996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Which would you rather have on the track, all things considered.
Michelin PSC
45.83%
Yokohama Advan A048
4.17%
Toyo RA-1
37.50%
Nitto NT-01
12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Track/Street Tires, best all around.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:52 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Track/Street Tires, best all around.

I know this has been beaten to death but I’m close to pulling the trigger and there would be nothing worse than to get on the track with a set of tires and regret it and have to wait for a new set or simply waste a set because I hate them. I am classifying them on my list of priorities which includes.

#1 Track Performance (because the track is where I want the results)

#2 Street Driveability (because I don’t want to have to change wheels as of yet, learning progressively before hoosiers)

#3 Cost Effectiveness

I have narrowed my choices down (kinda) to the tires I have heard the most about. I want something that communicates, but not too much, doesn’t need to be shaved for optimum performance. Don’t care about wet performance because I wont drive in the wet

-Michelin PSC $1300 shipped. + fast, street driveable -Long time to warm up, highest cost, low availability

- Nitto NT-01 $1051 shipped. + no shaving needed for optimum performance, long lasting - no available in stock rear size, would have to go 315’s which is a nono for me.

-Toyo Proxes RA-1 $1231 shipped + very fast shaved, long lasting - needs to be shaved

-Yokohama Advan A048 $1300 shipped + Very fast on dry surfacs, decent life span - high cost

I think the fastest tire in this group would be either the A048 or the MSC although I have heard the shaved RA-1 are fast too. I don’t think the Yokos are worth the money. Hear the MSC are hard to get warm although I don’t care much about that because I’m not Racing yet. But the availability is not good either.

P.S. if someone has found better pricing on these tires let me know.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Your selections include street and R compound tires. the best of both worlds for street and track would be MPSCups or The Toyo RA-1's, you dont need to shave them.

OR....get a second set of wheels and put Hoosiers on them!!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:23 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Hoosiers......

Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I absolutely hated my MPSC's with 580 rwhp. They're greasy as hell unless they're burning hot. I'm surprised they're receiving so many votes. Sold them after 3 days of use.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:29 PM
scotty slc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I absolutely hated my MPSC's with 580 rwhp. They're greasy as hell unless they're burning hot. I'm surprised they're receiving so many votes. Sold them after 3 days of use.
Same feelings here, I have alot less HP too.... I would rather run so2a's.... I am going to try out the RA-1's heard good things so we will see

Old 03-30-2007, 02:40 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
same here, was not a fan of the MPSC's.. Well for occasional track use and street driving its hard to beat the PS2's especially for a car that doesnt have traction issues, otherwise IMO RA1's, they are good for a car with good power and that need traction on street or track, cant wait to get my new set

Old 03-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
+3. I had MPSCs for over a year and they were terrible unless really hot, which is difficult to accomplish on the street absent extended canyon driving. During normal street driving, with normal temps, they slip and slide. I currently have MPS2s. They are much better during normal street driving / normal temps. I would like to try the Toyos and/or Nittos, as I have heard good things about both.

Craig

Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Well I'm not too much concerned with them being hot on the street because most of my fast driving will be on the track or highway where traction is less of an issue.

I also meant to add the Kumho Ecsta 700, havent heard much about them here but they seem like they might be a pretty good tire.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Well I'm not too much concerned with them being hot on the street because most of my fast driving will be on the track or highway where traction is less of an issue.

I also meant to add the Kumho Ecsta 700, havent heard much about them here but they seem like they might be a pretty good tire.
The other tires you listed are as good if not better than MPSC's (those from sister companies Nitto and Toyo, especially), but unlike the MPSC's, they don't require 2 laps inside the earth's core to make them sticky.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:43 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Even on the track, the MPSCs takes 2 laps each outing to start warming up. Those two lap can be long and irrating.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 PM
The other tires you listed are as good if not better than MPSC's (those from sister companies Nitto and Toyo, especially), but unlike the MPSC's, they don't require 2 laps inside the earth's core to make them sticky.
I actually think I'm going to try the Kumho's, and if not those I'll try RA-1's. I have eliminated the Nitto's based on the rear tire size (I dont want 315's) I am eliminating the MPSC's mostly because they cost more, take long time to heat up, and since this is an intermediate step for me in terms of tires (street tire >>>> R compound >>>>Hoosier R6 >>>>> Full Slick) I just want something that is predictable and MUCH better than street tires.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:32 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
The NT-01 is 1 generation ahead of the RA-1. The NT-01 is basically the sister tire to the Toyo Proxes R888:

http://www.toyo.co.uk/page.php?identity=r888

The R888 and NT-01 have small differences in tread design, but the carcass and compound are supposed to be near identical.

One of the biggest advantages of this set, according to both Nitto and Toyo, is their stiffer sidewalls as compared to the older RA-1.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
The NT-01 is 1 generation ahead of the RA-1. The NT-01 is basically the sister tire to the Toyo Proxes R888:

http://www.toyo.co.uk/page.php?identity=r888

The R888 and NT-01 have small differences in tread design, but the carcass and compound are supposed to be near identical.

One of the biggest advantages of this set, according to both Nitto and Toyo, is their stiffer sidewalls as compared to the older RA-1.
I agree, Sally. Those are the exact reasons I currently have a set of NT-01's in my garage ready to install on my car after it arrives.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-30-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
I ordered my NT-01s last week. I will let all you guys know how they perform.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Are all of you guys running 315's??? My car is lowered on JIC and will get even lower for my next event so I really cant run a sidewall that big. I prefer no to roll fenders.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track/Street Tires, best all around.