996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
God! I spent two hours reading this thread. I beleive i have what RichardCH started with. I have an S-Car-Go Racing modified stock exhaust with rear cat delete and 100 Cell cats installed. Just like Richard i feel the car is just to quiet and sounds like a very strong hairdrier.Other Mods are Garrett BB turbos,Big throttlebody,carbon intake tracts,etc. I plan on doing this mod and posting my results. You guys are totally awesome and more of a team than most posts i have been on.......cheers

Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Savage is infamous around these parts
ok.
I did the tjw mod..and I hate it. I don't know if I did it wrong or what, but I could swear my car seems to have lost power. The sound is a bit drony as well. Is it possible the holes are in the wrong place or too small? I drilled in a little past the curve inside each exhaust pipe. The holes are kind of oval like Whoosh did. I would guess about an inch or so in diameter. HELP.
I read that some people have some spare OEM exhausts out there, I would be interested in getting one.
thanks
Tim

Old 02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Savage
ok.
I did the tjw mod..and I hate it. I don't know if I did it wrong or what, but I could swear my car seems to have lost power. The sound is a bit drony as well. Is it possible the holes are in the wrong place or too small? I drilled in a little past the curve inside each exhaust pipe. The holes are kind of oval like Whoosh did. I would guess about an inch or so in diameter. HELP.
I read that some people have some spare OEM exhausts out there, I would be interested in getting one.
thanks
Tim
Send/post pictures. Read some of my older posts...the flow of air is shown. If the holes are "big"...like 1.75+ inches there is a tiny amount of drone.

Post a WTB on OEM exhaust. On ebay, one can get them relatively cheap...2-400 usually.....

I no longer have my spare....I bought one before I did the mod "just in case" for 100 from a 6speeder....there are great guys on this board....go to the forsale section and post.

Sound is personal...there are guys on this board that have been through 8 aftermarket systems.... I like my TJW mod. We got power, so I am concerned that there may be an "error." But, it could just be your taste. Nothing wrong with that. The power is mid-hump and modest. It is mostly a sound mod....

To everyone, the way to go is small hole, see if you like it and slowly expand.... I of course went to 2.25" right away...but I probably should have gone up slowly as I have mini-drone at 2300 rpm. Nothing bad, but I am sure 0.3" less or so and no issues. I used Woosh's dyno plot to make my decision, so I have max power.

So, post pictures.....do try to get light in so we can see what you did.....

Best.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-05-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Sker66,

Your car sounds like a monster and needs a really good exhuast system.

MK

Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 PM
tjj7ff is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Savage
ok.
thanks
Tim
The holes you drilled sound about the same in size and oval shape as the ones I drilled in mine although mine were drilled at the terminal part of the curve. I don't have any drone but do have little high pitch wine that starts at about 5,000 RPM's. It's only slight, not overwhelming. I think its due to the size of the hole being a little to small. I've just been to lazy to pull the dual tips off to enlarge them a bit. I do think that its a matter of taste. Its a different sound than what you would get with a euro exhaust or similar. I did purchase another OEM exhaust to sell with the TT if the new owner doesn't care for the OEM exhaust modification. No plans to sell it anytime soon although the GT3 RS is so sweet. Hummmm...I wonder if the dog would mind having a roommate?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
THIS will be one of the first mods I do to my car when I get it. Good job guys

Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
maxboost is infamous around these partsmaxboost is infamous around these parts
isnt there a shop in Miami that opens up the stock muffler and mods the baffles?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:13 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Small Shrimp
THIS will be one of the first mods I do to my car when I get it. Good job guys
Thanks. Really a team effort. Most data was from 6speeders. Woosh did the most labor...

TT-tommy: asked and thought it was good....others had tried it earlier...he promoted it while being initially laughted at....

Jcb-memphis: unable to come up with funds for a EuroPipe...so driven by cost issues.....and some homework on flow suggested the mod should work...had an EP system been 1500...I would never have done this.....

Woosh: did the dyno runs....no loss, small gain....see the posts.

To everyone, try to find someone who has this. Like any exhaust, sound is a highly personal thing. The mod cannot be "undone" trivially....ebay has OEM exhausts for now.....some day as the cars age that will dry up....probably 5 years....who knows. Anyway, mine is great. No CEL's or other issues. I plan to keep it even if I go aftermarket in case......it is a keeper. I do find slightly more dirt on the tips to wipe now...something I hear is a major issue with straight pipes.... Very minor. I wipe the tips every 4-7 days. No issues.

I plan to go aftermarket as soon as funds allow. I have my eye on a system.....more later. People in our community are super...all the vendors that are on this forum are supportive, professional, and nice. Most philosophies are customer centric or tech centric.....win win. Best to everyone. You cannot beat this mod for price/fun.....save the 500hp car fiber keyfob rumored to be coming... I have my vendor biases...but I think it best to be supportive and not "this is the only one" about things. The systems out there all speak for themselves either well or not well..... What was fun about this is that it is so simple and it worked. TT tommy had the guts to promote it. I ran with it and woosh did the dyno work. You can always find issues with anything...but we all did this for fun and not for profit. And, everyone is on their own on this. None of us can warrant that it will make you happy. You might even hate the mod. Best of luck.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-06-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
Has anyone with an x50 or K24 turbos done this mod?

I'd really like to get it done as I find the car too quiet but would rather not be the first x50.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
mine is an x50.. its still not loud enough imho.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
My car is an X50 too...Nothing but great things to say about this mod.

Originally Posted by rwilliamtaylor
Has anyone with an x50 or K24 turbos done this mod?

I'd really like to get it done as I find the car too quiet but would rather not be the first x50.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
TT Tommy,

Where did you get yours done. I live in North County San Diego and would drive up to OC.

Thanks,

Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
i have a stock exhaust that ill sell for relatively cheap if someone wants to experiment with this mod...

Old 02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rwilliamtaylor
TT Tommy,

Where did you get yours done. I live in North County San Diego and would drive up to OC.

Thanks,
Bill Brewester 949 366 2009

It will take about an hour.

good guy!

tw

Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
My TJW system is up for grabs. I put a high end aftermarket exhaust (with is actually a little more quiet than the TJW one.....). Anyway, it is priced very agressively. Pictures are in this thread. I am including some dual tips (x73 style I think)....cheap as well. See the for sale section/forum.

For the person saving for a EuroPipe, GMG, UMW, or Switzer or other high end unit, this is a nice step up from stock without breaking the bank.

JB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT