996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Custom Exhaust cutouts on OEM system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Custom Exhaust cutouts on OEM system

HAs anyone done this yet? I just ordered up a set of QTP 3". I am planning on replacing the 1st cats with the cutouts and also removing the secondary cats. I have read a few that were interetsed in doing this but have not seen anyone do it yet? My only concern is there isnt much room.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 AM
LV_V is infamous around these parts
I love it. My only concern is no pics from the finished product!! Bring it!! We love u!!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by LV_V
Bring it!! We love u!!
You guys want a little privacy?

I researched this awhile back, according to the measurements I took you will have to roll the cutouts to get them to fit.......in other words, the butterfly valve won't be pointed straight down, but will be angled to the side.

QTP was worried that the increased temperature (turbo) would hurt the valves reliability but they are cheap enough.

They were also strangely insistant that I supply my own Y pipe......instead of using the one in the kit.

I'm going to leave the cats in an install them just before the 90 degree turn going to the muffler.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I am thinking you may be better off with a used performance exhaust and 100 cell cats.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Nah, the cutouts are cool because you can open or close them at will, like the Kreis-sieg or 9ff exhausts.......but at a reasonable price

Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tom kerr
I am thinking you may be better off with a used performance exhaust and 100 cell cats.
Whats your reasoning? I dont need the cats as I have FVD software.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I was also interested in doing this a while back, and my shop RPM Racing had told me they did a few, but the valves were seizing up due to the extreme heat, dont know!!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I was also interested in doing this a while back, and my shop RPM Racing had told me they did a few, but the valves were seizing up due to the extreme heat, dont know!!

I read the same thing but I heard the QTP valves are built a little better. There cheap enough to replace if that does happen. I would really like to get vacumme opertated valves but ATP turbo has been backordered on these forever.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 PM
sttjmk is infamous around these parts
I'd like to do this on my Turbo S, as well. I am planning on leaving the cats too. My brother has the Fabspeed bypass pipes on his '97 tt and they sound great, cats and all. But, I can't do those if I want to drive to work in the early morning -- My neighbors like to remind me often about my last car with a GHL Turbo-back system. The stock exhaust seems like a major constraint, and bypassing the mufflers should help somewhat. Have you guys thought about where one might locate the electric switch, so that it isn't very noticable?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dgreen78
HAs anyone done this yet? I just ordered up a set of QTP 3". I am planning on replacing the 1st cats with the cutouts and also removing the secondary cats. I have read a few that were interetsed in doing this but have not seen anyone do it yet? My only concern is there isnt much room.

dgreen,

Did you do the qtp valves??

How are they working?

Any pictures of your install?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 PM
intence is infamous around these parts
qtp are known to have their motors burn out. not sure if theyve improved over the years.

i had a DMH cutout on my wrx and it worked flawlessly until usps broke it when i sold it

Old 01-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
dgreen,

Did you do the qtp valves??

How are they working?

Any pictures of your install?
No, never got around to doing it. Read to many stories about valves freezing up.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:48 AM
sttjmk is infamous around these parts
I gave up also. There isn't very much room to work with the piping. One of our strategies was to actually make a cut into the core of the stock muffler unit, and then install the valve. I ran into the manufacturer at Englishtown one day, and he said that he wasn't aware of many, if any installations on porsche tt's.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
The issue with the valve failures is excessive heat. I've been doing some work this week on a similar valve related issue (I'm a Mechanical Engineer), and there are some really good high temperature blankets out there I was unfamiliar with before....this may be a key to making these work.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I was told by someone who tried this and dyno'ed it that they LOST power when open. Just fyi. Not sure which shop now...but a national level one.

Good luck and please report back...pictures too.....

Thanks.

JB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust cutouts on OEM system