ways to accomplish the same goal of funneling the cool outside air to the box, without also accepting hot engine air.

BTW, I'm probably dumber than you with respect to these cars.
If I was smarter, I would contest your patently erroneous hypothesis.

Craig

Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !

If I was smarter, I would contest your patently erroneous hypothesis.

Craig
Fine....my Black Lab is smarter than both of you, and she comes when I call...lol...Kevin

Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Craig, I think a second fresh air opening to the V-Flow could possibly improve an already great performing intake and is an idea worth investigating. By creating a fresh air opening in the lid to direct outside air into the sealed cone filter area of the V-Flow, additional cooler air would be readily available.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just finished my UMW k16/k24 Install